Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-11-05, 03:17 PM   #26
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
sam,we don't have to agree on politics!!!!
Dodge, how well do you float without a vest!

Quote:
no matter how twisted the idea if it works then it aint crazy..
.... and Gary Y is counting his money all the way to the bank!

I use a candle flame to attach even the tiniest of parts to the body, such as the shad paddle to a Fin S Fin. I use the soldering iron to smooth the seam where the parts meet to strengthen the fused area on the surface. Very important! The two on the left have phenomenal action!

Sat. I realized I was low on 2" Slider Grubs and made a dozen for Sun. using a small crappie grub, body and the tail from a 1" Sassy Shad (of which I have a thousand lying around). Gander is a half hour away and my truck get 14 mpg, plus our county tax is 8.25%. On Sun. I caught over 40 eating-size yellow perch, a few bass and 4 picks on them. I'd say the effort was worth my time and money saved since it only took less than 20 minutes to make a dozen.

I was also running low on soft sticks in a frost color and whipped out 6 in 8 minutes. They caught 3 keeper lm. I didn't have any Zoom 3.5" dark chunk baits and whipped out 6 in 8 minutes. Used as trailers to the jigs I tied Sat. pm, I caught most of my larger bass on them.(6 lm)

You'd be amazed at how easy and satisfying it is to make some of you own baits, and with the high price of gas, tax or shipping, much cheaper and conventient. Unique colors are also possible and usually not found anyplace. And as Zooker said, "if it works then it aint crazy!"

Here are a few jigs I tied and added a Sweet Beaver k/o by Black Magic Plastics:

Here's an example of a wild color scheme (fire tiger) that worked in spring:

Last edited by senkosam; 10-11-05 at 03:25 PM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 03:56 PM   #27
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks to these guys not only do I reuse plastics to the point of them falling apart. I have fused lizards into snakes, worms into very long lizards, and my tubes have become a little of everything. The term creature bait is the best description of half my plastics. I even redesign my storm shads now w/ tails and actions. If I go through 20-30 lizards and worms in a trip, Ill usually be able to salvage 85-90% of those for future trips. Lets talk immediate savings.
Old 10-13-05, 04:35 PM   #28
flachristopherkeene9

Fooling around with my stuff the other night and I stuck a pumpkin seed color worm up a green tube. Anybody tried this before??? Wanna get out and fish with it this weekend.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-05, 10:46 AM   #29
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkeene9
Fooling around with my stuff the other night and I stuck a pumpkin seed color worm up a green tube. Anybody tried this before???
Chris
I started doing that a few years ago, using the tube like a solid grub.
I liked the appearance of a dark purple bloodline in chartreuse tubes and the bulky appearence that worm inserts gives tubes.

The other thing I do is cut off the front 1/3 of a tube and push it over the front end of a grub to give it a chunky body. Works great for many species, including bass. Works best with 2 - 3" size grubs.

Here's an example:
Old 10-14-05, 07:12 PM   #30
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Senko I want to try your tackle so badly. I have made some really cool baits. One was a crappie tube and I added a grub tail. Another was a salt shaker worm and I added a paddle tail
Old 10-16-05, 07:44 PM   #31
flachristopherkeene9

Tried my Idea today it floated but really couldn't see the action. No catches but really didn't give it a try.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:28 PM   #32
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Hey Senko sam can you post some pictures of your creations?
Old 11-20-22, 04:13 PM   #33
senkosam

I'd forgotten the friends I made on different forums. Glad to reconnect and again really appreciate your recognition of the value of lure modification. It's a never-ending journey to discover shapes and actions that provoke fish to strike and so satisfying when they catch fish - especially the larger fish of a species. Just goes to show ya: fish don't learn as they get older; they have incredible senses but no sense whatsoever.
Old 11-27-22, 09:29 AM   #34
senkosam

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg club tail perch (2).jpg (43.1 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg BWmcc4h.jpg (6.3 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by senkosam; 11-27-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-27-22, 02:07 PM   #35
AUFred

fun was had to get those pictures. too windy here right now to get on local ponds with a flat bottom jon boat.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-22, 04:08 PM   #36
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
fun was had to get those pictures. too windy here right now to get on local ponds with a flat bottom jon boat.
Much too cold here to even fish from shore - not that anything could be caught in water that's in the lower 50's with thin ice melting off the top daily. Sometimes I wish I still lived in Texas.
Old 12-07-22, 04:21 PM   #37
senkosam

Some more photo ideas that proved fish catchers this year.

