Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-12, 01:41 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default For those over 21

Or the legal drinking age for your state - have you tried Apple Pie Moonshine? Well, I did about 6 weeks ago just before the Dale Hollow gig. One of the guys at the Potomac with us had a couple jars and I was lucky enough to get a taste. Good tasting stuff, smooth but sneaky in not so massive quantities.

Anyhow.

Been thinking about it, how much I enjoyed the little glass I had several weeks ago, so I looked it up on line and got a recipie and made a batch. Oh yes, it is soooooooo easy to make, the only thing that's difficult is finding the grain alcohol if it isn't legal in your state. That's right, a few states (like PA) forbid it's sale. Like, you can buy a gallons of Vodka or any other spirt, but God forbid you get your hands on a pint of grain....... How the minds of politicians work is beyond me.

Anyway, back to the Apple Pie. Brewing the batch was easy (not the moonshine part), sterilizing the jars was easy. So, the batch I made yielded just shy of 5 quarts. Where the problem begins is the 4 full quarts each snapped their lids and sealed, so they can go in the cellar to "mature", but that dang 5th jar wouldn't seal. It was about 2" below the lid, so I can't put it away with the other 4. Now, the obvious question: What was I supposed to do with jar #5?

Man, I hate complicated decisions, so it took all of about 5 seconds to decide to TASTE TEST IT. Oh boy, still fresh, into a glass a sample was poured. This stuff is supposed to get better with a little age on it, so first taste there was just a slight bite, a hint of the grain was there on my tongue. But not bad, so the rest of the jar went into the fridge.

Now today, I was out in the kayak fishing, got home just around lunch time, checked the fridge for something to eat - and what was there, right in front of me? APPLE PIE. Well, it got chilled overnight, so the obvious thing to do was? All together now - see how it tastes cold.

What do you think? I'll tell you - the jar is empty, I'm felling happy and I'm gonna go take a nap.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 01:53 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

I made it for a trip to the beach last year, and it was ok, not great. The only cider I could find was mulled or spiced cider, so I used it. I didn't think to reduce the amount of the other ingredients (can't remember what else there was....cinnamon, brown sugar, something else?) to allow for the spices that the cider already had. It had a real cinnamon bite to it, plus the fact that I made it pretty much the same day we started drinking it, so it didn't have any chance to rest.
But I will definitely try it again with regular cider.
Old 06-15-12, 03:07 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahahaaha..........................
Old 06-15-12, 06:20 PM   #4
bassinbob

That's funny that you posted about apple shine. My uncle, who was from West Virginia used to make it every winter. Around Christmas he would give us a little taste. Man was it good. Finally when I was over 21 he gave me the recipie. Well I lost it when i wanted to make a batch. By this time he passed. So I asked his son for the mix. Got it and lost it again. So I did post on here and a few other places about the recipie with no luck. Lo and behold I found the mix on another site. Made a batch last fall. Had the one jar that wouldn't seal. Drank that one right after I cooled it off in the fridge for a few hours. Just last saturday I took the last quart to work for a guy and we cracked it open. That was the best one.
I used unpasturized apple cider. The guy at the orchard I bought it at welcomed me to try his around this past Christmas. Since it was over a 100 miles from home I didn't make the trip. Now I can't wait to this fall to make it again.
Old 06-16-12, 10:14 AM   #5
Abbeysdad

I hope you woke up okay...no worse fer the wear~!
Old 06-16-12, 11:14 AM   #6
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i dont make it but ive got a buddy that makes it and ooooooh buddy is it good. he wont tell the recipe tho.. i just no it has everclear and apples and that he actually cooks it then chills it. its really good but pricey to make
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:19 PM   #7
lilmule

It can be made in several ways,apple juice or apples cooked or for real potent stuff made in a still about 70 proof from that one pass,two an you got apple brandy.
And yeah im from W.Va.,dont everybody got a still in their barn.
For those lacking the simple recipe
http://goodoleways.com/daves-apple-p...t-recipe-file/

Last edited by lilmule; 06-16-12 at 01:26 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 09:49 AM   #8
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
That's funny that you posted about apple shine. My uncle, who was from West Virginia used to make it every winter. Around Christmas he would give us a little taste. Man was it good. Finally when I was over 21 he gave me the recipie. Well I lost it when i wanted to make a batch. By this time he passed. So I asked his son for the mix. Got it and lost it again. So I did post on here and a few other places about the recipie with no luck. Lo and behold I found the mix on another site. Made a batch last fall. Had the one jar that wouldn't seal. Drank that one right after I cooled it off in the fridge for a few hours. Just last saturday I took the last quart to work for a guy and we cracked it open. That was the best one.
I used unpasturized apple cider. The guy at the orchard I bought it at welcomed me to try his around this past Christmas. Since it was over a 100 miles from home I didn't make the trip. Now I can't wait to this fall to make it again.

haha i got a few famouse uncs from WV, lol never apple pie, but i have other odd flavors

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.