Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-07, 10:04 PM   #1
tango3065
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just got a new spinning reel need opinions on it

I have been using baitcaster only for bass but decided I need a spinner for unweighted worms so I ordered a daiwa to match my new daiwa procaster baitcater. It is a Daiwa Caprice 3500 Hardbodz (all aluminum frame) which retails for 79.99 but I lucked out and found it listed in the wrong category on Ebay and won it for 15 bucks shipped and it is NEW In the box and not a refurb, anyway anyone have any experience with these or opinions?
BTW the only thing I worry about is that it might be a little large because it holds the same amount of line as a Mitchell 300X but for the price I couldn't pass it up and it says on Daiwa's website that the HARDBODZ has a small frame since they are all aluminum so hopefully it won't be as huge as I am expecting, and I plan on mounting it on a new Berkley 6' medium action lightning rod.

DAIWA CAPRICE HARDBODYZ All Aluminum Frame
CP3500 MH/M 3 BB, 1 RB 4.9 : 1 33.9" 13.80 10/240, 12/210, 14/170

Four ball and roller bearings
Infinite Anti-Reverse
BailSafe™ locks bail open on outcast
Aluminum Advanced Ballistic System spool
Twist Buster™
Advanced Locomotive Levelwind
Gyro Spin™ balanced
Lifetime Bail Spring (no more broken springs)

Last edited by tango3065; 07-06-07 at 10:20 PM.
tango3065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 12:46 AM   #2
tango3065
BassFishin.Com Member

Does anyone think this reel will be to large (overkill) for bass fishing?
Old 07-07-07, 02:04 AM   #3
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

As long as you fish it on a longer rod it should be good. My buddy uses the exact same spinning rod and he started fishing it on a 6ft rod and it wouldnt cast very far. He switch to a 6'6 and 7'0 rod and now he casts like a champ. That is a good reel.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:09 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tango,

I'm of the opinion (based on extensive research and experience) that your reel, though a good one, is a tad large and HEAVY for use with a 6' Med. power rod. The main drawback involves what we older hands call "balance".
With that large a reel BEHIND the hand, the rig will likely be too tailheavy to afford the deft manipulations requisite to causing the weightless worm to perform it's seductive little wiggle and gyrations. Early onset fatigue will likely result as well.
I'd suggest you select a 7' rod of Medium Heavy power with a FAST(!!!) tip action. This will better balance the rig so far as ergonomics are concerned and will allow you to better enjoy your new reel. Moreover, it will enhance your fishcatching.
This particular combo will also serve well when fishing larger flukes, wacky-rigged worms and soft stick baits, so well as t-rigs up to perhaps 3/16 oz-weighted ones AND 1/8-3/16 oz finesse jigs. You will have enhanced "worm dancing" and distance with light lures because of the faster tip and excellent hooksetting and fighting power due to the butt strength of the rod, especially a Med/Hvy.
Casting, both as to distance AND accuracy, with the rig you currently envision will suffer due to the imbalance, especially if you use mono line over #10 test. Besides, filling that reel's spool for the first time will have a detrimental effect on your line budget and simply waste new line that, unless you use a fair amount of old line as backing, will remain unwetted.
Even if you need to delay using the new treasure until you can buy the RIGHT rod, it will be greatly rewarding in the long run. There are numerous rods in the 75-115 dollar range that will make this new reel shine.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:45 PM   #5
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango3065 View Post
Does anyone think this reel will be to large (overkill) for bass fishing?
No. Overkill would be line size and/or rod power. This reel may have disadvantages as others have spoken about, but it's not overkill. I used another model Daiwa in the 3500 size on a 6'6" rod and I don't think it affected my fishing, but I much prefer the 2500 size.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 07:59 PM   #6
tango3065
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks I may just use this a catfish only reel and get a 2000 or 2500 size reel for bass if this one seems to big which it probably will. But either way for the price I gave for it it is a win win situation and I need a new cat reel since my big catfish Rhino spinning reel couldn't last a lot longer and I have also been eyeing a nice little pinnacle 9BB spinning reel that holds 100 yds of 10lb line at my local BPS that is priced pretty cheap .
Old 07-07-07, 08:01 PM   #7
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i use a 4000 size pflueger medalist.a 3500 is fine.bigger reels are less prone to line twist because of the bigger spool.they are also stronger and usually have stronger drags.i think 2500 reels are to small for bass.
Old 07-08-07, 01:25 AM   #8
crab
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice looking reel but Im a Shimano man myself.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 08:40 AM   #9
FlyRod

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
Nice looking reel but Im a Shimano man myself.
How does THAT help the kid

Heck, I'm a Shimano Chronarch50MG, Curado 200BSF, Curado 100B (w/wiffle conversion), Ambassadeur REVO (7:1), Diawa Viento, Daiwa 153HST, man myself (Qauntum Ti-mags for spinning, BTW.) but none of that applies to Tango's Tribulations...now does it?
Next week, we'll inventory my casting rods, spinning rods, and, for a special treat. my flyfishing toys But that won't help Tango either

Mmmmmmm...steamed Crab!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 11:55 AM   #10
tango3065
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I also ordered a pinnacle extant all metel which is about a 2000 series size and holds 100yds of 8lb so i will probably use the pinnacle for bass and use the daiwa caprice 3500 all metal for cats or I ay sell it if I think it is really big because I hate huge reels but either way for what I gave for and it being NIB I couldn't pass it up.
Old 07-08-07, 12:01 PM   #11
crab
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No heck I dont get mad that easy! I overlook the lost! and well I thought it might help him if he knew the ledgend that I am used Shimano!
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 12:19 PM   #12
tango3065
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually I own a Curado and my father inlaw owns a several but Shimano for the price don't impress me alot. As for baitcasters Daiwa and BPS can't be beat for the price and from the looks and what I have heard the PBS is made by pinnacle.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.