Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-04-06, 12:22 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Flippin'

Hi. I really don't understand how to flip a lure. My rod is 6'6". Would that be a minimum for rod length when flippin'? Can someone please explain it thoroughly?

Thanks

Julien.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 02:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Flipping:

Pitching:

You can flip/pitch with any rod, but it works best with a 7 to 71/2 foot heavy action rod with heavy line, like braid. You need the heavy rod and line since this is a short lining technique. Flipping especially you are using 15 feet of line at the most, and probably closer to 10 feet.
Old 11-04-06, 05:35 PM   #3
pig n jig

I never flip in water deeper than 3 feet.The reason is, I don't like to have alot of line to control by hand when flipping.I pitch 99.9% of the time whether its a foot away from the boat, or 15 feet away.I started with a 6'6" rod, but it was all I had at the time.The shortest I use is a 6'10" rod for jigs now. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 05:52 PM   #4
JB

pnj,
I know what ya mean..I just kept a pendulum going working the bank this afternoon...had about 12 feet of line out and working fallen trees, would pull it out of the water and underhand swing it back near the bank ..its relaxin' ani't it
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 05:53 PM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

ahh. I see. But how do you make it more stealthy than pitching?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 06:02 PM   #6
JB

I see no reason to stop the lure and hold it in your hand for the next cast if you pitching, I usually have my next target picked out before the cast.
If I get in tight and the boats not moving, then occasionally I'll flip, pull some line out and ease the lure into the water. It depends alot on whom I'm fishing with too..the two guys that I have fished with for over 25 years like it upclose and tight...I tend to back off the bank when I;m alone or with denny, it just depends on how sneaky ya wanna be that day
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 07:21 PM   #7
pig n jig

keep the cast low to the water.lift up on your rod tip as the jig is about to hit the water.it stops the lure motion and sets it down through the water without a splash, most times hardly any ripples appear on the surface as the jig lands.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 08:33 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
keep the cast low to the water.lift up on your rod tip as the jig is about to hit the water.it stops the lure motion and sets it down through the water without a splash, most times hardly any ripples appear on the surface as the jig lands.
HA, for you maybe rotflmao

Lizards
Old 11-05-06, 07:53 PM   #9
PowerBass

Right now, I am using a QuantumTour Edition(last years, not the new PT ones) H eavy action 7ft 6inch teloscopic. I usually flip a Biten Bass Beaver bite, in baclk blue fleck, 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz to start tungsten weight exclusivley. I use Gamakatzu G Lock hooks for the beavers. My line is either 15 lb mono, for finnese flippin and clearer water, 20 lb mono, for timber, and 65 lb bradi for lilly pads, heavy laydowns.
Old 11-05-06, 08:04 PM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i have the quantum tour ediion pt ones and they rock!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 11:01 AM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
ahh. I see. But how do you make it more stealthy than pitching?
dam good question.. i can make my pitches go in silently but my flips slap the water..and i have been doing it a while..

zooker
Old 11-10-06, 09:34 AM   #12
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

you can also fkip faster than you can pitch. its not a lot faster but when your in a tournament every second counts.
Old 11-10-06, 07:50 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32 View Post
you can also fkip faster than you can pitch. its not a lot faster but when your in a tournament every second counts.

Sometimes your are right every second counts. However IMO more time than not, slowing down will work better than speeding up. I see too many folks in tourneys try to cover too much water, and fly by fish, because they can't slow down. This is just my opion of course.

Lizards
Old 11-11-06, 11:08 AM   #14
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i agree with you lizards. some people fish way to fast for their ability. im not saying i know this but i am learning. van dam is known for fishing faster than anyone else. the difference between him and the average joe is he knows where the place is that most likely will be holding the fish.
Old 11-18-06, 10:18 PM   #15
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

PNJ and others said it well. Lifting the rod tip as the bait approaches the water slows it down allowing a silent entry. However, practicing this is relatively difficult. For me the easiest way to practice flipping is to set up a cup in th back yard and flip into it from different distances, angles and lengths. By spring you'll be a pro. Also, if you use a baitcaster, loosen the tension cap thingy (technical term) completely. This will keep you rod from acting like a pendulum for your bait and keep it close to the water. But, don't loosen it too much or your cap will come off and be lost forever!

Hope this helps,

Jolly

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.