Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-09, 04:15 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Really!?

Wow, really? I just got done reading an article about the U.S. engaging in a new relationship with Cuba, is that a good idea? And, what the He!! are we thinking giving Pakistan $5 billion. I'm pretty sure that money would help out a lot of people in our own country right now. The media is killin' me, I can't watch it anymore it's like a war is brewing in our country..I hate to say it but that's how I feel. I got done workin out this morning at 6am and the guy next to me in the locker room was going on about how well Obama represented the U.S. (this guy is a disabled vet) however he's collecting money from the government supposedly from A.D.D and PTSD (he was never even active) but he can get up everyday and work out and then go to his grappling classes, make renovations on his home and tinker on his new motorcycle. Sorry, just needed to vent...
Old 04-17-09, 05:07 PM   #2
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Wow, really? I just got done reading an article about the U.S. engaging in a new relationship with Cuba, is that a good idea? And, what the He!! are we thinking giving Pakistan $5 billion. I'm pretty sure that money would help out a lot of people in our own country right now. The media is killin' me, I can't watch it anymore it's like a war is brewing in our country..I hate to say it but that's how I feel. I got done workin out this morning at 6am and the guy next to me in the locker room was going on about how well Obama represented the U.S. (this guy is a disabled vet) however he's collecting money from the government supposedly from A.D.D and PTSD (he was never even active) but he can get up everyday and work out and then go to his grappling classes, make renovations on his home and tinker on his new motorcycle. Sorry, just needed to vent...
Then, this should absolutly make your day!!!

I really don't care how everyone voted, but if you haven't been following what has been happening lately, check out this link to the Federal Register. It sure as hell isn't something that's going to make many of us smile with the problems everyone is dealing with in our country these days.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS.... IT WAS SENT TO ME AND I WONDERED IF THIS COULD BE POSSIBLE? SO I LOOKED IT UP IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER AND SURE ENOUGH THERE IT WAS.

BELOW IS A LINK TO THE FEDERAL REGISTER WHERE IT WAS

ENTERED:

www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2009-02-04-E9-2488

President Barack Obama has signed an executive order of presidential determination allowing hundreds of thousands of Palestinians to settle in the United States at American taxpayers' expense. Sure, what can go wrong when we allow hundreds of thousands of people who have been, as Mark Steyn memorably described, "marinated" in a "sick death cult," who voted for Hamas, and 55% of whom support suicide bombing/murders in the United States .

By executive order, President Barack Obama has ordered the expenditure of $20.3 million in migration assistance to the Palestinians. Egypt won't take them. Jordan won't take them. Syria won't take them. Saudi Arabia won't take them. All of the Arab countries - every one of them - has allowed the Palestinians to fester for over 60 years. Meanwhile, generation after generation have become more and more radicalized. Their lives are unproductive - they "live" to die as martyrs - yearning for the rewards of the world beyond.

The "presidential determination" will allow hundreds of thousands of Palestinians with ties to Hamas to resettle in the United States . The determination was signed on January 27 and appeared in the Federal Register on February 4.
President Obama's decision, according to the Register, was necessitated by "the urgent refugee and migration needs" of the "victims."

Few on Capitol Hill took note that the order provides a free ticket replete with housing and food allowances to individuals who have displayed their overwhelming support of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) in the parliamentary election of January 2006.

Let's review some of Barack Obama's most recent actions since he was inaugurated a little more than two months ago:

* His first call to any head of state as president was to Mahmoud Abbas, leader of Fatah party in the Palestinian territory.

* His first one-on-one interview with any news organization was with Al Arabia television.

* He ordered Guantanamo Bay closed and all military trials of detainees halted..

* He ordered all overseas CIA interrogation centers closed.

* He withdrew all charges against the masterminds behind the USS Cole and 9/11 .

* Today we learn that he is allowing hundreds of thousands of Palestinian refuges

to move to and live in the US at American taxpayer expense.

Anyone else seeing a pattern here?

