Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-09, 11:38 AM   #1
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pistol Grip Rods - Who uses one?

Has the old grip gone away or is it still alive and well?
Who has never used one?
Who has used one and did like it?
Who has used one and didn't like it?
Old 10-31-09, 12:12 PM   #2
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I used them many years ago and left them for the longer handle trigger sticks for all of my fishing. The last pistol grip to go was the 6' MH I used for fishing Zara spooks. It did work, but I like the extra leverage I get with a long handle 7' M rod with a fast tip for both casting long distances and controlling the fish after hooking it.
Old 10-31-09, 02:50 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I still have a couple of pistol grips, my go to rods when I need a pin point dead accurate cast, however, the short handle sucks for hooksetting and sucks while fighting a fish.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 03:54 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Used them for years I still have a few.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 02:37 AM   #5
bcklash

Pistol grip rod is how I taught myself to cast a baitcaster. I know it don't right but it worked for me.
Old 11-03-09, 02:56 AM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My father still uses them exclusively, and I learned on them. They are getting to be an abandoned style, although as a very specified niche rod I think they will continue to hold on and be marketed by a handful of companies. If I have to get a topwater plug around brush from medium distances in, there is nothing better in the world than a properly matched up pistol grip - you just flick the lure in there. Hook setting and fighting a fish isn't so bad if you don't compare it to the easier two hand rods. The key, what you almost can't do without, is matching reel to rod to line to lure. When the setup is all going, they are great. Probably why the old man still uses them, he has his old silver garcias and his topwater plugs and he knows he's gonna be throwing it 9 days out of 10, so its in a perpetual state of readiness.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 03:00 AM   #7
66KingFisher

Thats use to be all I had was pistol grip rods....but that was back in the day....Now, like most of the others, I like the extra leverage of the longer handles when setting the hook and fightin the fish....the pistol grip is rough on your wrist when fighting a strong fish....but for casting accuracy I think a pistol grip rod is hard to beat.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 11:19 AM   #8
Culln5

I do not use them today. All of my rods have a rib busting long shank for big hooksets.... LOL.... Many moons ago when I was first learning to use a bait caster I found it easier to learn with the pistol grip. But now, I wouldn't even consider one.
Old 11-03-09, 01:36 PM   #9
3dkicker

I use them to sling small spinnerbaits under docks and in real tight spots. A buddy of mine uses them for topwater, Rico's and small plastic frogs specifically, and does well with them. I've never had a problem with losing fish on them.
Old 11-09-09, 07:13 PM   #10
TnTom

Makes the fish feel bigger which is always fun. Sort of adds to those voices in my head that told me to go fishing anyway.
Old 11-09-09, 10:01 PM   #11
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When I got my crankbait reel, it was on a pistol grip. I think it was a 5'6" rod too. I liked it! I could cast very accurately, and I liked the roll casts that I get with these, much easier to cast like that with pistol grips! However I don't like it when I fish a fish. I have a hard time getting enough leverage, I missed A nice fish 'cause of this too! I say, just get a rod with a smaller grip, you'll basically get the same advantages with them, - some of the disadvantages!
Old 11-29-09, 11:48 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Buirm View Post
Im ready to buy a gallery. I need something that offers a password protected private gallery and Id prefer to use my own lab. Who do you use and why do you like them?
Did you take that wrong turn at Albuquerque, D?
I used to use them and learned to throw with them. As far as being alive and well, I would say their time has faded. Other than the ole' timers, no offense, I haven't seen one on the deck of a boat in a long time. I don't use them anymore. I do have a couple of short handled Berkley Lightning rods I use from time to time though.
Old 12-13-09, 10:22 PM   #13
Backwater Charlie

I have one for panfish but my dad has 2. They both have Zebco 33's on them, one original from the 50's and one Rhino from the 60's or 70's. He uses 'em for carp and catfish but he's fished for bass with them too. My pistol gripped rod is paired with a Zebco 11, so it just gets used for crappie and bluegill.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.