Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-11, 10:12 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Smile Rematch!!! Bcs national championship bama-lsu jan 9, 2012

OK........let's hear the gripes folks.

yes i am glad to have a second chance. but now the debate is on agian. so give oyur reasons for and/or against this years BCS BOWL selections.

but be nice!!!! BAD SPORTSMANSHIP IS NEVER THE RIGHT ANSWER.
Old 12-04-11, 10:20 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have no problem at all with a rematch and am looking forward to it. I think we've got the two best teams in the nation playing in the national championship game. Without some sort of playoff, that's the way it should be in my eyes. I'm tired of hearing how Okie State should get a chance. They had their chance and blew it by losing to a mediocre-at-best Iowa State team by not being able to hold a 17 point lead in the second half, by turning the ball over in the 2nd OT and then by not even coming close to keeping ISU out of the end zone in the 2nd OT. That loss is way worse than Bama's OT loss to the #1 team. Just my .02 opinions.

P.S. - I sure do miss the days of my childhood when there were only a few bowl games and ALL of the big ones were played on January 1. Those were the days! Now we've got 35 bowls (seriously?) and teams like UCLA with a 6-7 record (again, seriously?), Iowa State at 6-6 overall and a lousy 3-6 record in conference play and 6-6 Illinois (2-6 in the Big Ten) all going bowling. And to poke more fun at Illinois, they are riding a SIX GAME LOSING STREAK, and 4 of their 6 wins came against Arkansas State, South Dakota State, Western Michigan and a 1-11 Indiana squad. There are tons of other teams I could have picked on, these are just a few. The bowl scene these days is pretty comical.

Last edited by WatterBoy; 12-04-11 at 10:31 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 10:50 PM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Go BAMA!!! I think they have it
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 10:53 PM   #4
Bassboss

First of Bama is the only team out there that can beat LSU. Some people are saying Huston should play, because they're undefeated, they haven't played a good team all seaosn, so it would be a 10000000 - 0 victory for LSU.

Only reason I can see why NOT to have a rematch is that we already played, but every other team that stands a chance at beating them IMO have already been beat by LSU.
Old 12-04-11, 10:59 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
First of Bama is the only team out there that can beat LSU. Some people are saying Huston should play, because they're undefeated, they haven't played a good team all seaosn, so it would be a 10000000 - 0 victory for LSU.

Only reason I can see why NOT to have a rematch is that we already played, but every other team that stands a chance at beating them IMO have already been beat by LSU.
Houston is no longer undefeated. They got manhandled, 49-28, by Southern Miss on Saturday in their conference championship.

Last edited by WatterBoy; 12-04-11 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 11:04 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

While I am not convinced that we have the two best teams in the nation playing in the National Championship game, I won't complain like I normally do this time of year about the BCS system screwing it all up and instead I will just say that I will enjoy watching this game. I honestly think that Oklahoma State might be a better team than Alabama but the powers that be chose to send Alabama to the title game and I don't think anyone can make a strong arguement against that decision. It is what it is and I am not making excuses for the pokes, but I will always wonder what the outcome of the Iowa State game would have been if OSU didn't suffer the loss of the members of the girls basketball program earlier that morning. I can't argue that LSU or Alabama doesn't deserve to play for the title, their records prove that they should be there. But I still think that if you lined Alabama or LSU up against Oklahoma State, Oklahoma State would prove they deserve to play for the title as much as anyone. But until someone comes up with a reasonable playoff system, we will all be speculating about who should and shouldn't be playing in the BCS Championship.
Old 12-04-11, 11:11 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

First of all like Dean said, Houston got beat yesterday.........badly lol.

