Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-23-09, 11:59 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Solo launch - ouch

So I launch the boat solo yesterday. They've lowered the lake nearly a foot from where it was just a couple of weeks ago. I backed in so the top of the fenders were just underwater (usually gets the rear of the boat to float).
I crawled through the back and walked the tightrope on the trailer to stay dry. But when I unhooked from the bow eye, she wouldn't budge, so I tried to push her off....when my feet slipped and down I went, smacking my right shin on the trailer frame pretty good on my way to the water. I ended up having to back in another foot. I did have a change of socks/shoes with me.

The fishing stunk. I found fish...at least the fish finder thought they were fish...but nothing I threw produced any bite. I wasn't alone though as this was the consensus later back at the launch.
I tried several spots and did some trolling - more importantly I did some exploring on the lake. I went to the southern end and up the river some. Seemed to be lots of fish there.

Boat running GREAT - I'm loving it out on the water! ... even with no fish, a nice day on the water.

Shin feels like I got hit with a baseball bat today!
Old 10-23-09, 01:52 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Solo launching - have you tried (it works well with a bass or alum boat anyway) tying a 30' piece of rope to the bow eye before you back in. Unhook the winch strap and safety chain/strap, and tie other end to trailer. The front bow stop mount is a good place. Coil rope in back of tow vehicle and back up. As boat begins to float hit brakes. Boat will slide off tailer. Pull up a bit so you're feet stay dry. Untie rope from trailer, pull boat to dock or bank. I have a 4WD tow vehicle and when the water is low, I've put all 4 wheels in the water - just be certain NOT to drive OFF the concrete portion of the ramp. That presents an entirely different problem. LOL.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 03:01 PM   #3
3dkicker

You'll get better at it with experience. I launch mine solo often and have it down so that I don't need a rope. Just watch the wind direction. I make sure it's blowing the boat into the dock. I drop it in, angled to the dock, and it slides off the trailer. Hop out of the car and tie it off at the end of the dock or on the opposite side so it's out of the way. Park the car and away I go.

If there isn't a dock I go with 50' piece of rope but it gets a little tricky. That takes a little more time making sure the rope is correct and doesn't tangle on the trailer.
Old 10-23-09, 03:24 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Solo launching - have you tried (it works well with a bass or alum boat anyway) tying a 30' piece of rope to the bow eye before you back in. Unhook the winch strap and safety chain/strap, and tie other end to trailer. The front bow stop mount is a good place. Coil rope in back of tow vehicle and back up. As boat begins to float hit brakes. Boat will slide off tailer. Pull up a bit so you're feet stay dry. Untie rope from trailer, pull boat to dock or bank. I have a 4WD tow vehicle and when the water is low, I've put all 4 wheels in the water - just be certain NOT to drive OFF the concrete portion of the ramp. That presents an entirely different problem. LOL.
I saw a fella do this at a beach launch, except he was a bit heavy footed and the boat went flying into the water with a heck of a tug when the rope tightened. With a fiberglass boat on a bunk trailer and a steep ramp, I'd be uneasy about unhooking the strap and safety from the bow eye "before it's time". Maybe if I stopped when the boat was like half in, got the ropes and loosely tied off to the dock, then unhooked the bow, backed up the last 2-3 feet or so, then hit the brakes...it would safely accomplish what you describe.
Old 10-23-09, 03:54 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You'll get better at it with experience. I launch mine solo often and have it down so that I don't need a rope. Just watch the wind direction. I make sure it's blowing the boat into the dock. I drop it in, angled to the dock, and it slides off the trailer. Hop out of the car and tie it off at the end of the dock or on the opposite side so it's out of the way. Park the car and away I go.

