Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-13, 12:47 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Toman Caviar

Went fishing last weekend with my buddy Tony. He's got an upcoming PVA event on the river and the last time we pre-fished the event together he took first place, won a boat, and qualified for the Federation Championship. Not that I'm saying that he won it because of me but I like the connection .

So we get out on the water and he wants to fish one of the VA creeks to see what he can put together. We purposely time it so we have identical tides as he'll have for the event. We hit our first spot and skunk. Run to the next one and he catches a nice 16" bass. Not bad but we need more numbers and bigger fish. Head to another location and bingo!! he hits a nice fish on one of my custom Punishers.

We fish along the area but no more keepers. Not good. We pull into an area that typically holds good bass and numbers but we don't catch anything. Not good. I switch over to a Horny Toad and a snakehead blows up on the bait. It's in the 6-7lb range and is full of eggs (hence Toman Caviar). Toman, I learn later, is another name for snakehead. It goes in the livewell and will be dinner that evening. I continue with the topwater and catch my first and second bass of the year on topwater. Tony spies another toman and hooks up with a 5-6lb fish and more food for dinner!!!

We fish another area with limited success and really need to figure things out. We had passed a good sized grassbed in the creek and figured if the bass weren't shallow then maybe they've transitioned out to the main channel and are hanging around the grass beds. Off we go!!

We hit the grass bed and sure enough there are numbers of fish and quality too. We don't hook up on all the bites but we find what he's looking for to win a little $$$. We'll see if it holds up this weekend.

On the way home I stop with the two toman at a restuarant that I've eaten in before and work a deal with the owner. He fillets one fish and I give him the other. Works for me. No mess to clean up or skeletons in my compost to attract the critters. We get into a conversation about ways to cook the fish which gives me a couple ideas and he offers that if I bring him more fish he'll cook them for me next time. Bonus!!! General Tso's Toman is an actual way he cooks the fish. Sounds pretty good to me.....can't wait to catch a couple more!!!
Old 06-03-13, 02:55 PM   #2
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

General Toman? I like the sound of that.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 02:42 PM   #3
3dkicker

Hopefully I get a chance to catch a few this Sat. If I get one I'll let you know how it tastes. Oh by the way a 17lb 4oz new world record was caught. And an even bigger one was shot with bow and arrow. Big toman on the river!!!!
Old 06-04-13, 10:44 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good luck this coming weekend and be sure to let us know how those toman taste! Sounds like a good deal you worked out with the owner.
Old 06-04-13, 11:10 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Pending slime ball Northern Snakehead caught in Aquia Cr. Sat. 6/1/13

You gotta kill 'em quick, 'cause you can't hold on to 'em...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 07:15 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I wouldn't want all that nasty slime in my boat!
Old 06-05-13, 09:35 AM   #7
Captmikestarrett

They do not slime up till exposed to air. I normally cut the gills and place in livewell half full of water. No slime that way. Easier to clean too.

Capt Mike
Old 06-05-13, 03:49 PM   #8
3dkicker

I wonder who around here had a world record fish in his boat and didn't get it officially weighed or submitted an application???? Anybody??? Anyone???? Here's a hint. He runs a light tackle guide service on the Potomac........
Old 06-07-13, 02:24 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Yea it ate nice.. big fat filets. Was 18.2 on the e-scales and was 32 inches long. Fat as my arm at the tail.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.