Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-10, 08:57 PM   #51
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Ya'll guys have fun, yea even you BAMA j/k John. Those things are a lot of fun. Hopefully ya'll can a group picture of the BASSFISHIN.COM members. That would be cool.

I am jealous!!!

HAVE FUN.

I think they should be holdin a bassfishin.com sign. Have fun guys!
Old 02-20-10, 12:09 AM   #52
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Just got home. Man I'm tired!! Puppy's are glad to have the shoes off.

Had to make the 3hr drive back home to work tomorrow but I'm going back up on Sunday. The weigh-in got delayed a little due to traffic in B'ham...surprise surprise!!!
I had to leave about half way through it but they had KVD, Faircloth and several of the top ten weigh-in early. Very cool production of the event and the expo is CRAZY!!!!!! Bait monkey beat my arse for $200.

Pam Martin-Wells was the first women to lead a classic. She caught 5 spots in the first hour or so.
Old 02-20-10, 12:10 AM   #53
bamabassman

Dadgummit manley, now oyu got me all nervous and stuff, hahahaha!
Old 02-20-10, 01:10 AM   #54
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What about Ike coming in at the end. Weighing in that pig.
Old 02-20-10, 01:10 AM   #55
bassinbob

When Ike hoisted that 6lb'er I thought he would take the lead. Looks like things will be interesting tomorrow.
Old 02-20-10, 01:22 AM   #56
carolina-rig-01

KVD is obviously still the guy to beat but don't count out a few others. Ike, Faircloth, Kriet, and Takahiro are all dangerous and well within striking distance. The weather is supposed to keep warming up a little for them which means things will continue to change and who ever adapts the quickes and best will probably win.
Old 02-20-10, 02:04 AM   #57
MallenManson

I have to ignore this thread now, since I won't be seeing the classic till i get home. Bless you tivo!
Old 02-20-10, 08:03 AM   #58
nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
What about Ike coming in at the end. Weighing in that pig.
Yeah, Wish I could have saw it. But he was weighed after I left.

I'll see him Sunday as I'm not leaving during that weigh-in.
Old 02-20-10, 01:26 PM   #59
carolina-rig-01

BASSTrakk has Jeff Kriet in the lead now with Faircloth in second and KVD in third with about a pound seperating the top 3. Of course all weights are unofficial and there is a lot of time left.
Old 02-20-10, 08:02 PM   #60
nofearengineer

I was actually impressed with Ike today, especially how he was fairly controlled with that 6.5 lb'er. I probably would have been a nervous wreck.

I was also blown away by how poorly Boyd Duckett did. One fish....man....that's gotta suck.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that such good numbers were rung up, even in cold weather like that. Not just stating the obvious when I say, man, those guys really know how to catch bass.
Old 02-20-10, 09:00 PM   #61
carolina-rig-01

I noticed that too about Ike, a little out of character for him to not freak out but I prefer it over acting like he has never seen a bass before in his life.

I felt bad for Duckett yesterday, a blown motor on day 1 will sure start things out bad. I can't help but think that if that hadn't happened he would have done better both days. I think that only weighing one fish yesterday put him in a spot where he had to swing for the fence today and that hurt him. If the circumstances had been different for him yesterday and he weighed a descent bag then today he could have played it a little more conservative which with the lake in the condition it is right now would have probably worked out much better. But the motor blowing up on him yesterday left him no choice but to swing for the fence today, even though he knew it wasn't ideal conditions for risk taking.

I am not so much surprised with the big bags that came in, I mean I am impressed but these guys are the best in the world so it's not really a shock that they figured them out. I am not even surprised by the numbers of guys who blanked because given the conditions we knew that it was going to be a struggle for a lot of guys. But I am amazed at who blanked, I mean Denny Brauer blanking both days and Skeet Reese not weighing a fish toaday blows my mind.
Old 02-20-10, 09:51 PM   #62
nmanley

I'm going up to the launch site in the morning since the top three are all within sight of the highway bridge. Won't get there till 10:30 local so fish should be more active by then at least. Most were caught between 9 and 12. Sure wish I had a zoom lense for my camera.
Old 02-21-10, 04:47 PM   #63
WTL

Note to self; buy aftermarket trebles for lipless crankbaits....
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 06:09 PM   #64
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Note to self; buy aftermarket trebles for lipless crankbaits....
LOL.....I was wondering if anyone noticed that obvious commercial. Their stock probably just jumped 20%.
Old 02-21-10, 08:55 PM   #65
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
LOL.....I was wondering if anyone noticed that obvious commercial. Their stock probably just jumped 20%.
True but lipless crankbaits are known for losing fish. Not sure why they have this problem but all makes and models of lipless crankbaits are plagued with it to a degree and changing the hooks on them to Mustad Triple Grips has all but eliminated that problem for me. So commercial or not it does help. The pros do give some shameless plugs though that are just ridiculous.
Old 02-21-10, 09:59 PM   #66
WTL

Its sorta the same old thing - do I trust the word of every pro out there? Not exactly. But there are always bits and snippets of truth to what they say, even if they are making their sponsors happy. And so, when it comes to premium wide gap hooks, can I afford to switch over a couple high priority baits? And the answer is of course I can, either I will benefit because of it, or I will only be out a few dollars. Traps come with poor hooks anyway.

