Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-18-12, 09:14 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Man what a weekend.

Britney and I had 2 tournaments this weekend. On Saturday the weather was less than ideal for fishing with your wife, but I can't say that I have ever been more proud of her. It started raining 15 minutes before take off and didn't let up until about 30 minutes before weigh-in, but she hung in there like a champ and not only did she not complain about the rain but she caught two of our 5 keepers. I was really surprised how much we struggled because the weather was ideal for my favorite kind of fishing which is shallow and covering a lot of water. Anyways we did manage a small limit and to my surprise everyone else struggled worse than we did and we ended up winning.

Sunday was not such a great day, but still a day that turned out better than I expected. I had mixed feelings about where to run to for Sundays tournament. I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be a good idea to go back to the area we fished on Saturday because although we won, we really had to work our butts off for every fish we caught and I had a feeling that our areas were pretty used up because we beat them to death several times throughout the day. However if we didn't do well in Sundays tournament how in the world could I justify running to another area after winning Saturday and seeing how bad everyone else struggled elsewhere? So against my better judgement we went right back to the areas we fished on Saturday and by 9:00 I knew it was a mistake. The fish just weren't in these areas like they were the day before and my plan B area was about 30 miles north of us. I did manage to put one descent keeping in the boat early but we were struggling pretty bad after that. Then about noon things got interesting. We came into an area that had a bunch of baitfish and I quickly caught two dinks in about 3 or 4 minutes. Then I caught a keeper. When I got him in the boat he had both crankbait hooks in his mouth and I was holding him around his back and was just about to reach for the needlenose pliers when he flopped and slipped out of my hand. The front treble hook stayed in his mouth but the back one popped out and ended up burried in my finger. So he was playing tug of war with me and winning pretty easily. I finally got him off of the front hook which isn't easy when your impaled with the rear hook and your wife is running around screaming LOL. I managed to get her to calm down enough to put the fish in the livewell and bring me a pair of side cutters so I could get the hook off of the bait. This is when I decided to give her a crash course in the braided line hook removal trick. I made her promise me that when it was time to yank, she would yank hard and not just tug on it, she promised so we proceeded to wrap the braid around the bend of the hook. We were getting pushed up towards some docks by the waves so I said OK hold on, only she heard me say OK and yanked before the hold on part came out of my mouth. I was no where near ready, I wasn't even pushing down on the eye of the hook. It goes without saying that it didn't work and it hurt like hell. Then she started crying and appolagizing. I told her it was ok and no real harm was done but she wasn't going to get a second chance today. I seen a wrapped boat fishing down the bank a ways so I figured one of the guys in the boat would probably know how to do it. I pulled up and asked if they knew how to do the trick and I swear to God the guy in the front of the boat said "yeah I know how but I am not very good at it". I laughed and said nice talking to ya and we made the run back to the truck. I had Britney call into town and get directions to the Urgent Care and ask how fast they could get me in and out. We explained we were in a tournament and needed to get back on the water quickly and the lady promised they would rush us through. Keeping their word they got us out in no time and in about an hour and a half we were back on the water (not bad considering it was an hour of drive time). We were able to get back on the water fast enough to salvage a 3rd place finish which I was pretty proud of. When we got home I made Britney sit down and watch 4 or 5 videos of the hook removal trick on youtube so she should be ready next time hahaha.

You know they must see a lot of this when they keep steralized side cutters on hand.
Old 09-18-12, 09:23 PM   #2
nofearengineer

