Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-11, 03:24 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Clunn joining Skeet at Wright McGill

http://www.advancedangler.com/indust...%20McGill%20Co.

Maybe this means more rods, or at least more colors.
Old 01-27-11, 04:25 PM   #2
Jrob78

And hopefully more super sweet reels!
Old 01-27-11, 07:44 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ah yes, let's add purple rods and reels to list. I know it may be too much to ask from the makers of eagle claw hooks, but I'd like to see a series of rods with a bit better quality control.

BB
Old 01-27-11, 07:53 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Well they could have signed Kevin Short next!

Pretty in pink.
Old 01-29-11, 07:02 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Could be the flamingo trio then.
Old 01-29-11, 01:38 PM   #6
Tavery5

Gotta ask yourself what is this all about. I can't sit here and believe that either Skeet Reese or Rick Clunn honestly believe that these are the best rod and reels on the market. I am not trying to hate on anyone who uses their equipment, but I think it is obvious that there are better choices when it comes to gear. It would be interesting to see exactly what their contracts with W&M are. Kind of like when you hear the details of most other pro athletes contracts.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 05:17 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Tav, I'm sure it's all about money. W&M started bringing in big names with Trokar Hooks, and now they want more, so they're willing to pay for them.

BB
Old 01-29-11, 08:55 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Gotta ask yourself what is this all about. I can't sit here and believe that either Skeet Reese or Rick Clunn honestly believe that these are the best rod and reels on the market. I am not trying to hate on anyone who uses their equipment, but I think it is obvious that there are better choices when it comes to gear. It would be interesting to see exactly what their contracts with W&M are. Kind of like when you hear the details of most other pro athletes contracts.
I think you probably hit it right on the nail bud. Since I'm not a Skeet fan, I'd rather like to see him loose a big bass to a broken W&M rod that would have won him Angler of The Year. Thats probably a bad attitude, I know.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 08:57 PM   #9
keithdog

On second thought, I think W&M are probably trying to get "in the game" when it comes to gear and so they are willing to pay out big bucks for big names so as to get anglers attention. So I understand why he did what he did, but I still want to see the broken rod on hookset while watching him do a back flop right into the water, lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:40 PM   #10
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Some pros have no qualms about it. Take Kevin VanDam for instance......he is on record saying he could be in any boat manufacturer out there, but he chooses Nitro. Nitro is not known to be the best boat manufacturer out there, mid-tier at best.

Is it about more money? Probably. Could he do his job any better with another company? I don't think so...I am not sure it would help his fishing if he were in a Ranger or a Bass Cat. I think the equipment only takes you so far, the rest is God given talent.

**edited for punctuation (I am OCD) **

Last edited by CiK; 01-29-11 at 09:49 PM.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:57 PM   #11
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

And before I get lit up about it..........there is nothing wrong with Nitro boats. They are a good boat for what they offer, but its the old Chevy / Ford, Ranger / Nitro, and Quantum / Diawa headbutting that goes on. To each their own on how and where they spend their hard earned money.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 10:10 PM   #12
rrw4258

I wondered what was happening to all of the Rick Clunn rods and reels at BPS. It seems to me like Clunn has fallen off the wagon, so to speak, the last few years. He has not won or place well in many tournaments, and I saw BPS took him off of the Bass Pro's show this year as well. Although BPS did pick up Jaosn Williamsom, and Brian Snowden on The Bass Pro's.

If Clunn gets his own line of rods with W&M I hope they are better quality than what the Skeet rods are.

Ryan
Old 01-29-11, 10:14 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
If Clunn gets his own line of rods with W&M I hope they are better quality than what the Skeet rods are.
Ryan
They won't be, I would have to think Skeet wields much more power than Clunn.

This kind of goes to show you that what's between your ears effects fishing success much more than what's in your hands.
Old 02-02-11, 06:12 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I saw BPS took him off of the Bass Pro's show this year as well. Although BPS did pick up Jaosn Williamsom, and Brian Snowden on The Bass Pro's.
They probably got tired of filming for 3 months just to get enough video of him catching fish to fill a 30 minute show lol. Clunn was the man for several years, and is without a doubt one of the best 2 anglers of all time. But man that guy is just going through the motions now and it's kinda sad to see it.
Old 02-02-11, 06:55 PM   #15
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
They probably got tired of filming for 3 months just to get enough video of him catching fish to fill a 30 minute show lol. Clunn was the man for several years, and is without a doubt one of the best 2 anglers of all time. But man that guy is just going through the motions now and it's kinda sad to see it.
I agree with you Kory, but also taking into consideration that Skeet or anybody that is fishing now a days has a lot more competition than they had years ago. It seemed like for a while that all it was was Clunn, Bill Dance, and Roland Martin back years ago...