I've wondered why fish strike large lures, especially small fish of any species. For the h of it I dipped the bodies once in 300 degree plastic from a microwave-heated Pyrex cup. It was amazing the size and fish type range that hit those tubby bodies.

Note the clear plastic curl tails that caught fish which proves again (like the clear Zara Spook) that lures don't necessarily need color depending on a few things such as proximity to it and noise/ vibration.

It's only a guess (as usual) that the thicker body belongs in a fish's b/y even less than other smaller lures and the fish decides to show it who's the boss.
Does the fish want to eat it? Not my area of expertise. All I know is that fish will attack an unlimited number of lure actions + shapes on any day but only as long as the lure
1. gets a fish's attention via its senses
2. is within a size range and then
2. provokes the strike

Simple as that in my book.

Last edited by senkosam; 12-07-22 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 04:50 PM   #38
AUFred

Funny what provokes a strike. At certain times very little action needs to be imparted to a lure to get a strike. Other times a sudden change in action will get a strike such as pausing a lure. Other times a fast retrieve such as a buzzbait gets a reaction strike. I have literally just cast a Texas rigged plastic worm and let it sit for 10 minutes or more and had a bass pick it up and swim away. It is called fishing for a reason because every day you have to unlock what works. I like what you are doing with plastics, fun to catch on your own creations.
Old 12-08-22, 01:50 AM   #39
senkosam

When I started using lures, I cast all kinds - many at moderate speeds such as blade baits, surface lures, crankbaits, curl tail Mr Twisters. But as I watched other anglers fish in the two bass clubs I belonged to, slowing down was key much of the time. The nice thing about soft plastics in general are the huge variety of shapes and action that can be used with many presentations and speed retrieves.

I'm impatient when it comes to covering water but basically still use slow retrieve type lures - none with treble hooks (though still own hundreds).

"Funny what provokes a strike."

... and more than that, consistently. The lure shapes I display along with slow retrieve with pauses, provoke fish. Call it teasing, convincing a fish the lure is food or anything else many claim as reasons for the strike. But provocation via fish senses is everything IMO. Everything else - labels. Amazing that to this day many anglers know what fish think.

Last edited by senkosam; 12-08-22 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 10:57 AM   #40
senkosam

I forgot to thank you AUfred for your clear understanding of the combination of lure action, size and design as it relates to fish strikes. If everyone felt the same, many lure companies would be no more as well as lure sponsorship by pro anglers. My thing when it comes to lures: if it consistently catches fish, I want it. The more versatile it is (presentation or structure), the more exciting the lure is to use.

That's not to say that the classics don't have a place. Many thousands do - some which are no longer produced. My thing is lure innovation and casting lures that cover water the fastest but also the most effective way(s) possible. They are the only photo-worthy lures I add to my records. The rest - been there caught that no big deal.

JMHO
Old 12-16-22, 02:14 PM   #41
AUFred

Thanks Sam. I get lazy at times and don't remember that you are trying to fool a creature into hitting something unnatural most of the time. I will cast & crank sometimes instead of enticing a strike. I try to remember every cast could be a wall hanger or look like bait.

As far as classics go, I actually won a bass tournament in which most of my fish were caught on a coach dog pattern Hula Popper. I will drag out an old confidence bait if things aren't working. I believe confidence is often overlooked.
Old 12-19-22, 03:47 AM   #42
senkosam

I just sent some of my creations to someone on another forum excited by the photos posted upon his request. If interested I could send you some.

Frank
senkosam@gmail.com
Old 07-19-23, 08:38 PM   #43
senkosam

Just happened to read all the replies to the original post and gotta say you guys are #A1 !!!

Still tinkering, but more important: asking questions regarding various lure design actions and fish reactions to them. Now before you assume that the panfish shown are the only fish that bite smaller lures, you'd be incorrect. But more important are the specific actions that make fish react.

