Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-08, 07:44 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Bass

WTL's describing of the Shoal Bass got me to thinking:

What makes a bass, a bass?

WTL stated that the Shoal Bass has no hybridizing or crossing of bass species, but is its own species. It is called a bass, but technically is not one of the five black bass species, (Largemouth, Smallmouth, Spotted, Guadalupe, and Suwanee).

So...

What makes our five black bass, bass?
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 11:56 PM   #2
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just to mix it up a little, what we call "bass" aren't really bass.
(Taken from one of WTL's links to write ups)
'"black bass", including largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass, are not true bass at all but actually members of the sunfish family Centrarchidae."

Last edited by senko; 07-05-08 at 12:05 AM.
senko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 01:22 AM   #3
islandbass

senko nailed it.

Just as with other things, the name bass stuck because we are familiar and accustomed to calling them bass. Another example is in golf. Back in the day, drivers were called "woods" and naturally so, because they were made from wood. But today, just I can't think of a Pro or amateur that doesn't player with a driver with a head not made of metal. Yet, people still call these clubs woods, but if they wanted to be technically correct or at the very least consistent, they should be calling them metals, e.g., my 1-metal driver or 5-fairway metal.
Old 07-05-08, 03:41 AM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This whole thread is based on an incorrect premise, the Shoal bass is a black bass. There are 7 species currently recognized. Any other possible species out there are currently classified as 1 of the 7. Buzz needs to read more carefully and start threads more judiciously.

What makes a bass is what makes any other species. Its a system of scientific classification.
Old 07-05-08, 09:23 AM   #5
Buzz Wing

WTL,

When I went back and read it, I realized I made a mistake.
Now I know it has to do with the family, genus, etc... I was wondering what characterisitics makes bass bass though.

For example, if somebody found a new species of fish, what would that fish have to exhibit to scientifically be called a bass.

Old 07-06-08, 10:07 PM   #6
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well technically if a new species of fish was found it couldn't be called a "bass" because this is already a family of fish.... But i know what you mean....
Any ways, what makes a fish or any animal related to one another is, they share genetic characteristics and they are capable of interbreeding, that makes a species a species. But physical characteristics that would make a bass... a bass would be: Its body form and shape. Black bass are known as rover predators, some what lie and wait, ambush but also make short bursts for chasing prey. A nother key I.D. key would be its mouth size, a large or larger mouth compared to its body size. Eyes that are its main senesory organ that are positioned up farther on its head. These characteristics are pretty much make a bass a bass.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:52 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Thanks fool. Exactly what I was lookin' for!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.