But I don't think the question is if anyone is capable of beating LSU. The question is do we have the two best teams in the nation playing for the title? And I honestly believe that Oklahoma State is a better football team this year than Alabama. Yeah they got beat by Iowa State and that pretty much erased their chances, and I don't have a problem with that because getting beat by Iowa State should have erased their chances. But when you look at what happened earlier that morning and all the things those kids were dealing with when they got beat, I don't think you can say that they blew their chance, or proved themselves to not be as good as Alabama.
Old 12-04-11, 11:19 PM   #8
WatterBoy

I see what you're saying, Kory, but I don't see how that all of a sudden became a factor in the 3rd quarter when OSU was up 24-7. I could have seen them being "out of it" to start the game, but to lose that lead and also to miss a FG to put them ahead with about 1:00 left in regulation seems tough (to me) to pin on the accident from the night before.
Old 12-04-11, 11:48 PM   #9
keithdog

So far I think the bowl lineups are about as correct as it can be. I would prefer to see OSU and Alabama play each other and then let whoever wins that game go up against LSU. I know OSU lost to Iowa State, and because of that they deserve the bowl game they got. I have no problem with that. But I also believe they are a better team than that and if they played tomorrow, I have no doubt OSU would demolish Iowa State. Even the best of teams have their bad day. Bama shoulda and coulda beat LSU when they met had it not been for some bad mistakes that hurt them. It could esily have been Bama at the top of the polls at seasons end. So I'm fired up about the rematch. But if Bama does not play error free football, and fails to make all their field goals, I think they won't stand a chance.
Old 12-04-11, 11:59 PM   #10
keithdog

I just read that my beloved Irish are playing Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl. First of all, I've never heard of that bowl. And secondly, as much as I love my Irish, I'm not sure they or Florida State deserve to be in a bowl. Just wayyyyy too many bowls!
Old 12-05-11, 02:02 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I see what you're saying, Kory, but I don't see how that all of a sudden became a factor in the 3rd quarter when OSU was up 24-7. I could have seen them being "out of it" to start the game, but to lose that lead and also to miss a FG to put them ahead with about 1:00 left in regulation seems tough (to me) to pin on the accident from the night before.
I understand what your saying, Dean, and you make a descent point. But I have no idea how the accident effected them, when it effected them, or for that matter if it effected them at all. Maybe it's just too easy to point a finger at the accident for the reason that they got beat. All I know is a very talented football team, one that I would rank in the top 2 in the nation got beat by a fairly weak football team on the eve of a plane crash that claimed the lives of members of their school. Heck maybe if the crash didn't happen they would have been up by 50 points going into the 3rd quarter, or then again maybe they would have been down 50 points going into the 3rd quarter, I don't know. I don't want anyone to think I am suggesting that OSU should be given a pass to the championship game because of the crash, that isn't what I am saying at all. They got beat by a lesser quality team and that by all rights should cost them their chance at the championship. Alabama did their job and they earned the right to play in the title game. All I am saying is that I don't think we have the best two teams in the nation playing in the championship game. That isn't anything new, we hear these arguments every year and most of the time I agree that we don't have the best two teams in the nation playing for the title. But like Keith said, if Iowa State and Oklahoma State played 25 more times this season I would bet the farm that Oklahoma State would finish the season 25-1 against Iowa State. They didn't beat them when they had to and they are paying for it now. If LSU wins the championship game I will say that the best team in the country won the championship, if not then I will always swear that the 3rd best team in the country won the championship lol.

When LSU and Alabama played earlier this year it was about as exciting as watching paint dry, but somehow there were enough blown chances, and close calls to make the game entertaining to watch. I wonder what the over/under will be......6?
Old 12-05-11, 09:56 AM   #12
bassboogieman

First the disclaimer: I am not a college football fan.

Strictly from my application of logic - I don't like the match-up at all. I see it as a lose/lose situation for LSU. They've already played and beaten Alabama. Should Alabama defeat them in the post season - what does that prove? Only that they are equals in haveing a 1-1 record this season as opponents. Should that happen will they SHARE the National Championship? I don't think so. So if LSU wins, what does that prove? They've already done it, big deal. I would much rather see them play an opponent they have not seen this season, and Oklahoma would be my choice. I don't see a re-match of teams that played each other during the regular in a Bowl game as a benifit to the winner of the regular season game. They have little to win and very much to lose by doing so.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 11:08 AM   #13
WTL