Take the 5" Softie Worm. After I caught fish on the Yamamoto Kut Tail, I figured that was it. BTW: the Kut Tail has an amazing near-surface to mid-depth action when the rod tip is twitched causing it to dart back and forth and quiver when paused. Then I found the Softie and the action was even better! Many species attack it like crazy!

Another example is the carrot stick. Shaped like the veggie, it also darts back and forth and glides between rod tip twitches / slight reel handle turns.

These are not hybrids: the stick comes from a mold; the Softie I bought online. The actions are different; what they consistently catch is a blast all due to unique lure actions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4362.JPG (62.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4360.JPG (44.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4350.JPG (56.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4353.JPG (77.9 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by senkosam; 07-19-23 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-24-23, 09:58 PM   #44
senkosam

Who says mods don't catch big fish or fish normally caught on live bait!

examples:

wacky rig mods rigged on jigheads:

Spoon used as a mold /legs shaped from the same spoon dipped in hot plastic added:

(Got the hang of postimages.org)

Last edited by senkosam; 09-24-23 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-24-23, 10:36 PM   #45
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Thanks Sam. I get lazy at times and don't remember that you are trying to fool a creature into hitting something unnatural most of the time. I will cast & crank sometimes instead of enticing a strike. I try to remember every cast could be a wall hanger or look like bait.

As far as classics go, I actually won a bass tournament in which most of my fish were caught on a coach dog pattern Hula Popper. I will drag out an old confidence bait if things aren't working. I believe confidence is often overlooked.
Re: the words in bold:
Fish can't be fooled - they don't have a brain capable of associating lures to living things. JMHO
Confidence is key and no matter how weird-looking a lure looks, if it catches fish so be it!

A few ideas that some may find interesting I posted today on another forum:

Color choice has been beaten to death. Fact is, the closer a lure is within the visual range of a fish, the more the true hue is seen. But even then does it really matter?

One definition of superstition is: a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck.

In the case of lures, we all hope that our choice will provoke a fish to strike regardless of the many factors mentioned in the original post. I want to believe it is the right choice and refuse to change - especially if fish are caught early on. Lure shape, size, weight and action, as well as color brightness and presentation are pretty much it when it comes to what lures to cast and where to cast them. Your guess is as good as mine.

When I fished in local club bass tournaments, my lure selection was simple: skirted jigs with pork frog trailers (years before plastic trailers), spinnerbaits and Texas-rigged Mr Twister 7" worms and bullet sinker. I did well without using crankbaits or surface lures that don't cover as much water. (Note: blade choices also made their way into my spinnerbait lurecraft.)

But here's an example of a superstition promoted on TV fishing shows a long time ago: bass hold on longer when a pork frog is used because of the flesh (and who knows what else it supposedly represents). Also suggested were living-rubber solid skirt colors for different occasions used on jigs and spinnerbaits (silicone skirts of every color and pattern came out years later). Total nonsense! I can say that because I tied my bass jigs and spinnerbaits using different colors and skirt materials, catching fish on most and more so when different plastic trailers made the scene. Most combinations worked without a thought as to what fish thought they represented.

But I am superstitious when it comes to personal color choices for certain lures - because I want to be. Colors can be subtle or bright. Color combinations may get it done better vs. black or white. All I know is that action (fish caught ) speaks louder than claims of why: it either catches fish or it doesn't and catches fish on many outings over many years. Case closed.

Of course, it's fun for many to carry 150 lures around hoping one of them gets bit more often than not usually by sheer luck, some superstition or other unproven reason, supposedly based on science and/or logic. Problem is, fish never read the book.....

Last edited by senkosam; 09-24-23 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 03:52 PM   #46
senkosam

Quote:
Thanks to these guys not only do I reuse plastics to the point of them falling apart. I have fused lizards into snakes, worms into very long lizards, and my tubes have become a little of everything. The term creature bait is the best description of half my plastics.
flfireman

Quote:
I get lazy at times and don't remember that you are trying to fool a creature into hitting something unnatural most of the time.
AUFred

My obsession to a T! When it comes to what works, check out this video:
https://imgur.com/BuULxuN
Bet none of us can catch a fish in our mouths.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.