Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-06, 11:26 PM   #1
I<3LrgMouthsOnMyPole
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to I<3LrgMouthsOnMyPole
Default creek fishing?

there is a creek by my house the water level is pretty high and its moving pretty fast right now so most bait will just go along with the current. i have caught a few bass in it but i havent tried to hard to fish in there. its pretty muddy and weedy there are spots with hanging trees, tall lily pads the stand up out of water, and 3 mini island like patches. what do you all think i should use here that wont get taken with the current. i was thinking heavy jigs, trigs, or crigs. ill take some pictures of it the next time i go there.
I<3LrgMouthsOnMyPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 11:39 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Pics would be great, but if you have the name or location of the creek I can take a look at satellite images and maybe get an idea of what we are talking about.

I use senko type baits most of the time when i'm creek fishing and I fish them in the current. So what if the current is pushing the bait downstream, as you said bass are used to it cause they see it all the time with the baitfish.
Old 08-04-06, 12:27 AM   #3
I<3LrgMouthsOnMyPole
BassFishin.Com Member

its called turkey creek located in merrillville, indiana ive only seen the parts of it in turkey creek golf course
Old 08-04-06, 12:50 AM   #4
WTL

Sometimes you can find things online, sometimes you can't....

Here is the USGS water data page for indiana. I can't find turkey creek so its probably too small for them to set a gauge up, but other rivers and creeks in that area are kinda high as denoted by the blue marks.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/in/nwis/rt

Now here is the link for MSN Terraserver, which has a good satellite image of the creek that you can zoom in and out of for future reference. Technology these days is incredible....I can see some golf carts...
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...10&Y=45943&W=3

It looks sorta muddy, in which case you might try a spinnerbait with some good balance (one that rides true and upright, some will keel over in heavy current like that of a creek)...or as I said white senkos and grubs. Also the pink floating worm is a big time creek lure around laydowns and near mudbanks.
Old 08-04-06, 01:46 AM   #5
I<3LrgMouthsOnMyPole
BassFishin.Com Member

thats so freakin wierd man thats the exact spot im talking about....if u look really had u might see me fishing right there....
Old 08-04-06, 08:35 AM   #6
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lol, it look like it get pretty wide there in one part, thats where I would fish.
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 08:44 AM   #7
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Use crankbaits! When I go river or stream fishing I like to use cranks and I cast them across the river...or creek in your case....many people think you have got to fish the current and throw you bait so it comes down with the current into the fishes mouth....this can work but I find if you throw a crankbait across the fish...you are pulling the bait right by the fishes mouth so fast that they don't see it coming and they hit it out of pure instinct....say I throw a ball at your head or make a sudden movement like a fake punch toward your face...you are going to flinch or react by hitting me..lol. It's the same with the bass they have got to react....sometimes you can bump them which can also draw a big strike...

I like to also use buzzbaits on creeks...they are really good at getting the bigger fish....
for the technique of current fishing its hard to beat a jig....find the right weight so you can drift it with the current back to you....use a very sensitive rod cause the bites are going to be really light with you drifting the bait towards the fish!.
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 12:09 PM   #8
WTL

I would concentrate actually where it gets narrow at the bridge(s). That creates a current break and normally a hole with very often wood cover wedged up in the as well.
Old 08-04-06, 02:25 PM   #9
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Crawfish and hellgramites are key baits to fish in streams and small rivers. I've been using Yamamoto hula grubs for years fishing the upper Potomac, Shenandoah, Rappahannock, and Rapidan rivers. The 4" baits work really well on 1/8 oz jig heads.
Small grubs, 4" worms, and creature baits do the trick too. Small poppers, flukes or senko's worked on the surface produce fantastic topwater strikes. I don't use a lot of crankbaits while wading due to the hooks and not being able to carry a tackle box but I have caught some good fish on them.

BK22 - you live in an area that has tremendous smallmouth fishing in the small creeks in your county. You should get out this summer when the creek levels drop and fish the pools. Watch out for those VA Silver Trout!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.