Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 01-26-11, 12:21 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The monkey made me do it...

I swore I would never get stuck with my 2WD again....

I meant it.

Old 01-26-11, 12:42 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks Bryce. I feel alot better about the rod I bought today.

Nice looking truck
Old 01-26-11, 01:00 AM   #3
WaffleJaw

Sweet ride Bryce!.....

Promise me you'll put ''rod'' under Ram

Old 01-26-11, 02:50 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Way to go Bryce! Even swung by Wal-Mart to try and pick up some "People of Wal-Mart" in the new ride.
Old 01-26-11, 12:10 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looks good Bryce, although it doesn't match your 50th Anniversary Zillion. You should sell it me (the Zillion, not the truck).

BB
Old 01-26-11, 12:35 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Way to go Bryce! Even swung by Wal-Mart to try and pick up some "People of Wal-Mart" in the new ride.
Actually, I felt like a "people of Wal Mart" guy when I was there. Here's my story.

At the dealership, the guy pulls my truck around next to my Dakota, and I look it over really good, while it is still running. I take my stuff out of the Dak and put it in the new truck, shake hands, climb in, and take off to get a prescription at Wal-Mart.

I get there, lock the doors, and go in to shop.

I come back out, snap that picture to post here, unlock the doors, climb in, and put the key in the ignition.

It won't turn. I try and try...even the spare key....nada. I'm freaking out. I decide to see if it is the engine, or just the key. I use the remote start button, and everything works, except I still can't put it in gear or turn the wheel, as the key has to be turned to allow that. NADA!!!!

I monkey around with it a bit more, and somehow manage to trigger the panic button. The horn starts honking, and the headlights start flashing. I can not get it to stop. Now I actually am panicked. I tear through the insufficient owner's manual (the real one is on DVD...big help here), and finally find the section on the panic button. I must have mis-read something, because the horn and flashes just start going faster. People are driving past me, staring.....WTF?!?!

I finally get the panic shut off, and decide to call the dealer.

He comes over, I hand him the keys, he climbs in, and starts the truck right up. Both keys work too.

WTFH?!?!?!?!

I tell him, "look man, I'm not stupid, I know how to start a car." He thinks maybe it's a computer glitch or something.

Now that the truck is running, I follow him back to the dealership, where I pull into their service bay. Their technician starts the truck up with both keys too. After some Q&A, he decides to go re-program the keys, just in case there is a problem. He returns about 20 minutes later, starts the truck with both keys, and hands them back to me. I tell them I'll holler at them if it gives me any more trouble, and more hand shaking.

I get in the truck, put the key in.....NADA.

WTFWTFWTF?!?!?

Other key....same thing. I'm ready to lose my mind.

At this point, I pull the key out, and the salesman figures out what's going on.

I am putting the wrong key in the ignition. When I say "wrong key" I mean "the only key on the ring." Because the correct "key" is the little square piece of plastic at the end of the remote fob. Where the panic button is.

I don't know who was more embarrassed. Me for not knowing what the key was, or him for not telling me. Turns out, the regular key on the ring is only for the doors and the tailgate. Holy God, I felt like a moron.

Remote Start Key Fob:$250
New Dodge Ram: $33,000
Actually knowing how to use the key to start the Ram: Priceless

Old 01-26-11, 01:16 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I was wondering when you were going to spill the beans. Nice ride, funny story. But as someone famous for over-the-top research before taking the plunge it's nice to know you're human also. Finally missed a TINY but all so important DETAIL. My wife's jeep is the same, and it takes a little getting used to. I, however, still need a "traditional" key for mine. Glad you got to test the BIG HORN in the Walmart parking lot.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 01:22 PM   #8
MIbasser

Nice ride nofear!!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 01:26 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

That sounds like something that would happen here at the dealership. Most Mercedes from 1998 have a smart key fob, not a regular metal key. They do have an emergency key, like what you were trying to use, but it's stuck in the back of the fob, and this is actually what the keychain attaches to. I've lost track of how many times people have called or come in and said that they can't get into their car because the batteries in the fob died, or it got wet and quit working, or they dropped it and damaged the buttons or something. I try to keep a straight face when I ask them, "And when you tried the emergency key, what happened?"
Honestly, since you bought the truck from a dealer, he should've gone over that little detail. If you'd gotten it used from an individual, ok fine whatever, but a salesman at a dealership should do better than that.
Old 01-26-11, 01:52 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Daniel....the emergency key hidden in my fob will only get me into the cab. It will not start the engine. Thankfully, the "start the engine" part of the fob does not require power, only the "open the door" part of it does. Heck, my mother's car has a pushbutton to start her car...it can tell if you have the key in your purse or pocket. Crazy.
Old 01-26-11, 03:51 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Haha great story! I gotta go check pow and see iof I recognize anyone.....congrats on the new ride Bryce!
Old 01-26-11, 05:57 PM   #12
bcklash

Sweet ride Bryce
Old 01-26-11, 06:19 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Daniel....the emergency key hidden in my fob will only get me into the cab. It will not start the engine. Thankfully, the "start the engine" part of the fob does not require power, only the "open the door" part of it does. Heck, my mother's car has a pushbutton to start her car...it can tell if you have the key in your purse or pocket. Crazy.
Same with Mercedes. You've got to have the fob to crank the car, but the emergency key will get you into it in case the batteries die. You can take the batteries out and still start the car.
Old 01-26-11, 06:51 PM   #14
bamabassman

sorry bryce................i can't type anything from laughing so hard man................. that is a funy story fosho,fo sho.

nice ride pal. but i gots a question fer ya.

what kind of key do ya need to hook up the boat with? BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-11, 07:20 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
what kind of key do ya need to hook up the boat with? BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
LOL....yeah, I'm beginning to see a pattern with me not being able to get my vehicles started. However, this time it was not a kill switch.
Old 01-26-11, 10:51 PM   #16
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Those new Dodges are nice!
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:01 AM   #17
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am blaming the monkey on mine too. Maybe yours and mine are brothers, or distant cousins.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 07:59 AM   #18
walkeraviator

As a valet I have seen every type of wierd ignition known to man. The funniest is watching new valets get into cars where the ignition is not in the normal place. Porsche and Saab are famous for this.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 12:30 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
As a valet I have seen every type of wierd ignition known to man. The funniest is watching new valets get into cars where the ignition is not in the normal place. Porsche and Saab are famous for this.
I valeted in Dallas for awhile,and know what you mean...I wanna say some of the newer land rovers had the ignition in the center console as well...Took me forever to find it...That was years ago but Ill never forgot how some of those foreign cars were set up.
Old 01-31-11, 06:36 PM   #20
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bryce,
That is one of the funniest stories I have seen in a while! Very nice ride! The color looks correct...maroon!!! or at least that is what the color looks like in the picture.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 07:03 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Bryce,
That is one of the funniest stories I have seen in a while! Very nice ride! The color looks correct...maroon!!! or at least that is what the color looks like in the picture.
That is what Dodge calls "Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl."

Talk about long-winded. They seem to come a long way from simple names like "Plum Crazy," "Sublime," "Banana," and "Panther Pink".
Old 01-31-11, 07:30 PM   #22
keithdog

Thats a sweet looking truck Bryce. You'll have to let me check it out at the get together. Sometimes the monkey knows best!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.