Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-09, 04:28 AM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Economy Solution

Economy solution
This is from an article in the St. Petersburg Times
Newspaper on Sunday.
The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix
the Economy?"
I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,
Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy.
Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the
money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following
plan. You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:
There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. - Pay
them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the
following stipulations:
1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.
2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto
Industry fixed.
3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing
Crisis fixed. It can't get any easier than that! P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in
Congress and their constituents pay their
taxes...
Old 09-06-09, 12:44 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

add this to it lash. change the tax system to a flat rate of only 10%. funding fixed.
Old 09-06-09, 04:23 PM   #3
WTL

The only people who think that idea is any good are over 50. Terrible idea. Doesnt fix any of those 3 crisis, just bandaids them further.
Old 09-06-09, 05:09 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Funny....amusing...but it is farcical.

You do realize that 40 million times 1 million is 40 trillion, right?

And our current national debt is around 10 trillion.

If you took the whole country, and sold every bit of property we owned, lock, stock, and barrel, it wouldn't be worth 50 trillion dollars. So you could just print a bunch of money, right? but then 2 bedroom houses would be worth 2 million dollars, so you'd be right back to where you started.

I love foolishly simple economic solutions. Always good for a laugh.
Old 09-06-09, 06:52 PM   #5
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Funny....amusing...but it is farcical.

You do realize that 40 million times 1 million is 40 trillion, right?

And our current national debt is around 10 trillion.

If you took the whole country, and sold every bit of property we owned, lock, stock, and barrel, it wouldn't be worth 50 trillion dollars. So you could just print a bunch of money, right? but then 2 bedroom houses would be worth 2 million dollars, so you'd be right back to where you started.

I love foolishly simple economic solutions. Always good for a laugh.
Exactly right nofear. And about the auto industry. If everyone bought a new car at the same time , no body would buy cars down the line and the auto industry would simply collapse a few years down the line.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 08:31 PM   #6
1/4 stick

Not to mention a million will not last as long as people would think. Especially since they're not working, they'll have to be paying those property taxes out of that million, health insurance out of that million, no doubt they figure out a way to make you pay taxes on that million itself. And after 50 is when all those smokes, beer, and double cheese burgers start coming back to bite ya. As I said, you're gonna have to make payments on the health insurance, they'll also be the deductable to pay, I'm sure there'll be taxes on use of government heatlh facilities. Of course you'll have to wait your turn to get treated or take the money from that million to fly to France or China, or where ever you'll be able to pay to go ahead and be treated so you can live.... Gotta eat too... I think I'll stop there, I'm getting depressed.
Old 09-06-09, 10:01 PM   #7
bamabassman

i was just kidding gang. ot really thining too much about things. still trying to settle in the new house. hahahahahahaaha.
Old 09-06-09, 10:19 PM   #8
1/4 stick

Hey! We can all move into bama's new house when we hit 50!
Old 09-06-09, 10:21 PM   #9
bamabassman

sure ya can stick. hahahaha. i gots a big ol attic just fo your kind. hahahahahahahahaha.
Old 09-06-09, 10:22 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sure ya can stick. hahahaha. i gots a big ol attic just fo your kind. hahahahahahahahaha.
lol, that's a step up from the basement.
Old 09-06-09, 10:25 PM   #11
bamabassman

hahaha, see i'll be helping you move up in the world stick. you know i take care of my friends, hehehehehehe.
Old 09-06-09, 11:08 PM   #12
bcklash

This was an e-mail sent to me has a joke. Nobody in their right mind or whatever mind they might have at the moment would believe this could work. But the posts have been interesting.

Maybe that guy in ny
Old 09-07-09, 11:30 PM   #13
bamabassman

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BUSTING OUT LAUGHING LASH! that was funnier than he77!
Old 09-08-09, 08:54 PM   #14
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

While it isn't remotely a solution to the problem, you gotta admit, it would have been a better idea than buying beer and hookers for the bank CEO's we bailed out...
Old 09-08-09, 09:07 PM   #15
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
This was an e-mail sent to me has a joke. Nobody in their right mind or whatever mind they might have at the moment would believe this could work. But the posts have been interesting.

Maybe that guy in ny
I know, but it was a perfect place fer my 2 sense. Course some say I don't have no sense, but I just show then the ham.
Old 09-08-09, 09:09 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
i know, but it was a perfect place fer my 2 sense. Course some say i don't have no sense, but i just show then the ham. :d
rotflmao.......
Old 09-08-09, 09:13 PM   #17
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
While it isn't remotely a solution to the problem, you gotta admit, it would have been a better idea than buying beer and hookers for the bank CEO's we bailed out...
Now theres nothing wrong with beer and hookers.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:23 PM   #18
wargoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Now theres nothing wrong with beer and hookers.
There is when it is the U.S. taxpayer being forced to pay for them so some incompetant CEO can be rewarded for failing...
Old 09-08-09, 10:47 PM   #19
bamabassman

that's the american way gang.
Old 09-08-09, 10:59 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Hey...we reward millions of people for failing every day.

