Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-17-13, 12:06 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default First weekend of "guiding"...

We hosted our first guests of the season a weekend ago when my brother-in-law and his family were up at our cabin with us, so I got my first opportunities of the year to take guests out fishing with me. No one wanted to get up early with me on Saturday morning (I was on the water at 5:00 a.m.), so it was a solo outing. It was an uneventful 2.5 hour outing. I caught 6 LM, 3 Rock Bass, 1 Smallie and 1 Crappie (9.5"), but nothing of any size, biggest was a 2lb 3oz LM. I took two of my nephews out for a couple hours in the afternoon and hosted another dinkfest -- 8 fish for me (2.0 LM biggest) and 2 fish for one nephew. The youngest nephew (9) was too busy paying attention to everything else in sight except for what his lure was doing in the water and wanted to change lures every 5 minutes (or less), so it would have taken a miracle for him to catch anything. There was no miracle and he got skunked.

I stayed back at the dock with the 9-year old that evening while my wife, brother-in-law and other nephew took our boat out chasing walleyes (they brought back 3 for the freezer). We typically have pretty good fishing from our dock, but it hadn't gotten going yet this year and I was still looking for my first dock fish. The no wake zone channel that we're on is about 7-8 feet deep in the middle and has nice weeds (once they grow up) bordered by sand on both sides, so we get fish of all species cruising through. Here is what it look like out in the middle once everything is grown up.

I had better luck in one hour on the dock than the entire rest of the weekend combined. I started with a 3/8oz. minnow-colored "bladed jig" from Boogieman (thanks, Bruce!) and almost immediately caught a 2lb 1oz and 2lb 6oz LM. Ten minutes after those two reached the dock, Boogieman's "magic" lure helped me land this nice 17.25" walleye! That was quite unexpected and it made a great meal for Kaye and me on Monday evening.

I wanted to try some topwater also, so I switched over to a Zara Spook a few minutes later. I made about as long a cast as I could straight across the channel and the lure plunked down somewhat close to the other shoreline over the sand/beach area. I had no sooner started walking it back to me when it very quietly just disappeared from sight. I set the hook on a 2lb 14oz, 15.5" Smallie and had a lot of fun battling him all the way back to our side of the channel and up to the dock...my biggest fish of the weekend!

Sunday was a rain-out for most of the day, but I did slip out that night for a couple hours after our guests had left. I boated 8 more fish and managed a couple over two pounds with a 2lb 8oz LM being the best.

In addition to enjoying the weekend with our cabin guests, I had a neat opportunity to fish with a friend of mine who I haven't fished with in years, and up until this weekend, had never fished with him in my boat. He and his wife were up at the same lake staying at a mutual friend's cabin, so I picked him up twice in our boat and we had a great time fishing together. I was able to fish with him on Friday evening before our guests arrived and again on Monday morning before we had to head back to the real world. I out-fished him 2 to 1 in numbers of fish, but he caught the biggest fish each time, so that was cool! Here are a couple pictures of Bob, who is 25 years my senior, and his best fish from each outing.

2lb 8oz, 15.0" LM - June 7 @ 7:50 pm

2lb 6oz, 15.5" LM - June 10 @ 7:50 am

Just before we finished fishing on Monday morning, I got him to take a pack of Zoom Speed Worms and a pack of hooks from me, so he could try his luck with what I had been using (he was up there for 4 more days after we left). We hadn't even finished the 4+ hour drive home when his wife texted me that he had just caught a 4.0 Largemouth (using the hooks/worms I had given him) and he was THRILLED, but I bet I was just as excited as he was!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 06:49 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

More great photos! Bob looks to be having a great time as well. Those bladed swim jigs Bruce makes are fantastic. Best I've ever used as well. Nice smallie on the Spook! I almost always have a spook tied on when condition call for it and often when they don't. It really produces nice size fish!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.