Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-20-06, 06:37 PM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default how do big fish bite

Ok...I went out on the lake all weekend. I caught probably 40 fish but none of them were big. The biggest one was probably 14 inches. I am using T-rigged plastic and I feel the fish hit. Several taps and then I set the hook.

The guy I'm fishing with caught a few more fish and several (maybe 5-6) that were between 15-20 inches. He says they bite differently but can't explain it.

I can't believe that no larger fish went for my bait (the same as what he was using) but only went for his. So I believe I'm getting bit but am unaware of it.

I was useing 1/8 ounce bullet weight I think. I was just kind of slowly bouncing the worm back to the boat. The weight was right at the point where I could sometimes feel it hitting the bottom and others I couldn't after a bounce.

I'm not sure if I need to change my weight, technique or just need more practice.

Also, back to the first part of the post...What should I be feeling when a larger fish takes the bait?

Thanks,

Aaron
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 07:07 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

its dif almost every time, depending on the time of year, but in general, a big bass will suck in a bait and not hardly move at all for a few seconds, compared to a dink that will hit and run with it immediately..
but you can get big bass to hit and run deep, or peck peck peck, it really depends on the mood of the feed IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 07:41 PM   #3
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Usually a bigger fish hits it once, hard, and smaller ones more peck at it. Try using scent to make them hold on longer.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 09:25 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Sometimes you feel that thump-thump, sometimes they try to pull the rod out of your hand, and sometimes you don't feel them at all-the bait just gets "heavy". Yesterday the biggest I got was about three lbs and it felt like I just got hung up on something until it started to move. Like JB said, it is different every time.
Old 08-20-06, 09:34 PM   #5
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

You learn something new every day.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 10:23 PM   #6
Vabass22

I brought in a fish today, that I didn't even know I had. I don't need to mention it was 7 inches, and the only fish of the day!
Old 08-21-06, 08:06 AM   #7
Fishie1

good tip I got from Woo Daves is that you throw a worm out there and fish it....notice the feel when nothing is hitting it......whenever it feels different than that set the hook! Works well esp. for people who haven't fished worms all that long...
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 02:27 PM   #8
skeeter944

good tip fishie1,that is a good rule to fish by.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 02:30 PM   #9
Raul

Bite vs size ? I would not put my hands in the fire saying that bigger fish bite different from smaller fish because as always, it depends on the circumstances, the only time I can say that I have a goodun is during the hookset and the immediate response of the the fish.

For example, the day I caught my first 10 pounder I was fishing with a rapala original minnow deadsticking it, just an ocassional twitch to make the bait wiggle. She just engulfed the bait without even make the water ripple, if for a moment I had lost eye contact with the bait I would have missed the strike. That same day I caught another bigun with a spinnerbait, slightly smaller than the first, she just smashed the bait with gusto.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 02:56 PM   #10
Fishie1

Raul,
I have noticed that big fish on topwaters usually just suck it in without making a ripple hardley like you said.....little ones will try and smash it...lol.
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 10:41 AM   #11
Vabass22

Good job raul, did you get pics! And yeah that is true, but I love to see a fish, be it a small one smash a topwater. You gotta love it.
Old 08-22-06, 11:41 AM   #12
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie1 View Post
Raul,
I have noticed that big fish on topwaters usually just suck it in without making a ripple hardley like you said.....little ones will try and smash it...lol.
I noticed that a while back.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 11:51 AM   #13
JB

most of the time the river fish just suck it in, but other places we go, depending on the time of the year, the bass make a noticable explosion on the top of the water..it varies from place to place and water conditions, etc
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 04:35 PM   #14
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
Good job raul, did you get pics! And yeah that is true, but I love to see a fish, be it a small one smash a topwater. You gotta love it.
Better than a pic, I have a replica. Which, btw, I just canīt seem too find.......women ! how come they "organize" your stuff and you never see it again ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.