I dont think osu should use the plane crash as an excuse. Did it affect them? Maybe. But whty has everybody outside the state of alabama already forgoten the tornado that left 1/3rd of tuscaloosa a parking lot and killed 40 people? That threw our longsnapper and his girl the length of a football field, killing her? Tragedies happen. We dont deserve a mullifan because of ours, and they dont deserve one either.
Old 12-05-11, 11:17 AM   #14
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree with boogieman. LSU has already done everything that they were suppose to do, Alabama hasn't. And although I believe the SEC is the best conference and Alabama and LSU are the best two teams in the country it will now become questioned. This is more proof that we need some sort of playoff. If Alabama played their way into the the championship I wouldn't have a problem with them playing.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 11:34 AM   #15
WTL

Who is the rightful big10 champion? Mich state beat wisconsin on the field.
Old 12-05-11, 11:59 AM   #16
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
First the disclaimer: I am not a college football fan.

Strictly from my application of logic - I don't like the match-up at all. I see it as a lose/lose situation for LSU. They've already played and beaten Alabama. Should Alabama defeat them in the post season - what does that prove? Only that they are equals in haveing a 1-1 record this season as opponents. Should that happen will they SHARE the National Championship? I don't think so. So if LSU wins, what does that prove? They've already done it, big deal. I would much rather see them play an opponent they have not seen this season, and Oklahoma would be my choice. I don't see a re-match of teams that played each other during the regular in a Bowl game as a benifit to the winner of the regular season game. They have little to win and very much to lose by doing so.
The regular season is only used to determine who gets into the playoffs, or in this case, the national championship game. Once there, everything that's happened in the past doesn't matter. Everyone is 0-0 again and winner takes all. See the recent NFL season where the Patriots were undefeated and had already beaten the Giants in the regular season. That didn't matter when they met again in the Super Bowl. No one is saying they are 1-1 and they should share anything. One game was regular-season and one game was post-season. The post-season game proves who the ultimate overall winner is, neither game necessarily proves which is the "better" team. Just the way I see it.
Old 12-05-11, 12:02 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Who is the rightful big10 champion? Mich state beat wisconsin on the field.
Is this your way of saying there shouldn't have been a running into the kicker penalty called on MSU at the end of that game?
Old 12-05-11, 12:03 PM   #18
bassboogieman

Billy (WTL) you're almost a lawyer, wouldn't LSU replaying Alabama constitute DOUBLE JEOPARDY?

Quote:
See the recent NFL season where the Patriots were undefeated and had already beaten the Giants in the regular season. That didn't matter when they met again in the Super Bowl.
That's also under a PLAYOFF format - something college football has not embraced yet.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 12:39 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I dont think osu should use the plane crash as an excuse. Did it affect them? Maybe. But whty has everybody outside the state of alabama already forgoten the tornado that left 1/3rd of tuscaloosa a parking lot and killed 40 people? That threw our longsnapper and his girl the length of a football field, killing her? Tragedies happen. We dont deserve a mullifan because of ours, and they dont deserve one either.
I didn't say Oklahoma State should use the crash as an excuse, hell in fact I think I said earlier that I am not making excuses for OSU. All I did was state facts. A very talented football team lost one game, it was to a weak football team and on the eve of a plane crash that killed members of their school. They still lost the game and it kept them from playing in the championship, and rightfully so.

Do you seriously have to ask me if everyone forgot about the tornado? I mean we had one here a few weeks after you guys had yours that was one of the worst in history, so I think it goes without saying that nobody forgot about it. Your players had quite a bit more healing time though before playing. However if they would have had a tough season and lost several games I am sure nobody would fault them or hesitate to lay the blame on the tornado.
Old 12-05-11, 02:04 PM   #20
WatterBoy

Quote:
. . .

That's also under a PLAYOFF format - something college football has not embraced yet.
Right, I acknowledged that in my post. My point was that it's REGULAR season vs. POST-season, regardless of how wacky the selection of the post-season teams is. That is why one is more meaningful than the other.

Last edited by WatterBoy; 12-05-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 03:43 PM   #21
WTL

Quote:
Billy (WTL) you're almost a lawyer, wouldn't LSU replaying Alabama constitute DOUBLE JEOPARDY?
If I were accused of trying to murder bamabassman in 2004, and acquitted in 2005, could I be charged with attempted murder for trying to kill him on another occasion in 2007? Yes, I could. So that is my semi serious attempt at playing along with whatever you just said. Not double jeopardy.