(I wouldn't think of changing out every crank in the box, there are normally 2 or three that I throw anyways)
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 10:58 PM   #67
nofearengineer

I thought it probably made sense. I have even heard of the problem with bass throwing lipless cranks, and they would definitely benefit from hooks with a shorter shank.

I was just very aware of the marketing MACHINE KVD is. He could probably put ketchup on a lure, catch a big one with it, and then everyone would run out and start buying ketchup by the gallon.

The man is very polished in his manner and fun to watch and listen to.
Old 02-21-10, 11:17 PM   #68
MallenManson

[QUOTE=nofearengineer;285887]I thought it probably made sense. I have even heard of the problem with bass throwing lipless cranks, and they would definitely benefit from hooks with a shorter shank.

I was just very aware of the marketing MACHINE KVD is. He could probably put ketchup on a lure, catch a big one with it, and then everyone would run out and start buying ketchup by the gallon.

The man is very polished in his manner and fun to watch and listen to.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I always enjoy watchin KVD, especially when he's fishin smallies.
Old 02-21-10, 11:43 PM   #69
Jrob78

I always enjoy watching KVD too. He seems very personable and down to earth. He is great on the show "Bass Pros" always very thorough, a great teacher.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:18 AM   #70
nmanley

Just got back from the big show. Got to Beezwax creek at 10:20 and watched KVD catch 2 fish in the next hour. One about 4lbs. He had the whole area past the bridge to himself as other competitors worked their areas on the ramp side of the hwy bridge. The guys that stayed in that creek pretty much caught (or had the chance to) better fish than the first two days. KVD worked the area like a SAIN. Consistent and methodical.
One thing for sure is he knew he had it won by the time they got to the weigh-in and it showed in how calm he was as they announced his weight. He is a true pro in his delivery and execution both on the water and with the microphone.

This was my first Classic to attend but pretty sure not my last.
Old 02-22-10, 01:49 AM   #71
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I thought it probably made sense. I have even heard of the problem with bass throwing lipless cranks, and they would definitely benefit from hooks with a shorter shank.

The man is very polished in his manner and fun to watch and listen to.
I agree, the man is a great salesman. He is a professional in every sense of the word. He is what companies want representing them and he is the level that all other anglers want to reach.
Old 02-22-10, 08:37 AM   #72
Captmikestarrett

So who won?
Edited KVD won...

Looking at the standings did Denny Brauer even fish??

Capt Mike

Last edited by Captmikestarrett; 02-22-10 at 08:57 AM.
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:08 AM   #73
MississippiBoy

We had a great time this weekend. I finally got to meet swimbaitkid, BubbaBruiser and his whole family, and put a face with their names. Of course we got to see Bama and Mrs. Bama again. It's been too long since we've seen them two. After we'd had enough window shopping, we made the trip to Bama's new house and spent the night there, then made the trek back home yesterday evening. We've got a few pictures, I'll post some this evening, probably.
I also got to meet Tim Horton, David Fritts, Rick Clunn, and Clay Dyer at the Expo. Got autographs from all of them, plus Bama and I got to talk with Mr. Clunn for a few minutes after the crowd thinned out some. It was a great experience, and I spent less than $20 on bait monkey food. Of course, I had an advantage....it doesn't matter how hard the bait monkey hits you, if there's no money in the wallet, he can't make some just appear out of nowhere.
The classic's in New Orleans next year, and my brother-in-law lives just outside of town. Looks like we'll be attending that one, too...
Old 02-22-10, 11:02 AM   #74
rodnreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I agree, the man is a great salesman. He is a professional in every sense of the word.
This is the only thing that bothers me about KVD. He is too professional for me sometimes. Sure he is great for all his sponsors and carries himself well, says all the right things, and most importantly wins. But sometimes when I watch him I see a disconnect emotionally. Maybe that's just the kind of guy he is, but it doesn't look like he is having fun and even sometimes doesn't look like he wants to be out on the water. I prefer seeing Ike "go Ike" and show all that emotion.

I still think KVD is the best angler in the world, there is no doubt about that. And there is also no doubt that he still wants to win, bad! I would just like to see more emotion from him on the water.
Old 02-22-10, 11:22 AM   #75
Jrob78

Quote:
Looking at the standings did Denny Brauer even fish??
He fished but finished dead last, got totally shut out both days.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.