Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-12, 09:13 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default NJot a good opening day

Immediate catch n release opened last Saturday. Obviously, I was excited!

So....yeah...lol

Hit my favorite spring time lake, Otter. Managed 4 dinks, and headed up the trail to Bass Lake. 3 dinks....sensing a trend? (Trend is over, I caught nothing after that). Decided to drive down a narrow 2 track that led around Bass Lake, and past Deer lake.

Deer Lake is pretty secluded, the woods are thick, and just a bit spooky. I saw "Ned Beatty wuz here" carved into a tree. No fish, but this is where the story gets cool!

I saw 3 bald eagles perched in the same big ol pine tree. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen!
Before I left, I found a glass bottle lying next to a log jam. The bottle is about 14 oz and has Jack Daniel embossed in the glass. No " 's", just Jack Daniel.
Still tryin to get the muck cleaned out of that thing.

Hit Grass lake above the Betsie River, the next day. The only fish caught, was by an eagle. They're comin out of the woodwork!

Finally caught a couple keepers on Tuesday. Water temps have been pretty cold, but have been improving all week, due to much warmer temps and rain.

Every fish I've caught so far has been wacky rigged. Strike King Ochos and Strike King Perfect Plastic Finesse Worms, in Dirt and Ox Blood colors.

Dyin to throw a lipless crank!!!!
Old 05-04-12, 10:00 PM   #2
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like a pretty good day to me. Not every day you can see a bald eagle let alone 3 in the same tree. Seeing one catch a fish would be even cooler!
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 10:36 PM   #3
bamabassman

better than a day at work mike. at least you got 3 dinks. i cn't even get a skeeter to bite....not even me!
Old 05-04-12, 10:49 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Yeah, the bald eagles really made my day for sure. May never see anything like that again.
And to think Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as our national bird! More than one scary thought there!

John, bear in mind, when they start bitin down your way, you're bound to catch some bigguns!
How was the fishing in Manila? They use spinnerbaits over there? I'm looking to export......
Old 05-05-12, 07:45 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Carry a camera and catch those moments for father time.Just guessing wasnt a waste of time.

Yes while fishing
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 06:40 PM   #6
keithdog

Congrats on your great day. Yeah, so ya got dinks. At least you felt that fight, plus the eagles. Thats awsome man. I know your a little further north, but from what I experienced today, the bass are ahead of schedule. Saw lots of bedding bass and several old beds. Didn't expect that.
Old 05-10-12, 10:20 AM   #7
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a GREAT unproductive day.
Just admit it, you don't fish to catch fish anyways, you just don't want to tell the guys at work your real passion is Bird Watching.
On the Mississippi up north here the eagles congragate every winter. They sit in trees, on the ice at open water edges. They love upper Mississippi due to the bluffs that line both sides of the river up here. One day I counted 25, ya 25 at one open water spot. All sitting on open water edge on the Ice. Pretty neat!
Another time I was fishing Eagle River. Caught a 4-5 inch perch that swallowed the hook deep and the perch didn't make it so it was tossed overboard. We'ed seen a Baldy sitting in a tree like an hour earlier but not again. Out of no where this big arse Baldy swooped down and took the perch out of the water. Less than 5 feet from boat. Scared the crap out of me. Those things got like a 6ft wing span. Wasn't like it was up a tree watching, came swooping down out of nowhere. I still jump alittle when I think back on it.
Same day CAUGHT a flying water pigeon (Seagull) out of the air. Wing got tangled swooping thru a long cast and wraped the line around one wing. You think Northerns can be tuff to unhook, try detangling a live seagull. Wow.
Mellan heres a sight for when you can't get out but still want to watch birds.
Check it out, others may want to check it out too.

http://www.farmyou.com/falcon_cams/index.html
The babies are almost ready to fly.
If you can catch feeding time, it's pretty impressive. Ususally if there are three at least one one gets pushed out of nest from aggresive sibblings. They like to fight for the food brought in by parents.
So no-one has to ask, I don't watch it cause unless thier feeding it's boring as heck to me. Neat all the same.
Another time is if you can catch the adults flying in, dad usually brings food, mother feeds. This is my first viewing this year, wasn't sure they still had it.
Last year after a late heavy snow it was a trip watching them clean out the nest.
On the right side of link page they have a daily hour by hour break down of pics.
Anyways thanks for the share Mike.

Last edited by joedog; 05-10-12 at 10:36 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.