Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-05-13, 12:41 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I'm thinking, swimjig trailer.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ductId=1389617
Old 03-05-13, 01:49 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

I'm thinking that thing looks like Otter scat! Seriously though......I went fishing yesterday and struggled to get bit. When I finally managed to catch one I pumped his stomach for clues and out came 1/2 dozen..........leeches Changed over to brown/black 4" finesse worms cut down to 3" wacky rigged on a brim hook with a tiny split shot......dead sticked and caught 10-12. Mostly small but still turned a bad day into a good day. Those gulps would have worked perfectly.

I've pumped the stomachs of hundreds of fish over the years and I don't think I remember seeing leeches in any of them. Just for curiosity I scooped up some of the bottom muck/leaves from the shallows near where I was fishing and lo and behold leeches. I always thought leeches were a northern thing, maybe it's the fishing scene from "The Great Outdoors" stuck in my head. Do they sell leeches at the bait stores up there? Pam says she can get me some from the hospital if I want them, strange to think that primitive medical practices can still be the best in todays modern world...she says they use them to help reattached fingers and such feel "at home" helps reestablish bloodflow yada yada yada
Old 03-05-13, 02:05 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I'm thinking that thing looks like Otter scat! Seriously though......I went fishing yesterday and struggled to get bit. When I finally managed to catch one I pumped his stomach for clues and out came 1/2 dozen..........leeches Changed over to brown/black 4" finesse worms cut down to 3" wacky rigged on a brim hook with a tiny split shot......dead sticked and caught 10-12. Mostly small but still turned a bad day into a good day. Those gulps would have worked perfectly.

I've pumped the stomachs of hundreds of fish over the years and I don't think I remember seeing leeches in any of them. Just for curiosity I scooped up some of the bottom muck/leaves from the shallows near where I was fishing and lo and behold leeches. I always thought leeches were a northern thing, maybe it's the fishing scene from "The Great Outdoors" stuck in my head. Do they sell leeches at the bait stores up there? Pam says she can get me some from the hospital if I want them, strange to think that primitive medical practices can still be the best in todays modern world...she says they use them to help reattached fingers and such feel "at home" helps reestablish bloodflow yada yada yada
I can't speak for WI, but all of the bait shops I frequent here in MN sell leeches. I don't ever buy them, though, unless my brother-in-law is coming up to our cabin. He drags them around the bottom of the lake for walleye. It's usually a "trial and error" sort of deal with leeches, crawlers, or minnows to see what works best on a given day.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 03:41 PM   #4
joedog

I met two young men at one of the ponds I fish and they were using live leeches and catching a lot.
Gulp has leech baits too. As Dean mention , the Walleye anglers love leeches.

I'm thinking of trying dropshotting a gulp leech this year.
Old 03-05-13, 08:28 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Give that thing a try on a swim jig and let us know how it works for ya. Also, leaches are a huge bait in these parts too. Can catch about anything on them here. Big panfish seem to relish them.
Old 03-05-13, 08:46 PM   #6
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Leaches are sold by the pound here $30 to $50 per pound walleyes love them and bass are way easier to catch on them also.
Old 03-06-13, 06:45 AM   #7
IowaBasser

Yup, we use leeches a lot, mostly for walleye but we catch lots of accidental bass with them too. One of the main reasons we use leeches is that minnows are banned on the lake I fish. We've tried the gulp alive leeches and minnows but never caught a thing.
Old 03-06-13, 07:56 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

I'd really like to find a source for leeches like this...... .!Name:  leech.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  3.9 KB
or even this
Click image for larger version

Name:	big leech.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	8595
Old 03-06-13, 11:47 AM   #9
coldbasser

Thumbs up Big Leeches

Yup, we use leeches a lot, mostly for walleye but we catch lots of accidental bass with them too. One of the main reasons we use leeches is that minnows are banned on the lake I fish. We've tried the gulp alive leeches and minnows but never caught a thing.

If some one can get large leechesd I would be happy to get some from them.
Old 03-12-13, 10:16 AM   #10
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
I always thought leeches were a northern thing
clearly revisionist history...

Please share the method you use for flushing stomach contents from your bass.

oe

Last edited by OkobojiEagle; 03-12-13 at 11:18 AM.
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 08:17 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

Name:  thCAQSND9C.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  2.5 KB

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  5.0 KB

Usually just the baster sometimes the speculum to facilitate.

**if you want or need details pm me**
Old 03-16-13, 10:26 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The leeches make me cringe, but that tool on the bottom makes me rethink my profession. The good, the bad, and the catcher's mitt.
Old 03-27-13, 08:35 PM   #13
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pumping stomachs

Quote:

What do you use for pumping stomachs and how are you using it.? Also does it matter the size of fish you will use this on?
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:00 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

PM sent......................

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.