Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-08, 01:23 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Interesting tidbit on lines

Something I never knew. Last week on a drive to Ft. Worth I was listening to a Bassfeed podcast and they had one of the reps for Vicious lines on interviewing him. Turns out while we are concerned with pound test, they base all their line ratings on line diameter. Where we see 12 lb test they see .013 diameter. Thought that was interesting.
Old 02-24-08, 01:43 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Thanks, Reb!

When I buy lines, I like to look for the lowest diameter pound-test that I'm searching for, especially when it comes to fluorocarbon. I really like Maxima 100% Fluoro. It really has some good diameter-to-test rating.

-Lunk-
Old 02-24-08, 01:55 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i didn't know that reb.

L.L. have you thrown that maxima flouro yet? i really like maxima mono, but as much memory as it has i would have been scared of the flouro.
Old 02-24-08, 02:16 PM   #4
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Thanks, Reb!

When I buy lines, I like to look for the lowest diameter pound-test that I'm searching for, especially when it comes to fluorocarbon. I really like Maxima 100% Fluoro. It really has some good diameter-to-test rating.

-Lunk-
For what its worth, you most likely wrong because most brand lines are way over the strength from lb test listed on the lables.If you go diameter to diameter and forget the stupid lb test lables you will get a more accurate analysis on which line is actually better.
Old 02-24-08, 03:10 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i didn't know that reb.

L.L. have you thrown that maxima flouro yet? i really like maxima mono, but as much memory as it has i would have been scared of the flouro.
No, I havent' tried the fluoro. yet, but I hope to! I've heard good things. Just might have to relax it a few times with the KVD L&L...

-Lunk-
Old 02-24-08, 03:39 PM   #6
Cranebird

If you go by line diameter the fluorocarbon will scare the bejeepers out of you for they are high priced and very weak line per diameter reading, in saying that I still think it has to be another reason that I am not aware of for the purpose of it being made other than feeding the baitmonkey and lying to the people who purchase fluorocarbon line.Interesting to read the line test reports where the people who test the line frequently note that fluorocarbon doesn't have that much of a better line invisability above regular mono or copolymer lines and yet we are led to believe that it has through advertisement, who do you think is lying ? The people testing it for no personal gain or the companies advertising trying to sell thier product for pure financial gain ? Are our wallets being raped for our dedication and love for the sport of bass fishing ?
Old 02-24-08, 04:47 PM   #7
lunker-lander

I buy it for feel. And please, I don't want a mental picture of my wallet being raped!

-Lunk-
Old 02-24-08, 06:05 PM   #8
bassnman30

Cranebird,
I tend to disagree with you ref. the strength of flouro. being weak. Just yest. I hooked and landed a 4 lb bass with a spinning rod while using Seagure flouro. It was using 8 lb test and yes it was fraid. The fish ran under the boat 3 times.
Old 02-25-08, 03:57 AM   #9
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
Cranebird,I tend to disagree with you ref. the strength of flouro. being weak. Just yest. I hooked and landed a 4 lb bass with a spinning rod while using Seagure flouro. It was using 8 lb test and yes it was fraid. The fish ran under the boat 3 times.
*Well you probably are correct but again if you were reading by line diameter you might be so impressed.The labled 8 lb fluorocarbon is a hell of alot bigger in diameter than other 8 lb test labled lines which are alot stronger than the actual labling strength, it most likely started when the line wars advertisement , they lied when labling thier product to claim they have stronger line than the otther brands.This would lead me to believe that you 8 lb fluorocarbon labled line is more like very weak 12 lb category line diameter wise but labled as 8 lb test. It's right on par with ironsilk line except ironsilk has really good user friendly qualities but is weak as hell.It seems to break with giving moment not giving any tell tale signs it needing to be retied, much like fluorocarbon will if you don't retie often and be extremely careful when cinching the knot down slowly and soak it in spit as you cinch it tight to eliminate* friction.I believe the record test lines are the only lines rated for the actual lb test, in saying that most people think that line sucks compared to other marketed lines labled at the same lb test and rightfully so. Am I making any sense ?

Last edited by Cranebird; 02-25-08 at 04:07 AM.
Cranebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.