That bass probably got first place in his tournament when he got back later that night, after hooking you and all.
Old 09-18-12, 09:23 PM   #3
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Congrats on the 1st and 3rd placings, from your story it sounds like it was an uphill battle the whole time. Any advice for anglers new to tournament fishing when things get tough and your planned areas are panning out? For example, what do you do differently right off the bat when a spot isn't producing? Do you switch up lures or just cut your losses and try to find a new area? When it's raining or post-rain do you hunker down on a spot or does the weather force you to troll areas? Seems like you had a good time, regardless of the weather and incident, with the wife and that's what is important day in and day out. Post pics if you have them!
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 09:27 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ouch! I've had 3 trebles past the barb over the years (it's usually the little fish that get you) first two times I was alone and the braid jerk trick worked flawlessly, the last time my wife (a Neuro-surgical ICU RN) was with me but even with her years of experience with procedures and nerves of steel I still couldn't bring myself to hand her that piece of braid and holler now! Good for you to stick with it and place.
Old 09-18-12, 09:40 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That bass probably got first place in his tournament when he got back later that night, after hooking you and all.
That conversation has actually came up more than you would probably guess LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass'n'cast View Post
Congrats on the 1st and 3rd placings, from your story it sounds like it was an uphill battle the whole time. Any advice for anglers new to tournament fishing when things get tough and your planned areas are panning out? For example, what do you do differently right off the bat when a spot isn't producing? Do you switch up lures or just cut your losses and try to find a new area? When it's raining or post-rain do you hunker down on a spot or does the weather force you to troll areas? Seems like you had a good time, regardless of the weather and incident, with the wife and that's what is important day in and day out. Post pics if you have them!
Thanks and although all of your questions are very good ones, they are really tough to give any cold hard answers to because there are so many variables. I can give you my thoughts though, for whatever that's worth.

When a spot isn't producing fish right away I just look at the situation. If the conditions suggest it's going to be a tough bite and I am certain I am around fish I will probably stick it out for a while and try different baits or different depths hoping to find out that maybe the fish just moved in or out, or maybe I just need a faster or slower presentation to fire them up. However if the conditions make me think the fish should be active I will likely move on to another area and hit this spot later in the day hoping that it's a timing deal and I will hit it right at some point.

I always try my hardest to not let the weather dictate when I move, I try to leave that up to the fish. However if the wind isn't right or maybe the sun pops out and the water is clear or something of that nature I will be left with pretty much no choice but to do something different. Now post front conditions are different because they can not only move fish around, but just shut down the bite all together. In post front conditions I believe that most of the fish will do one of two things, either move in tight to cover or move out and suspend over deeper water, so I try to find them in cover first and move out to look for suspended fish if that doesn't work. I hope this answers your questions, at least a little bit.
Old 09-18-12, 10:02 PM   #6
Bassin' Gal

Congrats to you and your wife! Thankfully, my hubby and I have not come across the being hooked situation. If we do, I hope it is me that gets hooked because I don't think I could do that jerk out move. Kuddos to her for trying.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 10:50 PM   #7
Jrob78

Man, you don't know how many times I've looked at that first picture over the last few days. I've seen plenty of people get hooked, it happens all the time but it's still quite a sight. Gives me the willies every time I see it. I can't imagine how bad it must hurt when that yank comes and the hook stays stuck.

Congratulations on 2 successful tournament days though, that's a big accomplishment for a lot of reasons, the hook fiasco being only one of them. God forbid that ever happens to you again, I'm sure Britney will be ready. I pray that you never have to perform the trick on her.
Old 09-19-12, 07:00 AM   #8
keithdog

Congrats to you and Britney on your 1st and 3rd place finishes. Thats awsome! Especially placing third after all you went through that day. As for the finger, man that sucks! That happened to me for the first time this year. Being I was alone in the boat, and the point was already almost to the other side of the finger, I pushed it on through and clipped it off. It's almost enough to make one consider going barbless! Seems there has been a lot of impalings this year.
Old 09-19-12, 12:12 PM   #9
bassboogieman

OUCH! Really, I didn't need to see that. Damn that hurts just looking at it, I can't imagine how much that hurt. And your poor wife - yanking when you didn't mean for her to yank? Man, that is ALL your fault, y'know? She shoud have yanked a second time so you remember to NEVER do that to her again. OK, really, I'm glad you got it out and went back to fishing - which brings up a question, a serious question, as I am capable of being serious occasionally.

