Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-04-08, 02:18 PM   #1
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line and teeth

Living here in Mn I'm constantly battling pike and muskie for my baits.Ive tried braid,mono and fluorocarbon lines and have lost hundreds of baits.I thought that braid was the way to go this season after losing multiple baits in a day on braid I switched fluoro for the rest of the season and I feel that I lost less baits than I did with braid.

Do you think this may be luck or is there more to it?Fly-fisherman don't use braid.

Sometimes my braid will get tangled in the hooks the hook actually penetrates thru the braid this doesn't happen to mono or fluoro.

Last edited by chubs; 12-04-08 at 05:00 PM.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 02:57 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Braided line is not indestructible.

I don´t deal a lot with teethy toothy critters like pike, what we´ve got down here is gar and not everywhere, whenever I go where there are gar I, regardless of the main line material, always tie a good heavy duty flouro or mono leader ----> problem solved.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 03:15 PM   #3
Bender

I think I lost the most baits to pike on mono. I can't really say which one worked better between braid and fluoro, it seemed random and depends on how the fish is hooked. As always, the more expensive the bait the more likely you are to lose it to a pike. Sometimes I think Lucky Craft is paying to stock to the lakes around here with them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 03:15 PM   #4
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Steel leaders are an option too.

Braid helps, but as Raul said, isn't fool-proof, or I should say teeth-proof.

I still fish with mono for toothy critters (unless I'm throwing a lucky craft, then braid), and catch some and loose some.

Guess that's why they call it fish'n and not catch'n?
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 03:44 PM   #5
chubs

I here ya they always seem to get the spendy ones.
Ive tried tie-able leader but it cuts down on catch ratio Id rater lose a few baits than not get hit!
Old 12-04-08, 04:41 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

some people think braid is invincible, but like the other guys have said, its not.

Braid seems to cut easier than mono or fluoro because of its diameter. 12lb mono will be be harded for sharp rocks or musky teeth to cut through than 20lb braid simply because the 20lb braid has a smaller diameter. But 50lb braid and 12lb mono will cut about the same, because they have very similar diameters.

BB
Old 12-04-08, 04:42 PM   #7
BigBassin144

One more thing, try using Nylon or Fluorocarbon leaders. They come in like 100lb or 120lb test are a lot less visible than steel leaders.

BB
Old 12-04-08, 05:07 PM   #8
chubs

BB- I'm not trying to catch pike or muskie.Im looking for something that will help cut down on the amount of bass lures that are lost to them.Im looking for what everyone thinks about what type of line do they think is best and why.
Old 12-04-08, 07:37 PM   #9
pig n jig

I don't know what the answer is.I lose hundreds of jigs per year plus countless tungstun weights to pickerel, pike, gar, and an occasional musky.

50 lb braid shears like its made of butter.

Thinner mono seems to bring them to the boat at times, but its not always foolproof either.I think its the stretch factor in the line that helps bring them to the boat to get your lure back.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:45 PM   #10
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
BB- I'm not trying to catch pike or muskie.Im looking for something that will help cut down on the amount of bass lures that are lost to them.Im looking for what everyone thinks about what type of line do they think is best and why.

Come fish with me chubs, lately that is a sure fire way to make certain that a pesky fish does not bit at or take your lure
Old 12-04-08, 08:18 PM   #11
chubs

Id rather come out there to CA than sit here on a bucket looking at a hole in the ice!

PNJ-Do you feel the braid actually gets hung up on the teeth instead of rolling off and going in between the teeth?
Old 12-04-08, 08:24 PM   #12
BigBassin144

I understand your not fishing for musky or pike, I'm just explaining why you may haves lost more on braid than fluoro. I wouldn't use braid unless it was 50lb or more, and then, I wouldn't use it because I think that's rediculous. So go with mono, it;s cheaper than fluoro and you'll lose about the same amount of lures. Some may say fluoro is more abrasion resistant, true, but a musky's teetch don't give a crap how abrasion resistant your line is, so line diameter is what you want.

BB
Old 12-04-08, 08:43 PM   #13
chubs

Ok, Gotcha thanks! made since to me that time.
Old 12-06-08, 06:33 PM   #14
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm a 100% mainline braid user on all 8 setup I fish with, and all but 2 use a mono leader. With bottom baits the leader's two main functions are the prevent the braid from being cut on rocks, wood, or bite offs by Pickerels. The 2nd and less important to me is the visibility issues. Only my spinnerbait, Jerkbait/topwater setups don't use a leader, but the braid is colored black with a magic marker. The color does bleed off, so you eventually have to recolor it during the day.
Old 12-07-08, 06:55 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

When I fish for blues on my flyrod I use a twist loop haywire that has a large loop. It also allows the bait to move better too.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.