Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-12, 07:13 AM   #1
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fishing on Brrrrrrr Lake

My son Alan, and I were really hyped up after getting another invitation to join a friend, John, on the infamous beaver fart lake Sunday. However I must admit that enthusiasm diminished a bit when my son and I realized that the previously pleasant weather forecast for Sunday was now calling for bone-chilling temps and rain increasing into the day. However, I managed to fake my excitement even as the drizzle started coming down while hitching up the boat in the morning.

Despite my growing doubts for the day's success, we were again welcomed by a huge beaver fart upon reaching first shoreline we were going to fish. It's beginning to look like beaver farts = catching bass, because it wasn't long before we hooked into the first one, and then another! It looked like a repeat of our previous success despite the observed 40-degree water temps being over 10-15 degrees cooler than the previous two weeks.

We caught a few more as the light rain came and went, and then another friend showed up with an offer for one of us to join him on his boat to give us some more room. John wanted to get rid of both my son and I, but we eventually agreed to avoid any embarrassment of being out-fished by Alan, so we booted the punk off to fish on the other boat.

Ditching Alan must have helped a bit, because I was able to then catch a chunker of equal weight to Alan's...

We caught some more over the next couple of hours before we all got too cold and wet (Of course, we blamed the kid and lied about wishing we could stay out a fish for awhile longer). In truth, the weather was miserable, but the fish were biting and that helped to warm things up a bit - I had rain gear to go over my shorts, but they were infused with beaver fart odor and really it was just my wet hands that were uncomfortably cold and wet.

Between the three of us, we ended up boating 15 largemouth, and also lost some nice fish. The most successful lure/technique was slow-dragging rubber-skirted jigs with plastic jig trailers. Spinnerbaits drew some bites and were successful in boating a couple. Incredibly, many of these fish were still in 1ft or less of water in these cold temps - Crazy, but early fun bass fishing success this year!
Old 04-03-12, 07:23 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is a perfect example of someone being served lemons and then finding a way to turn it into lemonaide.

Way to go, Paul!

Very nice fish

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 02:16 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on taking care of the only real variable you could....having fun!
Why do I feel Alans recollection of the days events may sound just a little different?
Thanks for the share.
Cold day well spent.
Old 04-04-12, 07:05 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Brrrrr is right, but those brrrr days are often great days to be on the water. Glad you went out and had success. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go out this comming saturday morning. The colder weather has started to return here, especially on weekends. It's supposed to be in the mid 30's again saturday morning. Thats 3 weeks in a row when weather durring the work week was around 70.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.