I haven't fished tournaments for several years, but one rule I think about every tournament I ever participated in had concerned leaving the boat during tournament hours. Did you have to notify the TD you were leaving to seek medical treatment, therefore obtaining approval to "go ashore"/leaving the boat? Not that in your instance I would have given a rat's gonads about the tournament, the hook in my body would be MY primary concern. Just curious, not intended to imply ANYTHING else. That you returned to fishing and placed is remarkable and admirable, I think I would have gone home and had a martini, or more likely two.

P.S. The sterilized side cutters - man, that is so freakin' funny. Some of that stuff just never comes to mind, thank goodness those running an ER have the ability to prepare for any event.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 05:09 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Kory, really sorry about the hook in hand episode, but congrats to you and Britney for the 1st and 3rd place finishes in your tourneys. Well done! So far I have avoided getting hooks embedded in me, but I am a wimp and use my lip-grip scale to hold EVERY fish I catch on a treble hook bait and remove the bait using a "hook-out" tool with my other hand.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 05:35 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

I thought I'd gotten myself one night when I was putting my rods in the rod locker of the boat, getting ready to head out in the morning. Had a big DD-22 tied on one rod, put another one in on top of that one, and felt the point go in at the base of my thumb, on the outside of my hand. I froze for a second, then slowly reached in with my other hand, held the hook shank with it, and pulled my stuck hand away. It didn't go past the barb, but I know it was close, because it was in there pretty far.
I stopped and tried to think what I would've done if it HAD gone in past the barb. It was probably 10 o'clock at night, pitch black, no flashlight, I'm hung on a lure tied on a rod that's under at least 2-3 more rods, my wife and child are asleep in the house, there are no tools or scissors or knives within reach, and I don't have my cell phone on me. I guess my only option would be yelling for help and hoping whichever neighbor I woke up first would have pity on me....

But for everyone's education, here's the proper way to remove a hook from your hand; a generous application of whiskey helps greatly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg
Old 09-19-12, 06:28 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
OUCH! Really, I didn't need to see that. Damn that hurts just looking at it, I can't imagine how much that hurt. And your poor wife - yanking when you didn't mean for her to yank? Man, that is ALL your fault, y'know? She shoud have yanked a second time so you remember to NEVER do that to her again. OK, really, I'm glad you got it out and went back to fishing - which brings up a question, a serious question, as I am capable of being serious occasionally.

I haven't fished tournaments for several years, but one rule I think about every tournament I ever participated in had concerned leaving the boat during tournament hours. Did you have to notify the TD you were leaving to seek medical treatment, therefore obtaining approval to "go ashore"/leaving the boat? Not that in your instance I would have given a rat's gonads about the tournament, the hook in my body would be MY primary concern. Just curious, not intended to imply ANYTHING else. That you returned to fishing and placed is remarkable and admirable, I think I would have gone home and had a martini, or more likely two.

P.S. The sterilized side cutters - man, that is so freakin' funny. Some of that stuff just never comes to mind, thank goodness those running an ER have the ability to prepare for any event.
Being that it was just a club tournament there wasn't any problem with seeking medical attention and then returning to the water to finish out the day, and being that I am the tournament director didn't hurt LOL. Seriously as a tournament director I would give any of our competitors permission to go get the help they needed and then get back on the water, as long as they let someone else in the club know what was going on (which I did by calling another member on my way to the urgent care) so there is no drama at the weigh in if someone seen them leaving and then returning to the lake without knowing why. In most of the bigger tournaments I fish I am pretty sure that the same thing would be allowed but a phone call to the TD would certainly be a good idea to verify it.
Old 09-19-12, 09:51 PM   #13
lilmule

I land the fish take 10 in hemostats remove hooks then grab fish been there done that,not no more,the bill dance wrap line an jerk works its not painless
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 09:56 PM   #14
Bass'n'cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I land the fish take 10 in hemostats remove hooks then grab fish been there done that,not no more,the bill dance wrap line an jerk works its not painless
Man that was hard to read hahah! Are you saying hemostats are good at removing hooks as opposed to the fishing line yank?
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 10:27 PM   #15
lilmule