When they smoke the cigarettes and drink the beer they they bought with the cash they traded their welfare checks to their relatives for.

When they buy 20" rims for their ghetto-mobile and let me pick up the tab for supposedly educating their born-out-of-wedlock rugrats.

When they get signed on as the general contractor for a $40,000,000 project, just so they can take their 20% markup without lifting a single hammer and the client gets a big fat tax credit and a warm and fuzzy feeling for hiring a minority contractor.

Isn't this country great?
Old 09-09-09, 12:59 PM   #21
DonaldBreland

Actually this country is great. I'm not going to let some president ruin my thought on this country. I am an American and when we start talking bad about our country we are talking bad about our heroes defending it. I would rather live here in America then live in any other country in the world. We have it better over here and I guarantee that non of you typing on this board are going hungry. That is great. I bet all of you have a house to live in. That is great. We still have more opportunity in this country than we have anywhere else. And my friends that is great. Some things need to be fixed but I think we are all on the wrong paths. we worry about global warming, health care and sending our money to help other countries. I understand that we need to help but with all the money we are sending away we should help our people out over here.
I think there is things that are more important in this country that needs to be fixed. First is racism. Racism can be fixed. Its not hopeless. We need to help our homeless. we need to help our orphans by giving them hope that they can achieve any goals they set no matter where they came from in life. I think our number one problem in this country is our school systems. I think we need to be a little stricter on our kids by allowing parents to put a foot in their kids behinds if they act up. Im 29 years old and when I was in school our principal could paddle us. Now they cant touch us. Thats b.s. Thats why you see kids killing kids at school and all these gangs. Bring back corporal punishment and you will help someone out in life. I think all these other things are not helping our country but I still think we live in the greatest country in the world.
We as country need to be more positive than negative. I have a little test for you. During a day have your wife count how many negative things come out of your mouth a day and you do the same for her. Then count the positives. If you think negative then negative things will happen, but if you think positive then positive things will happen. Thats one thing I can guarantee.
Im going to leave you guys with this.
My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of
liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land of my fathers’ pride,
Land of the pilgrims’ pride,
From ev’ry mountainside, let freedom
ring.
Our fathers’ God, to Thee, Author of
liberty,
To Thee we sing;
Long may our land be bright
With freedom’s holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King.

America the Beautiful
O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain;
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.
O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine.
O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees, beyond the years,
Thine alabaster cities gleam –
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

Im not downing any of you guys this. What I said goes for Americans who think this Country is not the greatest ever. I love this country and the people and respect each of your opinions on here. This is a great site and the information given is phenomenal. I encourage everyone to try the positive thinking though. You will be amazed how negative we speak sometimes. If you start speaking positive I promise things will start getting better. Love y'all and God Bless
Old 09-09-09, 09:14 PM   #22
wargoth

I absolutely love my country, and do feel it is the greatest nation on this here ball 'o' dirt. With that said, the criticism is very valid, we have spent far to long, and far too much money rewarding failure in this country. Unfortunately, our elected officials seem to believe that the solution to any problem is to throw alot of money at it rather than to look for real solutions. The bailout is nothing more than placing a bandaid on the lacerated femoral artery of this nation. This great country was founded on the principles of capitalism, and guess what? Capitalism has worked in 100% of the places it has been tried. CEO's who run their corporations into the ground should not be rewarded. Corporations who allow these CEO's to run their companies into the dirt should be allowed to fail. There is no business in this country that is so important that it couldn't be replaced by another company that does the same thing and does it more responsibly.

There is only one purpose to being in business and that is to make money. If a company cannot do that for one reason or another, it should be allowed to fail, and make way for a business that can make it. Of course the reason for the home lending companies failure is government interference. For far too long the fed was telling these lenders "go ahead and write loans you know will never be paid back as long as it is for a minority, we will pay it off if they default". Well what the hell did they think was going to happen if they removed all responsibility from these lenders like that? They didn't care is the answer, as long as said minorities voted for them to keep them in power.

Government interference in business fails 100% of the time. Sure, we need some legislation to maintain some standards, but enough is enough. We are regulating half of our businesses into bankruptcy with silly pointless legislation, it is no wonder we are economic midgets these days.

Government is NOT the solution to all problems like many of those in office seem to believe. The more regulations and bureaucracy we create, the less wealth this nation creates.

Sadly, our elect officials can't seem to see past their own bank accounts enough to give a damn. As long as they have theirs and people are foolish enough to keep them in office, they are happy. It is time we got some real conservatives into congress, to fix this mess that 30 years of liberalism have created. And don't make the mistake of believing republican = conservative, as the ONLY 2 conservatives currently in congress are both democrats.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.