Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-23-06, 04:36 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Getting started (tackle)

What Tackle Should I Buy?
In today's world there are 1000's of different types of tackle (lures, line, etc.). So what do you need? Well, that depends on the specific type of fishing you will be doing. For first timers I would suggest you get some small hooks, several different sized split shots, some red/white bobbers (or if you are serious about fishing some slip bobbers), and your simple rod and reel combo (see Rods & Reels) spooled up with 10lb test line. For the first timer I would suggest you use live bait such as worms and minnows. With this equipment you will get mostly panfish and the occasional bass. After learning, through experience, how the fish live in their habitat you can make some decisions on what tackle you need to catch the bigger fish.

I fully understand the price of lures nowadays so I will make it easy so the "budgeted" fisherman can still have a great time out on the water. First of all I want to tell you something straight out, lures are 90% of the time made to catch the eye of the fisherman, not the fish. Here is an example. Crankbaits are generally always painted like this; dark on top and light on bottom. Go ahead, check out your supply of crankbaits, the odds are they will all be like this. I do not understand why they are coloured like this because when a fish looks up toward a lure they see the light colour on the light surface, and when they look down on the lure they see dark lures on the dark bottom of the lake. I do not understand why they are like this. Maybe because the lure looks more pleasing to the angler because it looks like a real fish, but that does not mean it looks more pleasing to the fish. Do not just buy some fancy lure that is your favourite colour or has a fancy box. This is where you must refer to the lures section of this web page.

Always remember that quality is what you want, not quantity. There are some lures that look similar at a quick glance, and one is only $5 while the other is almost twice as much. The cheaper lures seem like they do not have the same fish catching action as quality made lures. And do not go out and buy $100 worth of just lures the first time you go out (even though that would be extremely easy), unless you are loaded, but lets face it, most of us are not. Just buy a couple at a time that seem appropriate for the situation. That way it is easier on your wallet and the Mrs. will not notice the money being spent as much. As you learn more about fishing and the fish you can buy more and more lures nd before you know it your big tackle box will be full.

If I only had one lure what would it be? A common question among new fisherman. And let me tell you that there is no one lure out there that is a type of super lure. I would describe lures to golf clubs. If you were golfing would you ever go out with just one club? I didn't think so. Different clubs are called for different situations. Just as different lures are called for different situations. But since this a largemouth bass fishing site I guess I can think of just one lure that is a good overall lure for largemouth bass. Not many people will be able to tell you that this particular lure is the super bass lure. And I am sure this will bring up much controversy. Well, let me tell you. The super lure is the one and only chartreuse skirted, pointed head, colarado blade spinnerbait. I have found that over the years this lure is good in practically any situation. And it can be fished with so many different types of retrieves. Well, there you have it, the super lure. But remember, this lure is a great overall lure, but there are many different lures that can beat it hands down in a specific condition. Experiment, and refer to the lures section of this page for more information.
Old 08-23-06, 04:41 PM   #2
flbassman

Good stuff recently zilla. Copying or writing?
Old 08-23-06, 04:46 PM   #3
ROBZILLA

Just finding posts for the lazy impaired, and some is mine as well. If it's soo easy to find why do they keep asking. So I thought I would bring it to them! You know how many times I write out hints and tips? Al ot this just saves me doing it over and over.
Old 08-23-06, 04:49 PM   #4
flbassman

Good idea. I'll drag a few up.
Old 08-23-06, 09:09 PM   #5
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is my starters list

1. 100 4/0 hooks
2. bullet weights 1/4th to 1/2 oz
3. two shallow crankbaits
4 bag of 6inch worms
5. spinnerbait
6 jig
7.popper
8. senkos
9. rattle trap

thats what I would start with............probably cost you around $33 bucks all together

or you could get yourself some circle hooks and some minnows and throw it out there and save yourself about 26 dollars....lol.
but where's the fun in that!
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.