Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-11, 08:14 PM   #1
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Carp infestation. Bass killer?

I have heard from various friends of mine that carp actually ruin a lake, and kill off other species of fish. I know that they are bottom feeders and trash fish, but do they eat bass eggs in the spawning season? and does introducing carp into a lake hurt the bass population?
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 08:43 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It depends on the species of carp. Most "intriduced" carp are sterile grass carp and as the name implies are vegetarian. They can eat all vegetation in a pond/lake therefore ruining nursery habitat for bass recruitment. I don't know much about just plain old run of the mill carp.
Old 12-07-11, 08:45 PM   #3
Marty

I don't know any details about how bass and carp interact, but there are certainly many good bass fisheries that have a large carp population.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:03 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
It depends on the species of carp. Most "intriduced" carp are sterile grass carp and as the name implies are vegetarian. They can eat all vegetation in a pond/lake therefore ruining nursery habitat for bass recruitment. I don't know much about just plain old run of the mill carp.
That's exactly the way I understand it. It's not the carp that eat the bass, it's the other fish that eat the little bass when there's no place for them to hide!
Old 12-07-11, 10:22 PM   #5
joedog

A lake I fish, about 15-20 years ago they had to drain it dry to kill off the carp. You should see the damage big carp make when they are spawning. They literally destroy all the vegation, leaving huge bare spots. If they are aloud to fester I'm told they lay more eggs than any other fresh water spieces. Talking millions each seasson. Thier like water rabbits!
Now on the other hand, carp fishing is growing in popularity here in the states. It's one of the few species of fish that the DNR actually allows you to leave on the bank as opposed to releasing them back. I'm not sure but I think all carp are an invasive species. Meaning none are native.
Old 12-07-11, 10:35 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
A lake I fish, about 15-20 years ago they had to drain it dry to kill off the carp. You should see the damage big carp make when they are spawning. They literally destroy all the vegation, leaving huge bare spots. If they are aloud to fester I'm told they lay more eggs than any other fresh water spieces. Talking millions each seasson. Thier like water rabbits!
Now on the other hand, carp fishing is growing in popularity here in the states. It's one of the few species of fish that the DNR actually allows you to leave on the bank as opposed to releasing them back. I'm not sure but I think all carp are an invasive species. Meaning none are native.
Seriously? Is that in your WI regs somewhere?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:42 PM   #7
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you all for the information on carp. I am going to fish for them tomorrow to see the exact species in my pond and then research what they tend to eat. Any ideas for carp bait or jigs? I think bread does good.
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:44 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigBass View Post
Thank you all for the information on carp. I am going to fish for them tomorrow to see the exact species in my pond and then research what they tend to eat. Any ideas for carp bait or jigs? I think bread does good.
We have always just used night crawlers, but I've heard corn is a good option also.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:52 PM   #9
lilmule

Carp contain many species and sub varieties,common goldfish and koy will syrvive and grow larger in the wild than in captivity.
Not native european and asian mostly coomon carp imported for a food source and considered and english game fish Sir Iziac Walton being a top contender on its side.
And most arnt vegetarians but somewhat limited due to mouth position they are bottom feeders just like a cat fish eat crustaceans readilyand of course some dead stuff not picky.
You can thank the dnr in many states for the grass carp imported to get rid of hydrilla,etc,nowdays they try to limit them by introducing sterile carp so wont reproduce.
You can see how well that is working.
Wheaties or shredded wheat rolled into a ball generally work and catch either catfish or carp.
The non vegetarian types destroy nests and the bottom in general due to their way of feeding,but are in fact a ball to catch .Growing up in wva wasnt much else other than cats or carp back then in the ohio river.
Some states have fertilizer plants that utilize them,cat food etc.
When one watches a goldfish or koy in a pond can see why they are or were so popular and just a smaller variety.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 12:25 AM   #10
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Carp are awesome, Fight good, clean unneeded vegetation too. Yes, if a pond is stocked wrongly and too many carp per acre are in there, they may wipe out the pond. However, thats the owners responsibility. His fault if this happens, not the carps. If youll notice, natural lakes (Amistad, Falcon, Fork) have HUGE populations of HUGE carp, but bass fishing is some of the best in the US. Carp have been here for so long that they have settled in to the habitat, and when they are wild(not stocked in a pond) they do absolutely no harm. So for the idiots that say the only good carp is a dead carp, do your damn research before you go mercifully killing carp.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 01:46 AM   #11
joedog