Kory, while I dont for a second think you forgot about the tornado, I have heard the plane crash excuse from enough okie state fans in the past few days to get pretty annoyed about it. Yes, some people have forgotten. Damn right. But not every comment I make here is directed solely at you, and forgive me if that wasnt clear the first time.

My point on the MSU-Wisconsin game is that MSU won the first game. But wisconsin won the 2nd, which was for the title, and are legit Big10 champs.

It doesnt make the regular season victory go away, but the second time around is for all the marbles.

I do think that if Bama wins the rematch, trash talk against LSU fans will be slightly muted because we will be 1-1 on the field, but the crystal trophy will still reside in tuscaloosa and rightfully so. I have always thought there are different classes of national title winners; those that are undefeated, those that have 1 loss, and those that have 2. The undefeated national champs are superior to all those with losses, but the national champs with losses are still the best for their respective year. That is what Bama is playing for. We can still earn that. All we have to do is prove that we are better than LSU on the field. If we back into a win, perhaps morally yall can dispute it. But I see this second game as an extended overtime, decreed by popular demand.
Old 12-05-11, 06:09 PM   #22
bcklash

We ordered our tickets to the NC game. A real one with playoffs and nobody backs into it. The Div. III championship game--The Stagg bowl in Salem Va. The semi-finals are this Sat. and the NC game Fri. the 16th. where a real Champion will be crowned. This has never happened in Div. I, always been a paper champion.

The BCS sucks. The Va Tech Hokies are going to thee Sugar Bowl and do they deserve a BCS bowl--NO-- why are they going, because their loyal fans will follow and blow into New Orleans like no other. In another words MONEY and this sucks. Yes Tech like Bama backed into their bowl games.

Now all I can say is go Hokies and Roll Tide. Hope both games are good ones.
Old 12-05-11, 06:15 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
If

Kory, while I dont for a second think you forgot about the tornado, I have heard the plane crash excuse from enough okie state fans in the past few days to get pretty annoyed about it. Yes, some people have forgotten. Damn right. But not every comment I make here is directed solely at you, and forgive me if that wasnt clear the first time.
Fair enough. But since you were saying how your tired of hearing about the plane crash and I was the only one who commented about the crash I think I am safe in assuming you were talking about me. It doesn't matter either way, if you weren't directing it at me.....fine and if you were......that is fine as well.

You can look at the game any way you choose to. But I don't think I will look at it as an extended overtime. There was already an overtime that ended with an LSU score. I would say this is Alabamas chance to even their record on the season with LSU and steal a championship. And before the Alabama faithful jump on me for saying "steal a championship" I didn't mean it disrespectfully. I just mean they have a chance to win the championship by beating a team that most people are expecting to kill Alabama this time around.
Old 12-05-11, 06:36 PM   #24
bamabassman

fellas...i am SO glad ya'll are keeping this CIVIL. i am jsut gonna read this.

MY opion.........well there NEEDS to be a different system.....maybe a PLUS 1? i FULLY understand the reasoning of the 'bama already lost and didn't win their conference so they shouyld be out it all together" thought. i too would feel that way if it was LSU who was in bama's postion. if roles were reversed, i wouldn't want a rematch. BUT........as i said earlier, this is thesystem being used like all systems before it. all the wya back to the begining.

and billy, i TRULY understand the positon of NO playoff system. it DOES take away from the "go undefeated" syndrome and mindset of div 1 college football. BUT..........lol.

maybe if the powers in charge would come up witha system that would eleminate these problems will SOMEDAY fix and not cause ANY debate whatsoever in out there....somewhere.......(joking)over the rainbow? hahaha!!
Old 12-05-11, 06:39 PM   #25
bamabassman

one more thing.........YES there are WAAAAYYYYYY TOO MANY BOWL GAMES. AND IT IS DRIVEN FOR THE GREED OF MONEY. and i honestly dont think the money brought in really helps the schools that much. but that is another thread someone else can start. hahaha!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.