If there isn't a dock I go with 50' piece of rope but it gets a little tricky. That takes a little more time making sure the rope is correct and doesn't tangle on the trailer.
I think I'd wanna tie off rather than plan on the wind blowing the boat to the dock....with my luck the wind would shift and my unmanned craft would put out to sea alone! As I approach a stranger at the launch..."hey mister, could you go catch my boat fer me?"
Old 10-23-09, 03:59 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bummer man! At least you got to do some 'sploring! And I know how you're felling with the shin thing. I got pushed into a lunch table and fu**ked up my shin pretty bad.... herts like biznich on the cramped bus ride home.
Old 10-23-09, 04:03 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
bummer man! At least you got to do some 'sploring! And I know how you're felling with the shin thing. I got pushed into a lunch table and fu**ked up my shin pretty bad.... herts like biznich on the cramped bus ride home.
Hey kid - trouble is there ain't 'nuff meat on the shin bone to cushion the blow...anywhere's else and I'da just bounced

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-23-09 at 04:16 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 06:03 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Hey kid - trouble is there ain't 'nuff meat on the shin bone to cushion the blow...anywhere's else and I'da just bounced
lol! Me to hahahaha!
Old 10-23-09, 07:17 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

On my double tin jet boat I just coil the short rope on the deck and drag the boat onto the ramp.

On my glass Mako it is a delicate dance of tieing the rope to my roof rack and gently sliding the boat of the bunks.

If you have carpeted bunks you can unhook the boat unless it has been raining on the way to the dock. When the back of the boat is starting to float a wee bit you get out and unhook in the rain.

Capt Mike
Old 10-24-09, 12:04 AM   #10
Bender

I launch solo 99% of the time. What works best for me is to unhook everything except the front winch strap which I loosen 7 turns of the crank handle. Back in SLOWLY until the boat floats and you see it "drop". Hop in the back of the truck and drop the tailgate, step on the tongue, loosen the crank another turn, unhook the eye (boat is still on the bunks gently) and hop in the boat. Drive it backward and dock it then go park. If the ramp is shallow then after unhooking the strap you may have to give the boat a light shove so that you don't prop wash the ramp backing off.

It sounds complicated but has never failed me and I have yet to fall in. Plus you don't have to worry about the boat floating away. Sorry about the shin!

P.S. Fishing sucked up here today too.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 09:48 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Well the real error of my ways I realize now is not backing in far enough - as I mentioned, in all the previous launches, all I needed to do is watch the tops of the fenders. As soon as they were underwater, she would come right off. But by lowering the lake, at this launch, even though the fenders were under, the water level back further wasn't quite as high as it had been. From now on, I'll watch for the rear of the boat to float.
I'm thinking next time I'll back down the ramp so the bow is about at the shore line. I'll get out and disconnect the strap and safety, take the ropes (20 footers) up on the dock and loosely tie her off (so she can't get to far). Then I'll back the rest of the way and as soon as the rear appears to float, I'll stop. I think she'll just slide off nicely. I'll reposition her as needed and tighten up the ropes and then go park. I might try the drive off at some point.
Like most can relate, it takes some experimentation to find the method that seems best.

(leg still really hurts )
Old 10-24-09, 08:30 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I launch solo 99% of the time. What works best for me is to unhook everything except the front winch strap which I loosen 7 turns of the crank handle. Back in SLOWLY until the boat floats and you see it "drop". Hop in the back of the truck and drop the tailgate, step on the tongue, loosen the crank another turn, unhook the eye (boat is still on the bunks gently) and hop in the boat. Drive it backward and dock it then go park. If the ramp is shallow then after unhooking the strap you may have to give the boat a light shove so that you don't prop wash the ramp backing off.
Well, I'll be....dangit, I didn't think about the tailgate thing. I scraped my shin twice this year climbing into/out of the boat at the ramp. Thanks for that tip, Bender. No more wet feet, either.
Old 10-25-09, 10:38 AM   #13
BASSINPHOENIX
BassFishin.Com Member

i fish solo most of the time and i also lower the tailgate of my pick up truck,before i unhook the front i start the engine first then let it idle and then walk up front and unhook the front winch.
BASSINPHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 11:35 AM   #14
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I think I'd wanna tie off rather than plan on the wind blowing the boat to the dock....with my luck the wind would shift and my unmanned craft would put out to sea alone! As I approach a stranger at the launch..."hey mister, could you go catch my boat fer me?"
just in case that happens..hahah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GDJdAyAYs
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 08:10 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS300n8 View Post
just in case that happens..hahah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GDJdAyAYs
Maybe 'cept my gear would be in the boat! lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.