Good at removing hooks from fish so dont have to do the line yank as dont have them in you when placed aside when you grabem.Im hard to read at times think tad different remove sharp object with tool then handle with hand,if you use hand then have to possibly remove hook from hand or fingers.
Often a fish will jump just as you touch it and dont have a grasp of the situation,some fish species do not ever freeze,stripers,white bass,catfish.They will trash around no point in having treble hooks doing same,been there done that with a couple of spotted bass,not no more.
Call me chicken.I still do some pretty stupid things still,kneeled on deck came back with a treble stuck in knee,didnt feel a thing Titanium as left one replaced just a skin prick with no feeling there or Id a screamed.
Now if just can manage a few more parts id be bulletproof,they do however cost a tad the 6 million dollar man is no myth.
Hopefully we all learn from such and possibly not happen again.I know from experience you cant push a treble hook thru meaty part of hand.Since I started removing those hooks first havnt had any in me,with 10 in type of pliers far enough away,once you have a grip on hooks if it jumps you control where those hooks go or how far they go,once removed no problem handling fish.40 lb black drum can control it,after removed you and a tow truck remove fish.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-20-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 11:07 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Good at removing hooks from fish so dont have to do the line yank as dont have them in you when placed aside when you grabem.Im hard to read at times think tad different remove sharp object with tool then handle with hand,if you use hand then have to possibly remove hook from hand or fingers.
Often a fish will jump just as you touch it and dont have a grasp of the situation,some fish species do not ever freeze,stripers,white bass,catfish.They will trash around no point in having treble hooks doing same,been there done that with a couple of spotted bass,not no more.
Call me chicken.I still do some pretty stupid things still,kneeled on deck came back with a treble stuck in knee,didnt feel a thing Titanium as left one replaced just a skin prick with no feeling there or Id a screamed.
Now if just can manage a few more parts id be bulletproof,they do however cost a tad the 6 million dollar man is no myth.
Hopefully we all learn from such and possibly not happen again.I know from experience you cant push a treble hook thru meaty part of hand.Since I started removing those hooks first havnt had any in me,with 10 in type of pliers far enough away,once you have a grip on hooks if it jumps you control where those hooks go or how far they go,once removed no problem handling fish.40 lb black drum can control it,after removed you and a tow truck remove fish.
So how do you hold the fish still while you unhook it?
Old 09-21-12, 06:07 AM   #17
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

I think what he might be saying is that when he gets a fish to boatside he reaches down with the 10" hemostats, grabs the plug by one of the hooks then lifts it into the boat and then and only then while the fish is being held by the plier controlled plug does he actually touch the fish with his hand. ? Not real sure but he could also be saying he lifts the fish out of the water with the rod and while it's thrashing in mid air over the deck or flopping around on the deck he manages to grab one of the hooks with the hemostats and then he actually touches the fish? With all due respect to Mr Mule I'd like to be a fly on the wall watching him work those pliers, makes me think of Mr Meeoggi, the fly and the chopsticks. Except instead of chopsticks it's 10" hemostats and instead of a fly it's a greased piglet.
RustyFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 06:30 AM   #18
lilmule

Its generally in a net, non movable as possible,without touching ,occasionally deck flipped when old folks moment left the net at home,have several times lifted with them as you described was fun fishing didnt care if they flipped off while I had the hooks in grasp.And never held still other than by the hooks, in bottom of boat going nowhere,if they flip off who cares,its removal of hooks.They hemostats do lock like vise grips,ss and never rust.Your not controlling the fish as in as much the hooks.And yes just might be comical to someone else,just as watching me do tai chi on the front deck at sunup.
Cant help it gunshy or hookshy had them in me on several occasions.
You would be welcome as a fly on the wall anytime.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-21-12 at 06:37 AM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.