Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-08, 01:58 PM   #1
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bowfin

Was fishing Saturday afternoon on Oneida lake in NY. It was about 730 and I was fishing real shallow water, about 2 to 3 feet. I was fishing some lily pads and reed grass with a SPRO frog. had a couple hits but nothing to write home about. On one cast as I was just about to reel it into the boat I see a shadow under it. So I left it for a minute and then twitched it a few times. I was getting closer and I first just thought it was an average size LM or SM. When it got closer the mouth looked different and the profile looked different as well, but I couldn't get a good look. Then it got a little spooked and I got a good look at it and sure enough it was a bowfin. I got pretty excited and screamed to my wife, that was a bowfin, she could care less however, lol. I have only seen them in pictures, and at aquariums and read about them in school (studied fisheries in college), but never caught one. So I was pretty excited and didn't realize that Oneida had a bowfin population. Just wish I caught it so I could have had a really good look. Anyways pretty cool little story that I wanted to share with you guys. Not a bass but neat none the less.
Beamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 04:55 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cool, never even seen a picture of one. anyone got a good photo of one?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 05:08 PM   #3
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey beamer, did you get that new boat out? how did she treat you? What was the bite like the rest of the day? I'm going out tommorow, not Oneida though, that lake is a little much for my canoe!
Old 07-07-08, 06:35 PM   #4
WTL

I caught this one about 3 years ago. They really put up a fight. There are some I know at least near Eutaw John, but I've never seen one on the tennessee river. They destroy spinnerbaits.
Old 07-07-08, 07:39 PM   #5
Marty

I don't know if this qualifies as a "good" photo, but my partner caught this 6.75# a few weeks ago from a tributary bay of Lake Ontario.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 07:47 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Cypress Trout..

Capt Mike
Old 07-07-08, 08:24 PM   #7
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There is a marsh about 5 miles from my house where we catch carp, gar and bowfin untill you get tired of it! They are dang fun though, fight really good. We catch alot just using crawlers, but I've thrown top water baits and they nail them. Back in 2005 while fishing in Florida, I caught a 7 pound bowfin while bass fishin.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 06:43 AM   #8
keithdog

I've never caught a bowfin, however a long time ago my father caught a HUGE bowfin when we were fishin together. It had a very stinky slime all over it. It really reaked! Is this normal for bowfins, or perhaps this one was effected by something?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:06 AM   #9
Bob Smith

Wow, now that news to me! I only thought we had them down here in the south. Pictures don't lie though, you guys definitely have them up there too! Pound for Pound there is probably not a harder fighting fish in fresh water. Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are pretty much toast after getting a hold of one those bad boyz!
Old 07-08-08, 08:16 AM   #10
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

Brushhog - Yea got my boat out, love it, except I haven't been able to run the motor. The first time out it wouldn't run, I flooded the crap out of it, and didn't realy think about it, just figured I hadn't learned the motor yet. Took it home and got some muffs and got it running in the driveway. Took it back out and it ran in the water but couldn't ge it into gear without it stalling. Well after looking at everything, I think the fuel connector that goes into the motor is shot, so I am chaning both the male on the line and the female on the motor. Hopefully that will work. But the rest of the boat is awesome. Haven't really got to fish a lot because I was trying to get the motor running, but I caught a couple on a red flake Yum Dinger.

Fishinfool - I would love to catch a gar, they are cool, would love to see one close up.

Keithdog - I think it really depends on a lot of things, could be the body of water and what they are feeding on that is emitting that smell. Lots of times that is a defense mechanism, or signs it is fighting a desease. American eels, will emit this really nasty slim when they are caught in a net to help them escape, and that stuff is nasty, and I believe that bowfins can do the same.

Glad to see the response to this. Thought I was the only one who would get excited about it. I am glad to be part of the "Nuthouse" as you guys say.
Beamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 12:13 PM   #11
Bender

Those things are so nasty! I caught a big one a few years ago on a buzz bait, he was about 28" or so. That was in the lake at my house that I am looking at right now, also where the state record of 14# and 35" was caught. There are big ones out there, but I don't see them too often. I know several people who bowfish for them up here along with carp and gar.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 05:24 PM   #12
bamabassman

cool gang! never seen one afore, looks sorta like a trout huh? maybe one day i'll catch one somewhere. thanks gang.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 05:40 PM   #13
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Your trout down there must be different. That looks nothing like a trout...
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 10:33 AM   #14
3dkicker

Landing a Bowfin

Rule #1 - Don't! ('nuff said)
Rule #2 - use pliers to remove hook at side of the boat
Rule #3 - make sure they are long handled pliers
Rule #4 - don't expect your spinnerbait or buzzbait to run correctly after being removed
Rule #5 - If you have to grab one, don't lip them, grab it behind the head and squeeze just above the gills. For some reason they stop fighting when held this way.
Old 07-10-08, 05:25 PM   #15
WTL

I always net them into the boat, step on the head to hold it secure then use the pliers. You gotta have pliers. A pipe wrench also comes in handy sometimes.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.