Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-12, 12:07 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Heck of an afternoon yesterday...

And a little disappointed. After running around to the two local tackle shops I know of in the area and piecing together some food for the monkey (shaky head jigs and worms, couple spinners and to replenish some terminal tackle stores). I ran back to the house, cleaned out my tackle bag and somewhat organized it; I loaded up my gear and was out the door by 1 pm. It wasn't to hot and what I'd consider almost perfect temp wise (low to mid 70's and sunny skies).

I get to my local and first thing I notice is the lake is down....WAY down . Not one of the docks or the boat ramp has any water even remotely near it. All of the toolies are completely of the water and a good portion of the lilies are dead. The lake is now at a point at where you can almost walk completely around it and access water (first time ever seeing this too).

So I have a jig tied on (after seeing multiple wakes in what lilies are still in the water) I figured that would work, tied on a spinner on another rod and kept my DS rigged up for the time. I start flipping lilies and nothing. Picked up the spinnerbait and worked it for a good while, varying the retrieve and nothing. So I grab my DS rig (which I never really drop shot with unless on a boat, I always use it in a pendulum retrieve manner from shore and has produced quite well. NOTHING!

So I tie on a frog, a new R2S crank and a shaky head. Start working my frog in the depths of the lilies where I was seeing wakes...nothing. Start throwing my crank...4th cast hung up and lure lost! Grab my shaky head and work it for a long while and caught me a small one. Tie on another new crank...cast 5 or 6, hung up and another brand new crank LOST

After 4 hours, 1 fish and 2 brand new crank baits lost I packed it up and headed home.

The only thing I can think of is the bass are hanging out in the middle of the lake where there is still some depth and no way to access them unless one had a kayak.

I was pi$$ed when I lost those freakin' cranks!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 01:20 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Shane that stinks!
I can say, "At least the weather was nice!", "At least you got one!","At least you had....", awe heck it STINKS, whom I trying to kid?

Think about maybe wading out. Maybe can reach the deep stuff with a long cast.
Plus standing in water really cools things down for ya.

Shane hope your next outing goes better!
Old 10-06-12, 02:07 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When I read your title, I thought it was going to be a good heck, but man, thats a BAD heck! I'm wondering if the wakes you saw in the lillies might have been carp? Anyways, two lost cranks to boot. UGH! Better luck next time pal.
Old 10-06-12, 03:05 PM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks fellas and as they say, "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!" Still doesn't help control the emotions when things go south...LOL!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.