Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-06, 08:54 PM   #101
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yeah,
and whats worse is when your hand goes "to sleep" on ya
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 10:08 PM   #102
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

um kicker ive only got like 150 bucks left for this year. convincing my mom to let me buy a 50 dolalr rod would be hard enough... or so my conscience says
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:09 PM   #103
bass kicker

you could only buy a st croix ice fishing rod for 50 bucks
Old 02-24-06, 08:12 AM   #104
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use to use ugly stick lites's 1100, 5'6" MH for spinner baits and cranks. It's no good for worm fishing or jigs and such. Does good throwing bomber 6a's and 7a's. Tom is right, the lightening rod is a better rod. To me even the ugly stick wieghs a ton. But it is a good begginers rod for throwing cranks and spinner baits as long as they are no lighter than 1/4 oz. to say 3/4 oz. They also work for rattle traps. The length, weight of the rod and crappy reel seats are the main reasons I went to the St. croix premier for those baits.
Old 02-24-06, 11:17 AM   #105
bass kicker

i like my ugly sticks for spinning gear but when it comes to bait casting st> croix

i cant help it i love my new rod
Old 03-03-06, 03:35 PM   #106
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

well i went out to walmart and looked at the poles... and i decided to get the Berkley Bionix. It was the most expensive one they had at $50 and i was wondering if its good?? Thanks
fizzle fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 03:38 PM   #107
JB

You'll probably be just fine with that stick, what rating and length? like is it a medium heavy and 6foot 6? ..thats the standard in bassfishing, but many others work just as well...what reel ya going to put on that?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 03:57 PM   #108
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

its 7 foot medium action, the reel i got was for my birthday... my dad got it off ebay prob isnt very good but ive been happy with it, i got the 300 model of the one below

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ningbo-HH500...QQcmdZViewItem
fizzle fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 09:28 PM   #109
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle fro
its 7 foot medium action, the reel i got was for my birthday... my dad got it off ebay prob isnt very good but ive been happy with it, i got the 300 model of the one below

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ningbo-HH500...QQcmdZViewItem
GO catch a toad with it, and congrats on the new gear. Always fun buying stuff The 7' ill help with casting distance and line movement. Enjoy the new tool

Lizards
Old 03-03-06, 10:13 PM   #110
bass kicker

should of got a st croix
Old 03-04-06, 12:40 AM   #111
bassinbob

Everyone else posted so I'll add my 2 cents worth. My 3 old ugly stix from 30 or so years ago are in the corner of the garage with their Mitchel 300's. Every time i walk in there and see them they bring back memories. Back then they were the rod to have. Now it's like picking up a sledge hammer compared to a regular hammer. They never broke, they caught the fish and I still have them. Money well spent for the time. Someday one of my girlfriends grand children will be using them. Wonder if I'll say that about my St. Croix's, Airrus, and Kistler, and any other brand the monkey makes me get.

Bob
Old 08-09-09, 10:22 AM   #112
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

A question on the Ugly Stick: I was hung in a cattail next to shore my ugly stick 66MH made a POP noise. Its a new setup all equipment about 2 weeks old with 12 PLine. I understand it could have been the reel setting itself, but I am skeptical. I tend to think the PLine would break before my reel could make a noise like that, and my ugly was bent pretty good.

I did inspect the entire rod and see no cracks. I think if there was an internal crack, I believe the "skin" around the rod would mask it anyways. I have tested the rod out and cant find anything wrong it.

My questions: is there anyway to know that the rod broke or not? Has anyone else heard this loud pop on a new setup? Given the warranty's on Ugly's, do you think I should just get it swapped out?

Thanks
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 10:39 AM   #113
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Given the warranty's on Ugly's, do you think I should just get it swapped out?

Thanks
If you are concerned enough to post about it, you might do that - or try. Dont know if they will give you trouble if you cant demonstrate the problem.
Old 08-09-09, 10:53 AM   #114
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I did email shakespeare for their advice. Assuming the core is surrounded by some sort of strong material, i just fear the break wont show its ugly head until I get a big one on there. While stuck wading in the middle of a river with no backup. The ugly stick is pretty darn tough though and I figured some here would have similar experiences.
Old 08-09-09, 05:34 PM   #115
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd wager it was the reel seat. But if you're worried, just take it back.

BB
Old 08-13-09, 08:13 PM   #116
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The Ugly Stik is a good low-price rod. The original Ugly Stik, is not a sensitive rod AT ALL. The Ugly Stik Lite is sensitive though! Original Ugly Stik's are better for heavier lures. I would save $10 and get the Ugly Stik Lite.

Do you want a sensitive rod, or a strong rod?

Sensitive and sorta strong? Ugly Stik Lite.

