Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-10, 09:55 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default I really thought I would never own one....

but I actually broke down and bought a $400 rod...for $240. Which is still too damned much money for a fishing rod, but what the heck...you only live once.

My St. Croix Legend Extreme XC76MHMF arrived today. I always love the feeling an 8' cardboard tube on your doorstep gives you when you arrive home from work. It brings back the way you felt as a kid when you came out on Christmas morning and saw all of those presents under the tree.

While I am not sure the guy selling it was 100% honest...I am pretty much blown away by this rod. He advertised it as "new", but there are a couple of tiny superficial scratches on the rod; you have to hold the rod up at the right angle to see them. I'm not sure if this thing was a blem, he fished it a couple of times, or it just got scratched up on the store shelf by customers handling it. It is an amazing rod for the price, nonetheless.

The first thing I notice when I pick it up is how much it doesn't weigh. At 4.8 ounces, it's lighter than most of the ultralight spinning rods I've owned in my life. And this thing is 7 and a half feet long. Technology is good.

I'm not sure how well it translates to detecting fish bites, but I always like to take a rod and place the tip on a speaker and see how low I can turn the volume down and still feel the vibrations in the handle. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing in my old age, but I could feel some of the "noise" with my hands that I could barely make out with my ears.

I'm going to pair this thing up with a Revo Premier for a total weight of less than 12 ounces.

The next thing I did was check out the REC Recoil guides. You can literally bend these things over with your thumb, and they spring right back into place. I don't plan on bending them any more now, at least on purpose.

It seems to be a bit more stiff than my Mojo Bass MB76MHMF, and the action seems just a smidgin faster. I get the serious feeling that if I jerk on a big ol' sow in the weeds with this rod, she's comin' out. Major backbone.

This purchase is just going to make the next 10 weeks harder. Who knows...maybe February will turn nice on us, and I'll have to do some late Winter fishing with it. I don't actually have what I would call a deep jigging rod, but I think this rod would work in a pinch rather well. When Spring gets here, I am definitely going to use this rod for what it was meant for...pitching. Also as an open water spinnerbait rod.
Old 01-07-10, 10:56 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congratulations, I am in the market for a rod for my new Revo Premier myself. I hope I get a deal at least half as good as yours.

That is an awesome rod, I haven't used one myself but I hear great things about them.
Those REC guides are neat too. I wonder how long they keep their low memory?

I do sort of the same thing to test the sensitivity of my rods before I buy them. I have a buddy stand in place and I shove the tip into his adams apple and I have him grunt.
Old 01-07-10, 11:21 PM   #3
Bender

I'm sure you will love that rod and what a great price! I really like the Recoil guides and they have held up for me very well. Some guys don't like them because they are noisy, especially with braid. I find the only time they are really noisy is when I have a fish on, and that is a very sweet noise.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:25 PM   #4
bassboogieman

That's one hell of a rod. If I wasn't so sold on my Kistler rods, my rod locker would be full of the St. Croix Legends. It was a very tough decision a few short years ago when I decided to move up to a "premium" rod. I used a couple of each for a couple of weeks before deciding upon the Kistler - mainly due to a wider selection of rod lengths and actions in both casting and spinning rods. I think you'll really like the recoil guides, I have them on my LTX rods. Never have to worry about loosing an insert again. LOL!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:54 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Congrats nofear, sounds like one sweet rod. And you hit the nail on the head about finding the tube on the porch. When I came home to find my HMGs waitin for me a few weeks back, I just started grinnin.
Old 01-08-10, 04:58 AM   #6
islandbass

Sweet deal! Please post a review when you get a chance. What reel to you plan to match it with?
Old 01-08-10, 09:23 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Awesome deal nofear!

Don't forget to give us a review when winter's over.

BB
Old 01-08-10, 03:02 PM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For that kind of $$ I would have bought another GRANDT rod..I can honestly say they are by far the best rod I have ever fished with, superlight, superstrong, great cust.service and they build to suit... and no I am not getting paid to say this...just a fantastic rod company!
Old 01-08-10, 03:35 PM   #9
paul
BassFishin.Com Member

congrats on your new rod. sounds like it'll be awesome. obviously you are severely dedicated/addicted/ obsessed. honestly i don't think i've ever paid $240 for any rod and reel i have - put together. a lot of the stuff i have probably would have been expensive, but i live close to a gander mtn. store that has some INSANE sales/deals seemingly every time i'm there. i'm talkin' shimano crucials for 59-79 bucks. pfleuger summit reels for 100. not sure how this place stays in business, but i ain't askin' any questions. good luck with the new rod man. wanna hear a review.
Old 01-08-10, 03:43 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
obviously you are severely dedicated/addicted/ obsessed.
Absolutely!!!

Unfortunately, not very talented.

But I'm workin' on it.
Old 01-08-10, 05:50 PM   #11
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Absolutely!!!

Unfortunately, not very talented.

But I'm workin' on it.

I hear you cut a mean rug though
Old 01-08-10, 06:39 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I hear you cut a mean rug though
I don't know about cutting any rugs, but I do like trmming carpets.
Old 01-08-10, 06:43 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I don't know about cutting any rugs, but I do like trmming carpets.

LMAO! I prefer 'em pre-trimmed, that way I'm not blamed for any nicks or scrapes
Old 01-08-10, 10:37 PM   #14
bassinbob

Nofear I have a Legend Tournament and it's a great rod so I can invision all the pleasure you will get from your Extreme. Now if you ever get tired using it I have some antique Mitchell 300"s and Ugly stix's to trade.
Old 01-09-10, 12:06 PM   #15
keithdog

Thats going to be one hell of an outfit Nofear! A couple very miner scratches is certainly worth it. After this weeks weather, I don't think either of us are going to the lake any time soon. But I certainly do understand your desire! It's already been a long winter.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 12:44 PM   #16
Bassboss

Nice buy nofear! Sounds like an insane rod!

Make sure to NOT give a review, that way I won't want to spend that much on a rod!

jk, please post one!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.