Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-26-13, 04:39 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default CX or Fluoroclear on a baitcaster.

Got a spool of 12lb CX and 15lb Fluoroclear at Bass Pro. After breaking off twice and having half a spool on my baitcaster I respooled with the 12lb CX.

What would you have done? Just Curious.
Old 07-26-13, 06:48 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The 12lb CX was my go to line until I started fishing fluorocarbon again. It's a good all purpose line with relatively low memory and plenty of strength. I used it on multiple rods for years and have nothing bad to say about it.
Old 07-27-13, 06:55 AM   #3
keithdog

Was it the Floroclear that you had the breaks offs on? If so, I would seriously think on of two things. It's a spool that is either old or was stored improperly. I've been using Floroclear for years now since Reb suggested it to me and I can't remember ever having a single break off. I also wonder if maybe there is a sharp spur on one of your rod guides causing damage to your line. You can pull an old pair of ladies nylon stocking through your guide to find a bad spot not visible to your eye. I hear CX is strong, but not nearly as manageable of Floroclear. But since you have it, may as well try it out. Nearly all my reels are spooled with Floroclear.
Old 07-27-13, 12:43 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Was it the Floroclear that you had the breaks offs on? If so, I would seriously think on of two things. It's a spool that is either old or was stored improperly. I've been using Floroclear for years now since Reb suggested it to me and I can't remember ever having a single break off. I also wonder if maybe there is a sharp spur on one of your rod guides causing damage to your line. You can pull an old pair of ladies nylon stocking through your guide to find a bad spot not visible to your eye. I hear CX is strong, but not nearly as manageable of Floroclear. But since you have it, may as well try it out. Nearly all my reels are spooled with Floroclear.
It was actually YoZuri Hybrid that I was breaking off with. I could see little kinks and abrasions in my line, but didn't bother to retie. Thanks though, interested to see how both these lines before on a baitcaster... used fluoroclear on spinning gear, but never casting.
Old 08-18-13, 04:41 PM   #5
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

After breaking off several #12 fluoro lines and getting tired of the curls in the line I switched to #40 PowerPro Braid. Same diameter as #12 fluoro, no more curls, and I can cast a mile with my bait caster reels. The only problem I have encountered is I can't break off the line, I have to cut it
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 10:31 PM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keep a short piece of a broom handle in your tackle and if you get hung wrap the line around the handle and you can often straighten a hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.