Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-11, 09:53 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default NFE is a BAD influence -

There, that got your attnetion, didn't it?

Thanks Bryce, we fools must stick together. After talking to Bryce and anther fishing pal of mine, I decided to pull the trigger. Yep, changing over from Lowrance to Humminbird. I got a good deal on a 798cSI from Cabela's (posted about that, just after Thanksgiving) and I've been looking for a unit for the helm to complement it.

So I've been doing some searching, watching the CD and think this side scan, down scan stuff will be such a big help with my fishing. I'll be putting the 5" 798cSI up front, and I just got an 1197cSI for the helm. The big 10.4" screen will be a terrific addition and I can't wait to get these mounted and start playing with them. The big unit is preloaded with the Navionics bundle and has the down scan upgrade installed.

So thanks Bryce, for your imput and I'll probably be talking to you, I know I'm going to have questions. And we can compare our "BIG UNITS" at Wheeler. I'm now officially a Humminbirder............. Now I need to find a heavier RAM mount to hold this sucker.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 09:57 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Very nice, congrats on the new units!

By the way, I could have told you Bryce is a bad influence a while ago!

BB
Old 02-06-11, 10:20 AM   #3
bamabassman

alright boogieman! now...........what did ya do with the lowrance?
Old 02-06-11, 10:44 AM   #4
bassboogieman

TRASH CAN!

Nuttin'. I think I'm leaving the 102c sonar in the dash for high speed running, as the side scan doesn't work above about 6 MPH. The 'birds have 2D which I could use, but I'm thinking more of using full screen GPS while running around, I can zoom in and, well y'know - SEE what I lookin' at. The X-135 is going on the kayak. I don't know about the Lowrance 5200c GPS yet, it's a 5" GPS only unit, external antenna. I don't think I need a GPS on the kayak, but I haven't really made up my mind about that.
Old 02-06-11, 11:45 AM   #5
bamabassman

bring it to the event. i MIGHT take it..........if you are interested in getting rid of it i mean.
Old 02-06-11, 12:03 PM   #6
bcklash

Bassboogieman when you buy your new Dodge truck, Bryce can show you how to use the key to start it also.

Those H-birds do look sweet. Heck if me and Bama could learn how to use one we might catch more dinks.
Old 02-06-11, 12:09 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I AM NOT BUYING A NEW TRUCK! The line has been drawn!

I actually looked at a new RAM a couple months ago, but my '05 RAM only has 34,000 miles on it, not really much use other than towing, and I couldn't get my money out of it. I LOVE the new RAM, but not in my immediate future - you troublemaker putting that thought BACK in my head.
Old 02-06-11, 12:40 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I AM NOT BUYING A NEW TRUCK! The line has been drawn!

I actually looked at a new RAM a couple months ago, but my '05 RAM only has 34,000 miles on it, not really much use other than towing, and I couldn't get my money out of it. I LOVE the new RAM, but not in my immediate future - you troublemaker putting that thought BACK in my head.
My 07 Ram has 97,000 miles on it. There good trucks. 34,000 I'd keep it too.
Old 02-06-11, 12:41 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Bassboogieman when you buy your new Dodge truck, Bryce can show you how to use the key to start it also.
Oooohhhhhhh, now that's funny, right there.

Boogie, whatever RAM mount you get, make sure to get the "D" sized ball (2-1/4" instead of 2"). That little difference in diameter will mean a lot more grip (43% more!) and less chance you'll pull an Ike and bounce your HB into the lake.

On that note, the HB head unit will float if you drop it, but I'm not sure if it will with the RAM mount attached (I'm not brave enough to test it.) However, I am thinking of finding some buoyant material to attach to the RAM mount that will make it float, and thus the combination will float. If I can figure out something that is durable and doesn't get in the way, I will let you know. I really would hate to have to use SI to find a lost SI.
Old 02-06-11, 12:45 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
By the way, I could have told you Bryce is a bad influence a while ago!
That Sir, is the pot calling the kettle black! I challenge you to a duel at dawn. (We will throw Sorons at each other at twenty paces.)
Old 02-06-11, 01:00 PM   #11
bassboogieman

I'm thinking more along the lines of the RAM swing arm mount, rather than the ball mount. I had one on my previous boat and that mount is ROCK SOLID not to mention cheaper (CHEAPSKATE, that I am ), and is all alum construction, rather than plastic.

Old 02-06-11, 01:05 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Boogie, this is what I have.

RAM-D-111U

No plastic here.

LINK
Old 02-06-11, 01:14 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That Sir, is the pot calling the kettle black! I challenge you to a duel at dawn. (We will throw Sorons at each other at twenty paces.)
LMAO! Since I don't have a Soron, can I substitute something of equal weight? like a box full of bricks, or a basketball-sized block of lead?

BB
Old 02-06-11, 02:11 PM   #14
bassboogieman

RAM-D-111U

OK, thanks. I thought they were a co-polymer arm, that would explain the cost. I have a couple of the RAM ball mounts and they do make taking them off the boat a little quicker. I just went out & checked the small RAM I bought for the kayak and I think it IS alum. Looks like I didn't pay as close attention to detail as I should.
Old 02-07-11, 05:07 PM   #15
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
as the side scan doesn't work above about 6 MPH. The 'birds have 2D which I could use, but I'm thinking more of using full screen GPS while running around
Two things to note.
1) It will work over 6 mph. I've had mine working up to 15.

2) Split screen will allow you to use GPS and the 2D flasher or down scan (black/white or color) if you wish.
Old 02-07-11, 11:11 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Two things to note.
1) It will work over 6 mph. I've had mine working up to 15.

2) Split screen will allow you to use GPS and the 2D flasher or down scan (black/white or color) if you wish.
All true. I have had mine working at 35 mph, but only in glassy smooth water, and it's all over when I eventually hit ripples.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.