Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-08, 08:32 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Thoughts on The Classic?

Just curious what ya'll think about this Classic? Any opinions either way?

Thanks- P2
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:04 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's pretty darn interresting. I got to see day two coverage on tv today and am really struck by the low water levels due to the drought. I found it also interresting at the number of guys who choose to lift their catch from the water by slipping a hand under the belly or grabing the bass behind the head. It seems to me that would increase the likelyhood of a bass escaping at the last second. I expected all the bass I saw caught to be lip landed. By the way pignjig, did you take a slap from a Zara Spook in your right eye or what??? LOL
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:07 PM   #3
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really enjoyed the classic this year. I watched the live final weigh in via the internet, and it was a very interesting one. Alot of suspense towards the end. I was suprised at the low water levels, and the fact that some people caught them shallow cranking. An all around good tournament.

Ryan
Old 02-24-08, 09:20 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i belive it is the winter draw down for hartwell right now.. they normally yank it don't this time of year.. around march they start to fill most of these lakes round here up..

zooker
Old 02-24-08, 09:24 PM   #5
pignjig

Ha! K-Dog. No Spook! That's a pic of Michael Palin from one of my favorite movies, "A Fish Called Wanda". I'm still strugglin' to find an avatar worthy of this site. Now, rrw4258 has the avatar that's easy on the eyes.... I believe this Classic was a real test of who's got it and who didn't show up. That's not to say I'd have finished in the money or anything close- who's kiddin' who? It just seems that sometimes the conditions are calm and stable for the Classic and folks like us don't get to see what the pros do when it's rough fishing. Year before last wasn't any picnic, either. I don't want to see those guys suffer (and a huge weigh in is always best), but it's real interesting to know what the pros do to overcome tough conditions. It would have been a help for a few tournaments I was in last year.

Thanks for ya'll's input- Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 10:04 PM   #6
Jigger

I enjoyed it and watched the weigh-ins on the net. I was pleased that Alton Jones won it. I like him and he won it on my favorite bait, a jig. I thought it was interesting how some of the guys were catching them deep and some of them were catching them shallow. The variety of techniques used was interesting too.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 12:49 AM   #7
Bender

I think it was good that the guys got to use their own boats, I think that it evens things up a bit. I mean I would be lost fishing in a different boat.
But, again the coverage times sucked. I was fortunate enough to watch the weigh-in live on the net, but last night we had a get together at our local conference room "H"* at 6 and the coverage didn't come on until 10. Why can't they show cameras from each boat on the net and then show the weigh-ins live?

*Hooters
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 06:35 AM   #8
Cranebird

What pisses me off is to see the idiot on stage holding the better fish of the catch up waving them obout for the audience for what seemed like eternity. Your a damned fool to think that the big fish made it through all of that to be released back unharmed. Jeepers cats I am starting to sound like a friggen PETA member.I just wish they would change that part of it but they aren't going to . Ivan
Old 02-25-08, 07:27 AM   #9
barkelypup

If my memory isn't failing me I am pretty sure they said it was down due to drought. I watched all 3 days on the net and what amazes me it that only 1 angler, Kelley Jordan I think blanked. Now I consider myslef average "LUCK" fisherman and there are times I go out and burn them up and days I can't buy a hit. These guys seem to stroke em all the time. Cold, Hot, BlueBird Skies, Mud, Clear, Deep or Shallow they can just put fish in the boat. I guess thats why they call them BassMASTERS. Somthing else that amazes me is the route some of these guys took to get here. Sleeping in a van for 2 years, quitting thier jobs and just about starving to death to fish for a living. I had a guy tell me once down at KY lake who tried to make it in some of the lower BASS and FLW and he said fishing for a living will make an old man out of you fast. Hats go off to Alton Jones.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:57 AM   #10
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

First of all I would like to say that I couldn't think of better person to win the Classic than Alton Jones. The first time I met Alton was in 1992 at a "Fishing Texas Lakes" Seminar. He was a guest speaker as a guide on Richland Chambers Reservoir. We visited for the better part of an hour after the seminar. I told my wife that I met one of the most sincere and nicest people you would ever want to talk to that night. Little did I know that he would go on to achieve the success he now has!

Now the most impressive thing I saw in the Classic is ability of these guys to put together consistent patterns on a low lake with 49 degree temps in some brutal weather conditions. Those guys are at the top of class when it comes to Bass Fishing. This tournament, imho, really demonstrated why they are!
Old 02-25-08, 10:35 AM   #11
senko Joe
BassFishin.Com Member

Really enjoyed the Classic. Was happy to see Alton Jones win, I really think he deservsd it.
senko Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:50 AM   #12
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

His day was long overdue. I met him when I worked for Academy and he came in to chat with our manager. He would come over and ask how the club was doing and how I been doing in school. Great guy.
Old 02-25-08, 11:42 AM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

I really struggle to understand why they have it so early in the year.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.