Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-01-06, 07:52 PM   #1
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New to Bassin'

Aight so i live in Sarasota-Bradenton area and there are lots of small lakes. now for starters how do i know which lakes are good? theres one lake thats medium size and ive got 3 bass total in a couple days. Ive had little luck to say. im new to it. all tips and stuff will be appreciated. also i have a normal spinning rod. the lake also is about 10-15 ft deep at the most probably?
dye4metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:23 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

the only way to find out if there are bass in it, is to fish it.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:32 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thats the same questions my lil' nephew would ask, he finally went out with nightcrawlers and "we haven't seen him since"

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:32 PM   #4
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

well i found one with fish in it. what are some good tips tho i mean like if i didnt really know any better id be out there with a bobber and worm. wat do good lakes look like tho i wanna know that
Old 11-01-06, 09:56 PM   #5
skeeter944

what size and action spinning rod do you have? what kind of line? for baits,try senkos or zoom trick worms. stick with 3 colors ,watermelonseed,pumpkinseed,and junebug. for hooks,get a couple packs of 2/0 and 3/0 EWG gamakatsu hooks. get some bullet weights in 1/8 ounce and 1/4 ounce. fish them using a texas rig,either weightless or with the weight in front of the hook. to fish them,cast it out near some cover and let it hit the bottom,then give it some hops,let it rest,shake it let it rest,drag it let it rest,and you could try slowly retreiving it. the bite will feel like a "tap,tap,tap," or a "tick",or sometimes your line will zip off or you will see it twitch,or you will feel heavyness or weightlessness. expeirience is the best tool. just fish as much as you can,and fish often. BTW,welcome to the forum! if there are any other questions you have,feel free to send me a pm anytime,i will be glad to help you out.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:01 PM   #6
skeeter944

also,heres some good websites to help you.
bassdozer.com/articles.shtml
bassresource.com/fish/bass_fish.html
catcherman.com/features/rigging/texasrigging030602sportmn.htm
Old 11-01-06, 10:08 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Hey another Fla man! Is this one of our common Fl retention ponds? What is the clarity of the water? What kind of weeds or aquatic vegetation? Cypress Trees?

Chris from N. Orlando
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:15 PM   #8
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

the lake is pretty dark. i wanna get a falcon pole with a quantum reel(spinning) but for now ive been using a old bass proshop pole. thanx skeeter. yea i tried the texas worms in it and it worked. haha theres tons of gators if that means anything for fish? when looking for ponds to fish what should i look for? the lake is kinda dark. tehy are all kept clean. it has lilly pads in some areas
Old 11-02-06, 10:17 AM   #9
skeeter944

well,you want some cover and places for bass to hide. i dont like to fish with alligators,though.
Old 11-02-06, 06:28 PM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

i've never fished where there are gators except choke canyon, but maybe that means that there is an abundance of small fish, like panfish or bass.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 12:24 AM   #11
TagNBrag
BassFishin.Com Member

Some of those small ponds hold some pigs. Keep fishin' it.
TagNBrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 08:12 PM   #12
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try some weightless plastic worms and lizards, along with some flukes. Rig them weedless. You will catch fish if you fish where the fish are. Always look for something different. If the weeds are along the edge, and then there is a small little indentation in the weeds throw to that spot. If you see a twig sticking up throw to that spot. Small ponds can be covered quickly, but if it's over say three years old, it almost certainly has some bass in it. The older it is, the more of a chance for a bigger fish. Stay away from the gators though.

Lizards
Old 11-06-06, 08:39 PM   #13
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

thanx lizards. do gators mean anything? also if its heavily brushed does that help? and like what do good lakes look like. cause there are some lakes that are just lake no weeds or lilly pads.
Old 11-16-06, 01:26 AM   #14
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

I see it like this if there are gators in the area theres fish there. I've done my share of swamp fishin and had really good luck but you gotta watch out though especially if the young gators have just hatched out mama gator will come at ya
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 12:08 AM   #15
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

yea. i wanna go night fishing but its a little sketchy. i still go. i just need to know when there mating season is
Old 11-17-06, 11:53 AM   #16
skeeter944

spring,but take a big light like a spotlight and if you see the reflections from their eyes,you know they are there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.