Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-27-08, 11:41 PM   #51
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I forgot to update. I was able to follow Robbie's instructions and now can cast my baitcaster as hard as I can. When the lure hits the water, the reel stops. I don't have to use my thumb at all. Thanks again everyone (especially Robbie) for all the baitcaster advice. My next reel will definitely be another AG baitcaster.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 11:52 PM   #52
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

This is good news...........it's worked for a lot of people, glad it worked for you too.
Old 07-28-08, 01:57 PM   #53
ajanke
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Toray Line

Hello,
I purchased some of the new Japaneese Toray fishing line off the internet. I bought the flurocarbon and the mono. This stuff seems to work great. It works great on a baitcaster as well as the flurocarbon fishes well on a spinning reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybass View Post
Hi guys.... I'm wondering if you could offer any tips about line selection for baitcasting reels. I am new to baitcasting, and have been experiencing issues with backlash. I was wondering if I should try a new line that may help against this. I have put on Stren original (I believe it's a monofilament, but I'm not certain of that either). Is there something that may be more baitcasting friendly?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ajanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 01:47 PM   #54
Wishing2BFishing

I was reading some older posts on the tackletour forum the other day and was surprised to learn that many people "set" their Shimano centrifugal brakes with 2 pins out (brakes on) and 4 pins in (brakes off). Out of curiosity, I grabbed some of my reels from my boat and opened them up. Every reel except one had four pins out (brakes on) and 2 pins in (brakes off). So my question is, have I been "oversetting" my reels?

NOTE: I haven't thought too much about this topic since last year, however, now that fishing season is winding down for me, I am once again, tinkering with my rods and equipment.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 12:47 AM   #55
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
islandbass,

"I too was taught to make it symetrical, but someone at TT pretty much gave me a snotty, stuck up comment (implying I was ignorant) that setting the brakes symmetrically was unnecessary. Being one who likes things nice, neat and balanced, I still subscribe to having my centrifugal brakes balanced so that punk can kiss my heiny."

When you say "mak[ing] it symetrical", are you subscribing to the "every other one" setting or are you recommending that i set the brakes directly across from each other? Right now I am between setting two pins in (the off position) versus 3 of the brakes in (every other one). It is always interesting to hear how others handle the details.

Bigbassin, so do you recommend the "every other one" setting?

Wishing,

Yes. However, there are a number of symmetrical configurations. Perhaps one of the most common is 3 brakes on and 3 brakes off.

Using your imagination, you can see that the the 3 brakes on or off form either a "Y" or a triangle if they are symmetric.

Looking at the same picture, if you consider the top brake as north (it is in the on position in the pic), to symmetrically set 4 on and 2 off, one would set the brakes pointing NE, NW, SE, and SW on and North and South off.

Setting 2 brakes on and 4 brakes off would be the opposite setting.

So there you go. 3 commonly used symmetric settings.

Ahhh, resurrecting past posts.
Old 10-29-08, 04:49 PM   #56
Wishing2BFishing

islandbass, thank you so much for the detailed response. The picture/diagram was very helpful. I think I might try the three on and three off setting. As I mentioned, I generally use 4 on and 2 off but perhaps I can "step it up" and go to three on and three off (I tried 4 off and 2 on and that was a disaster).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:44 PM   #57
Lilmoosecountry

Well i always use mono. Many others have there choices. But mono is the most versatile. Braid is easily scene, florocarbon is harder to cast than mono. Mono is foggy. But it is less visible than braid. I see mono as a line that can do alittle of each of what florocarbon & Braid can do.
Old 10-30-08, 07:38 PM   #58
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

islandbass,

very nice illustration, thanks!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 07:09 AM   #59
johnathan
BassFishin.Com Member

personally ive always sidearmed the baitcaster, i cant overhand cast it without getting a backlash half the time, but the settings i personally think dont matter near as much as just practicing and getting the feel of the reel, remember just like some of the others said Your THUMB IS YOUR FRIEND
johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:11 PM   #60
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan View Post
personally ive always sidearmed the baitcaster, i cant overhand cast it without getting a backlash half the time, but the settings i personally think dont matter near as much as just practicing and getting the feel of the reel, remember just like some of the others said Your THUMB IS YOUR FRIEND
in the words of zook

'nuff said

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.