Ryan
Old 02-02-11, 08:19 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I agree with you Kory, but also taking into consideration that Skeet or anybody that is fishing now a days has a lot more competition than they had years ago. It seemed like for a while that all it was was Clunn, Bill Dance, and Roland Martin back years ago...

Ryan
There is no doubt that the competition is much stronger today than it was back in Clunns prime. But think about it this way, if technology today was no different than it was back then, would the competition be any tougher today than back them? There is no doubt that there are a lot of sticks today that were just born with the natural ability to find fish everywhere they go, and catch them. But I think that the better technology we have today also turns some pretty talented anglers into super stars. I'm not knocking it, hell if it wasn't for technology who knows how bad I would suck lol. But it seems like the better technology we have today kinda of narrowd the gap between the best in the world and the rest of the field.
Old 02-02-11, 09:52 PM   #17
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I always was a Rick Clunn fan growing up.... he was the guy to beat when I was a teenager. I caught some nice fish on some of his signature wooden crankbaits back in the mid '80s. But I am sure that middle age takes its toll on a guy with the intense demands of the tourney trail.

Has anyone seen the new series " Ultimate Match Fishing"? .... it is a neat new format where elite series anglers are matched up and compete against each other in the same boat. There is four quarters and a coin toss at the beginning determines who gets to control the boat and fish up front first. A few weeks ago they aired the matchup of Rick Clunn and Kevin VanDam. It was an awesome show and in the end Rick Clunn won the match. It is a bracket based tourney so the winner advances and the loser if he has enough weight can worked back up through the loser bracket. Very interesting show....at times very comical with some of the personalities that get matched up together. A few weeks ago, Iaconnelli and Gerald Swindle were in the same boat... they really talked the 'Smack' at each other..... Iaconnelli schooled Swindle... it was a fun show to watch as well..... it is very interesting to see the tactics these guys use when they are stuck in the back of the boat. Most of these guys have not fished from the back in years......
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 10:08 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFrogger View Post
I always was a Rick Clunn fan growing up.... he was the guy to beat when I was a teenager. I caught some nice fish on some of his signature wooden crankbaits back in the mid '80s. But I am sure that middle age takes its toll on a guy with the intense demands of the tourney trail.

Has anyone seen the new series " Ultimate Match Fishing"? .... it is a neat new format where elite series anglers are matched up and compete against each other in the same boat. There is four quarters and a coin toss at the beginning determines who gets to control the boat and fish up front first. A few weeks ago they aired the matchup of Rick Clunn and Kevin VanDam. It was an awesome show and in the end Rick Clunn won the match. It is a bracket based tourney so the winner advances and the loser if he has enough weight can worked back up through the loser bracket. Very interesting show....at times very comical with some of the personalities that get matched up together. A few weeks ago, Iaconnelli and Gerald Swindle were in the same boat... they really talked the 'Smack' at each other..... Iaconnelli schooled Swindle... it was a fun show to watch as well..... it is very interesting to see the tactics these guys use when they are stuck in the back of the boat. Most of these guys have not fished from the back in years......
Ultimate Match Fishing is a really cool show. It comes on either the Sportsman Channel or the Outdoor Channel, I can't remember which one. If any of you guys get either of those channels you should check it out. Joe Thomas is the host and Fish Fishburne does analysis. It comes on Friday nights.
Old 02-02-11, 11:48 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Ultimate Match Fishing is one of my favorite fishing shows. It's interesting to see how these guys make adjustments. They can be on a great bite on one end of the lake and in the next quarter the other guy can run him to the other end of the lake. Sometimes they end up in a tail spin but it's always interesting to see their decision making process.
Old 02-04-11, 07:57 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I know it is off the topic, but I thought I was going to have to get on Xanax or whatever that little pill that wobbles around like an egg on TV, when I came home and found out the had removed WFN. Was it lust or love? I don't know, but I miss it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.