Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-11, 12:52 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Sonar Placement for Tiller Boat

I've been seeking advice on where to mount the unit/s and if I should get one large one or two medium sized ones. I have a tiller 16' boat and I don't know if it's more crucial to have a better view in the back while I'm driving the motor or if I should have the better view in the front where I'm
on the trolling motor. - OR if I should have a large unit in the middle on a RAM mount to see from back AND front - I don't think this would work too well.

After doing some research on this topic, it seems that since I generally fish small lakes a few thousand acres or less, I already know them fairly well and it would be best to just have it in the front. I would have an extra ram mount in the back for when I'm learning a new lake and want to drive around while observing the unit. Or say I was prefishing a lake for a tournament and wanted to learn it. I would switch from back to front throughout the day, but come tournament day, I'd just keep it in the front to save time. What are your thoughts on this?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:54 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If I could only have one Finder in the boat, it'd be up front where I could watch it while I'm on the TM.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:57 AM   #3
bassboogieman

On a 16' boat, I think one medium to large unit would be the easiest and most economical. Mount it on a RAM mount rearward of the middle of the boat so it's reachable from the seat while using the outboard. Personally I find I change screens more often from the helm than when I'm on the trolling motor. You could turn the unit to face forward and still reach it rather easily, while standing up, than from the other way around. The other option would be to install another RAM base a bit farther forward and move the unit forward when you do. It's pretty simple to disconnect the RAM, just leave extra cable (wrapped in a split sleeve cable loom), to move it a couple feet forward.
If you have a fairly large budget - then 2 units certainly The consideration to keep in mind - the smaller 5" screen units are not that easy to read if you start splitting the screens for multiple views, and somewhat a PITA to keep swithing views on the smaller units. If you go with one unit - choose an 8" or 9" screen at a minimum. Two units, one should be the mid-size (especially if you're considering side scan) and a smaller companion unit would work.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 12:36 PM   #4
MIbasser

If you went with an HDS 8 or 10, I would mount it up font by the trolling motor. I can see my partners 10 on the front of his 21' Triton just fine when I'm in the back..... It's like watching a big screen TV....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.