texas I may have to disagree,
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/mediakits/mk_carpcontrol.asp
It is the number one sport fish in Europe and yes I've fished them and have friends who fish carp exclusively. I have friends who bow and spear fish carp. I grew up on the Mississippi and I've seen a carp or two in my day. But they can definitly do damage.
Research enough, or need I do more? You may have meant unmercifully too. If you want Carp, your welcome to come to Wi., I'll show you carp, I'm talking BIG carp!

Last edited by joedog; 12-08-11 at 01:53 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 08:55 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Almost every BOW I fish has a population of Grass Carp, in every case they were introduced by either the property owners or DNR as weed control devices. Again I can't comment on carp that reproduce, but I know a lot about grass carp.
I have had permission to fish a particular 30 acre rural pond for about 13 years. Pond has 10 different owners...no HOA, no covenant, no regs, no zoning just 10 different families that all own property along the shore. They all have docks, four have boats. Lake is spring fed, very clear and for the first ten years was full of milfoil and lined with lilly pads, an absolute Bass factory. Anyway in 2008 one of the homeowners took it upon himself to put in 200 or 300 carp and spray the crap out of the veg. with SONAR and ROUNDUP, within 18 months there wasn't a blade of grass to be found. Result? for the next year or two my catch ratio went through the roof! Before the weeds were gone I could expect to catch 10-20 on any given morning trip with a couple of 4-5 lb kickers and double digit fish were more than just a slim possibility . In late 09 and early 10 a 6am to 12pm trip would normally produce 40-50-60+ fish including some heavy fish. What's the problem ? Well...the bass haven't had a successful spawn in 2 years and unless something happens they never will. The few resident anglers that heretofore couldn't catch many fish because they didn't have a clue how to effectively fish the milfoil are now easily loading their freezers using their old "Gomer Pyle" techniques...unless something changes this once healthy, pristine, thriving fishery will become just an empty pit. I understand that I don't own property on this lake and should just be thankful that I somehow gained favor with one of them, it just seems like a terrible waste brought on by one persons poorly thought out attempt to " get rid of some weeds".

**edit** most of the time grass carp (when stocked correctly) do absolutely no harm and just sorta keep weeds from completely overtaking a pond. But please...leave the chemicals to professionals.
**edit#2** this past summer I saw many HUGE carp actually pushing their heads out onto the bank to munch on yard grass not to mention the frenzied activity when someones lawn mower ejected clippings over the water....comical and tragic at once. Unless they figure out a way to eat dirt, in a year or two......

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 12-08-11 at 05:54 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 09:55 AM   #13
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
texas I may have to disagree,
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/mediakits/mk_carpcontrol.asp
It is the number one sport fish in Europe and yes I've fished them and have friends who fish carp exclusively. I have friends who bow and spear fish carp. I grew up on the Mississippi and I've seen a carp or two in my day. But they can definitly do damage.
Research enough, or need I do more? You may have meant unmercifully too. If you want Carp, your welcome to come to Wi., I'll show you carp, I'm talking BIG carp!
Joedog, you are going to want to re-read your research!!! That is for ASAIN carp. Just like bass there is multiple species of carp. I don't think they would like it if you went and started killing every "odd" looking fish in the pond
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 11:49 AM   #14
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Joedog, you are going to want to re-read your research!!! That is for ASAIN carp. Just like bass there is multiple species of carp. I don't think they would like it if you went and started killing every "odd" looking fish in the pond
I'm not going to start killing anything! If you expect me to research every type of carp that now live in the states............I'd rather spend my research time reading JOKES! Another pond I fish, the Rotary Morons released Coy into. I'm not going to spend alot of time on this but if you re-read the info I (believe other carp are addressed it's just Asian are a priority)
Anyway my only point was CARP can and WILL do damage to a fishery!