Not sensitive, but very strong? Ugly Stik.
Old 08-14-09, 09:58 PM   #117
Cavs1123

i would rather go with a Berkley lightning rod or a Berkley Bionix Rod. But Ugly Stiks are good rods too.
Old 08-15-09, 08:42 AM   #118
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I put my baitcaster on the Ugly 66MH original. I have been casting heavy lures to help prevent the lashing since i new to baitcasting. I hope that wont last forever. I do notice the lack of sensitivity. Since my ugly made that popping noise, i have noticed no problems. Probably much ado over nothing, the reel settling itself in. I will head over to Dicks to check out the lite version. I am thinking the the original ugly medium and Berkleys maybe worth a look as well. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-15-09, 07:51 PM   #119
BigBassin144

Spend a bit more, and get a Shimano Clarus rod. You'll never want to go back to ugly sticks after fishing with a decent graphite rod.

BB
Old 08-16-09, 03:31 AM   #120
DonaldBreland

If you want a good rod for under '430.00 get yourself a Berkley cherrywood rod. They sell them at walmart and for the price they are the best walmart has.
Old 08-16-09, 09:30 AM   #121
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

i went to Dicks. I can return my Ugly Stick anytime within 90 days of purchase. I didnt find anything better there, so I held onto it since I was headed out onto the potomac for a few hours later in the day. I got a smallie dink on my first cast and then was shut out the rest of the day lol. I will checkout the other local sports outlets and look at the suggestions listed above. I know I can do better than an Ugly, but believe it or not, BPS did not have a 2pc in stock or me when I got my reel. So i got the Ugly to get through the day.

I do need a two piece, and wanting the trigger grip... looking at the Shimano Clarus i see the MF is the only candidate. The question, will the nicer MH rods give that sensitivity that seems lacking in my Ugly MH? I would hope so.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...NO-SHCLCR.html

Last edited by RandyHolt; 08-16-09 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 10:19 AM   #122
BigBassin144

Randy, there are two different rating on rods nowdays, Power and Action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle Warehouse's Fishing Rod Selection article
Action: This describes how much of the rod deflects (bends) when you put pressure on the tip. A fast action rod will bend in only the top third or less of the blank, a medium or moderate action will bend in the top half or so and a slow action will bend starting in the lower third of the rod. Sometimes slow action rods are termed 'parabolic', meaning the bend of the rod is similar throughout the length. This description is subject to the type of rod you may be talking about at the time; a fast action fly rod or steelhead rod will bend much lower and more easily than a fast action bass rod or offshore rod.

<<<<<< Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle Warehouse's Fishing Rod Selection article
Power: This describes the strength of the rod or it's lifting power. When someone says this rod has a lot of backbone, they mean it has a lot of power. Power ratings are usually describes as heavy, medium heavy, medium, etc. Power is closely related to the line strength; heavier power rods will handle heavy line weights and lighter powers will be good for light lines. It is fairly important to keep your line test within the limits printed on the rod since a heavy power rod will snap light lines too easily and heavy lines can snap a light rod. Power ratings vary by the type of rod described; a heavy bass rod and a heavy offshore rod will definitely not feel the same. One might be rated for 25lb line and the other for 80lb line.

Most bass fishing rods are Fast or Extra Fast action. The MF you listed above stands for Moderately Fast. I would definately go with a F or XF rod for any single hook baits (Jigs, soft plastics, etc) which it sounds like you're using. If you're using a crankbait or something similar, Then a M or MF action should be good.

As for power, for soft palstics, I like a MH. for jigs, MH or H are good. So if that's what you're fishing, you should be good to go with a Medium Heavy rod.

I personally believe that Neither power or action affect sensitivity. And even if they did, this rod is still going to be WAY more sensitive than any ugly stick.

BB

P.S. What exactly are you fishing with this rod? That will help decide what rod will work best.
Old 08-16-09, 10:55 AM   #123
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

great post BB144 - thanks. I am fishing for lake largemouths and river small and large. And hydrilla of late. I do vary my bait types and weights a lot so just want a go to do all rod, that of course can handle that rare hawg.

Most of the time I have used soft plastics but am getting away from them of late.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 08-16-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 01:52 PM   #124
BigBassin144

Then I'd go with a 6'6" or 7' (both will work great, in this case, length is just a preference) with a MH power and Fast or Extra Fast action.

This will cover most baits you'd throw into weeds and such (jigs, plastics, bigger spinnerbaits, etc.)

These two Clarus rods would work great: CSC-X66MHA and CSC-70MHA

BB
Old 08-16-09, 02:24 PM   #125
Jim80

Randy you could look at the quantum tournament series rods that they sell at walmart as well they go around $40 and are hard to beat either those or a lighting rod would do ya fine . And i also have a cherrywood rod that has caught hundrweds of fish over the last couple years .

jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.