Old 04-17-09, 10:17 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Orygun,

I am not defending the actions of anyone on here, but I can not see where it states that borders are being opened. It does state that 20.6 million can be spent to support refugees of the Gaza Stirp, but does not mention anything about immigration.
The act was signed on 27 January of 2009, so it is not quite something we learned about today.
I am by no means supporting the decision to send any money to palenstine, but the migration and refugee act has been around since 1962. Money has been sent to countries in the middle east for a long time. I don't see this incident any different than the earlier ones.
Old 04-17-09, 10:38 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cuba has bass fishing and good tobacco,. Its time we ended the embargo.

Seriously, what has it accomplished? Big fat nothing. We can still allow people the freedom to travel where they wish and buy what they want, while still condemning the wrongs of the Cuban government.
Old 04-18-09, 08:24 AM   #5
Bo Dale James Jr.

I don't know WTL...seems like he is breaking bread with a lot of communist regimes.
Oh, it's just Cuba...start small, see they don't have it so bad, although they haven't had any new cars since 1959.
I just think it is a way to lull us into complacency.

I see it as a crack in the armor...We need to stay away from brutal communist regimes!!!
remember people were floating away from cuba in lawn chairs to get away from the government!!!
Old 04-18-09, 09:32 AM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm with Wtl on cuba. I think that especially with Fidel steppin down, they might be headed for kinder, gentler communism. Give em a chance to join us in the 21st century. They're our closest neighbors, we should be on better terms.
Old 04-18-09, 03:35 PM   #7
keithdog

Ok, here is how I look at it, and trust me, I'm a pretty conservative right winger. But when it comes to Cuba, I think the US has missed the boat for a long time. But establishing relations with Cuba right now may be perfect timing. Fidel will soon be gone. His brother isn't much younger. And the Cuban people I believe yern for better relations with the US. They have everything to gain and nothing to loose. On top of all that, Cuba has enormous influence on the rest of the nations south of the boarder, especially Venuzuala who we all know is run by a total tool. If the US establishes relations with Cuba, the outcome I believe will be possitive all the way around. Our influence could easily cause total change in how business is run in Cuba. With US dollars flowing into Cuba from purchases and travel by US citizens, the Cuban people will know first hand how important we can be to them. A very possitive influence. Ya know the old saying lead by example. Well, that is what we will be able to do. Plus, once Castro is gone, and US dollars are causing possitive change for Cubans, it will be no time at all before many Cubans who love this country, but miss their families and homeland will start to return to Cuba, taking with them what they have learned in America. Cuba would become very pro American and a strong alie to the US. Imagine what reprocussions that would have to central and south America. Especially our old buddy Chavez who happens to control a great deal of oil. I believe America right now stands at the door to a new opportunity that can change the entire eastern hemisphere for the possitive.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 12:16 AM   #8
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
they might be headed for kinder, gentler communism.
We might be headed for the same.

We do need to lead by example, and withdrawing ourselves from even recognizing Cuba is a childish thing to do. I would never say condone statism, but the answer to state control (Cuba) is not state control on our part (US Embargo). The answer is free competition.
Old 04-19-09, 09:05 AM   #9
Bo Dale James Jr.

Human rights in Cuba are a subject of much debate. In practise, repression is "is written into Cuban law" according to Human Rights Watch.[1]

International human rights organizations accuse the Cuban regime of systematic human rights abuses, including torture, arbitrary imprisonment, unfair trials, and extrajudicial executions (a.k.a. "El Paredón").[1][2][3]

Cuban law harshly limits freedom of expression, association, assembly, movement, and the press. There is no due process; the judicial system is constitutionally subordinate to the government. The government maintains tight control on religious institutions, affiliated groups, and individual believers[1].

Censorship is extensive; Cuba ranks on the bottom of the 2008 Press Freedom Index.[4] Cubans with official permission to access Internet face Internet surveillance. Cubans face five-year prison sentences for connecting to Internet illegally.[5]

Most emigration is illegal; M. Hollis Kobayashi, a graduate student in the international studies Master's degree program at Central Connecticut State University, cites Corbett, who says that even discussing emigration carries a six-month prison sentence
Old 04-19-09, 09:36 AM   #10
keithdog

Your absolutly correct Bo. Thats why I feel greater involvment with Cuba and more interraction between our two countries could have a possitive change for the Cuban people. One just has to remember back to what happened with our involvment in dealing with Soviet Russia and Berlin.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.