Lake Drained So That It May Thrive

November 02, 1989|By Rogers Worthington, Chicago Tribune.
DELAVAN, WIS. — It`s not shallow enough to reveal the bones of Juliet the elephant. But six weeks of massive pumping have dropped Lake Delavan`s level 10 feet in one of the broadest water-rehabilitation projects ever undertaken, environmental officials say.
With the water down to a level where it is cost-effective to apply a toxic substance, hundreds of thousands of carp and buffalo fish will be killed next week to restore ecological balance to the 2,072-acre Delavan Lake
Old 12-08-11, 12:34 PM   #15
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Carp are a complicated issue.

While I strongly frown on wanton waste, especially when I hear the term "trash fish" thrown around, carp populations can easily get out of hand. I have seen several lakes pretty much ruined by carp, or at least the terrible practices that led to their introduction.

I remember a particular trip where I was minding my own business, fishing from a dock. I was trying to catch bluegill, but was primarily catching small grass carp. A woman and her daughter joined me, carrying an entire loaf of bread. As I stood there fishing, they proceeded to toss every damned piece of that bread into the water, just to watch the ducks and fish eat it.

The next carp I caught, I threw on the bank. I did the same with the next five or six. The woman finally came over to me, with her daughter by the wrist, and demanded to know why I was killing those innocent little fish. I told her that she had killed them, by polluting the lake with duck poop to the point that biomass had to be removed. I don't think she even understood what I was talking about. She stormed off after I caught another, and pitched it on the bank right in front of her. I can only imagine she took the kid to McDonalds for some killed-out-of-sight chicken nuggets.
Old 12-08-11, 12:59 PM   #16
joedog

Mibasser, just a little more research.
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/dnrnews_artic...up.asp?id=1230

I repeat, I'm not out to kill anything! I just believe carp can and will cause damage to fisheries. On Delavan there were 100 carp per acre.I have no idea what kind of carp they were, even if they were goldfish or coy or a non-asian breed, it's still to many and thier prolification even affects thier own "quality" of life.
The real reason I even posted to start was to show Texas that sometimes it's bigger than a couple of people. And once started, it can quickly get out of control.

Last edited by joedog; 12-08-11 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 12:18 AM   #17
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I never said carp cant damage a fisherie. They darn well can, as well as ANY other over populated fish. An overpopulation of bass, perch, catfish, gar, will all cause some sort of problem in a managed man made lake or pond, if not managed well or population controlled management doesnt follow the recommended amount of fish per acre. However,in big name bass lakes, there are many big carp. Because its natural(for the most part) they get along well with bass, and no killing ( www.carpbusters.com ) is needed.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 08:03 AM   #18
joedog

texasbasser, once again I was probably out of line, my apologies! Just for information sake, all the bodies of water I mentioned are natural bodies of water with the exception of the pond. The pond is spring fed, started as a gravel pit. Delavan is highly monitored and the carp are back. This lake is surrounded by extreme wealth just like Lake Geneva. Bill Murray had property here. Delavan has one boat ramp and it's $13.50 per launch Natural or native (if there is such) can become a challenge. A friend from Lacrosse has a carp removal Company. The sadest part is extensive removal usually involves vegatation kill off too. Why, no idea.
texas you were also correct about carp being in bass waters. Maybe it's the vegatation thing. They both like the same thing, at least LMs.
Again texas I truely do regret if I have spoken(typed) out of line. I think it may have been the term idiot, which I greatly resemble. Then I thought you may of thought I was pro extermination. Hell, I won't even kill a tree hugger!

Oh and texas early Birthday wishes. Wow, everyone gets presents on your Birthday.

Good fishing to you and everyone!

Last edited by joedog; 12-10-11 at 08:09 AM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.