Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-09, 02:03 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lowrance HDS-7 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplott

Me and Lowrider have been eying this unit for a couple months now, does anyone have one, have any experience with one, or can offer any insight on the unit. It's a bit pricey so I thought I'd ask the crew before we decided this will be this years upgrade.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 02:09 PM   #2
MIbasser

I've posted before that my partner has 2 of 10's and they are great (to a point...). The only downfall I've heard about the 7's is they fill with water. This happened to my partner with one of his 10's. I think somebody on BBC said that he's gone through 2 or 3 of them with the same problem.
I'm about 95% sure that I'll end up with an HDS-5 for the front of my boat next spring. The other 5% is thinking about a HB SI.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 02:28 PM   #3
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I've posted before that my partner has 2 of 10's and they are great (to a point...). The only downfall I've heard about the 7's is they fill with water. This happened to my partner with one of his 10's. I think somebody on BBC said that he's gone through 2 or 3 of them with the same problem.
I'm about 95% sure that I'll end up with an HDS-5 for the front of my boat next spring. The other 5% is thinking about a HB SI.
Lowrance has a structure scan (their version of SI) coming out sometime soon, it is an add on for any hds unit they have (price tag around $650).
But with lowrances you can view side imaging, down imaging, and traditional sonar all on screen at the same time. It looks really good http://www.lowrance.com/StructureScan/ there is the link. This is the reason were looking at the lowrance over the hummingbird SI.

Back to the HDS 7 I wonder if there is a cover or something to put over it to waterproof it?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 02:45 PM   #4
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

Back to the HDS 7 I wonder if there is a cover or something to put over it to waterproof it?
I think it has to do with the mfg date. The units that were built late '08 and early '09 had issues and I would assume by now they are sealed properly (but check date).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 11:48 PM   #5
Bender

doc, Humminbird has their Down Scan version coming out in January that is a free upgrade to the 798, 997, and 1197 units that already have SI: https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campai...1abfda99ee6a80
I can't wait!
I do have 2 Lowrance units and one HB on the boat now and think that the Lowrance is better for "normal" sonar, but mine are not the HDS units. From what I hear the new HB software will also have a similar color scheme to their competitor for the normal sonar so that might even things out there too. I have had to exchange at least 5 units with LEI over the past 2 years though.

Either one you choose it will open a whole new light to fishing, especially deep structure. I spend so much time with it but it saves a lot of unproductive fishing time trying to figure out what's down there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 05:27 PM   #6
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I have the HDS-5 and love it. I cant wait for the Structure Scan to come out! Doc, if you have any question just ask ill do my best to answer them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.