Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-08, 10:48 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thumbs up Canyon Lake TX. 5/31/08

Great friend Steve sacrificed his gas to drive from Johnson City TX to meet me at Canyon and launch his ZX250/Yammie 250HP at Launch #1 (AKA Holiday Launch) at 0530. (He chose the plan, not I.)
We fished for a few hours until lake lice and heat became an issue.
He had Numbers Honors; eight to my seven. I had Weight 'n Keeper Honors by several ounces...not pounds. I wore myself out on the TM due to wind...and there WAS wind! (Did I mention HEAT?) All fish thanked and released.
My first four came on a 4" Senko in Watermelon, wacky-rigged on a weedless Gamakatsu, fished on a Lowrider 5-167 spin rod. The others on a Watermelon/Red ZOOM U-tail, 1/8th tungsten bullet, glass bead, 3/0 'Katsu EWG, all tossed on a St.Croix Avid 6'6" MHF casting rod.
Both rigs used P-Pro Yellow braid (Visibilty-enhanced with Spike-It Tail Dye, NOT DIP!) and pure fluoro leaders.
One of his came on a ZOOM Trick Worm, the rest on the ZOOM Wm/Red U-tail.
We launched at Holiday 'cause we wanted to fish that area without ever starting the motor but the ramp there is a PITA for recovery, especially when wet. Soooo...according to plan, when we were through, I drove him to the dock at Holiday so he could drive truck 'n trailer to Tom Creek Launch, then I drove Bug Boat up-lake to Tom Creek, merrily hopping wave 'n wake with utter impunity.
After I drove 'er onto the trailer we then drove BACK to the original site to recover my old green Dirtmobile and then we parted company.
Great day with a "Student" who has caught on fast and is a total delight to fish and joke with.

L6

PeeYess: Key to success and survival; Gatorade!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:30 PM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Sounds like how Fly Boy used to talk...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:43 PM   #3
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What's the water clarity up there in Cayon Lake? Ever fished Lake Casa Blanca?
Old 06-01-08, 11:40 PM   #4
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
What's the water clarity up there in Cayon Lake? Ever fished Lake Casa Blanca?
Steve,

Compared to what you'll soon discover at LCC, the water is like good gin!
Seriously, with the increasing algae bloom, as the water temps rise, Canyon still has good clarity, though not so gin-clear as one might encounter at, say, Amistad...about two feet, depending on location and boat traffic.
Casa Blanca? Well, to be truthful; I don't recall if I've ever fished it. If I have it would have been during a span from the mid-70s to early 80s. There WAS much talk about doing so and a friend and I were actually headed that way on one occasion when we got diverted, via his vehicle's Motorola two-way radio, to Amistad...weird circumstances on that one and a story for another time.
An old high school acquaintance fished CB occasionally, circa the mid/late 70s, and did weigh a ten bass stringer of 54 pounds during a tournament there.
All fish were caught on TRUE jig 'n pig...real pork rind!
I was thinking about your upcoming trip to LCC. Assuming you'll be able to safely navigate pre-dawn, I recommend you have at least two forms of topwater baits; A large Jitterbug and the larger SPRO Frog, in addition to other types you may already plan to toss.
The J'bug can be retrieved slowly and steadily and the SPRO can be ditto, almost "walked" in short twitches, and paused now and then keep in a potential strike zone longer. This can be a real help during low light periods and especially in more turbid water.
Normally, when turbidity has reduced light penetration, bass may linger in the shallower water for a longer period post-daylight. These baits might do the trick.
Note: You can actually add sound to the SPRO Frog! Obtain some large glass rattles and insert one into the body cavity by wetting it with saliva and forcing in via where the hooks or skirt exit the body. It will not adversely affect flotation or action. A round plastic rattle, such as found in the little rubber pocket thing seen under some jigs, is a great choice as well. Just be careful to not split the soft plastic as you insert it into the frog.
Finally, a shot of scent into the body cavity can't hurt either. Since there's no "Essence of Kermit" on the market, so far as I know, I'd use garlic scent. Who knows?...some big ol' LCC bass might be hankerin' for some Frog Legs Italiano!

L6
Old 06-02-08, 03:42 PM   #5
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wow... Thanks L6... I will certainly try that this weekend at LCC... I will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks a bunch!!!

-stevo59
Old 06-02-08, 08:13 PM   #6
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
Wow... Thanks L6... I will certainly try that this weekend at LCC... I will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks a bunch!!!

-stevo59
You, Sir, are most welcome. (Visa or Paypal?)

Lancer The Sixth

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.