Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-09, 12:03 AM   #1
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Newbie with a new rig looking for line

Howdy folks, I’m new to the forum and pretty new to fishing too. I’ve been a backcountry canoe freak for years and years but only on the rarest occasions did I ever bother to fish. Probably haven’t had a rod in my hand for 15 years and then only for an hour or two. That is until recently. Me and the missus are planning a trip up to Quetico Provincial Park (northwestern Ontario, just north of Boundary Waters MN) next summer for 3 weeks or so of back-in-the-bush wilderness canoe tripping. And she says to me, “Why aren’t we catchin fish and eatin em fresh?” And I thought, “Because I don’t want to be draggin 20 lbs of fishing gear over mile long portages 3 times a day.” But the idea really got into my head. No kiddin, I started dreaming of catching bass. So I started reading and researching and planning. I mean Quetico is some of the best northern smallie fishing in the world and the only way to get to it is by canoe and I already know how to do that. I’m not really interested in going after lunkers, I’m really after eatin fish, bass around 1-2 lbs and maybe the odd walleye just ‘cause they taste so good.

So I’ve started getting gear together. The first thing I got was a rod. A guy I met online tuned me into a fantastic deal on an Albright 4 piece Explorer pack rod, (6’6”,M, 4.5 oz.) Though I’m sure it isn’t really worth what it’s listed at - $300 – at $79, I couldn’t resist. It seems like a real pretty rod and I can’t wait to start practicing flippin off the deck in our back yard. Then I started looking around for a reel to match and got a good deal on a Shimano Saros 2500 which should be arriving any day. So what about line? There’s a lot to choose from, I’m guessing I want like 4 -10 lb test. Anybody recommend a good choice? Plus would it be worthwhile putting a different line on the spare spool or just back up what I’ve got on the first. I’ve got about a million questions about tackle and assorted gear. I know the way I’m fishing that I have to be pretty selective since I’ll be in the bush for 3 weeks or so and can’t afford to be dragging a ton of gear around. I was pretty set on going just with worms but I’ve since read that north country bass don’t seem to go for worms the way they do south of the Mason Dixon for some reason. But one thing at a time. Any suggestions for what kind of line I should be using?

Many thanks folks. I know there is no such thing as a dumb question but I’m sure I’m going to be testing that truism so have patience.
Dr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 12:22 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Hey brother, the dumb question, is the one some one doesn't ask or something like that. Myself, I am a fan of Berkley XL lines on my spinning reel. But I am sure you will get some Stren fans and so on down the line. I know a lot of guys are going with fluorocarbon lines, but I am not much of a fan of it on my spinning reels. I just don't get any distance out of the stuff. I am assuming the water you will be fishing will be clear as a bell. But I would go with mono for casting ease since you are just starting back out in the scene. You could always spool up with some braid and end out with a fluoro leader on a spare spool too though for ease of mind on breaking off fish. You could buy a few different kinds over the course of the next few months before the trip and try them out in the back yard. Put a little water on the line while casting around in the yard, because it doesn't stay dry on the lake.
Old 11-27-09, 08:49 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum Dr. G! You'll be catchin' bass in no time!

About the line, I would probably go with 12lb test. Most people use 6-10lb test (8lb probably being the must common) on spinning gear. But most avid fishermen that use spinning reel when bass fishing, use it as finesse combo; light line, and lighter baits are use. But since you're using this for everything, I think that 12lb test mono would suit you well! As far as brand, defiantly get sufix elite, it's very abrasive resistant, and has very low memory.

And yes, you should definitely carry a spare spool! Try putting 12lb fluorocarbon on one when you're fishing jigs, and worms. Reason being is mono is not very sensitive! If you're using mono with jigs and worms, than you're not going to be able to feel HALF the bites you would be able to feel flouro. And plus! Flouro is near inviable! Most popular brands are seager invizex. It's very low memory flouro, and should suit you well as a first flouro!

Hope this helps, and be sure to check out this video before you spool up!

http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips...spinning-reel/
Old 11-27-09, 09:45 AM   #4
bamabassman

Bobba is dead on pal. no such thing as a dumb question......only a smartazz answer. I like what he AND boss wrote. Test out different lines till you find one that you are comfortable with. To me that is the only way to truly be sure. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-27-09, 10:17 AM   #5
TN_Bassin

Personally I do not spend as much as I probably should on line, but some tough line that will not cost you 30$ a spool of 300yds would be trilene big game. It is only 15$ a spool for 1200yds of 8lb. Like bama said you should try several types of line and decide which you are most comfortable with. Line is the only thing between you and the fish so make sure it is tough.
Old 11-27-09, 02:17 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Personally I do not spend as much as I probably should on line, but some tough line that will not cost you 30$ a spool of 300yds would be trilene big game. It is only 15$ a spool for 1200yds of 8lb. Like bama said you should try several types of line and decide which you are most comfortable with. Line is the only thing between you and the fish so make sure it is tough.
I disagree, I hate big game! It's on my crankbait reel, and it's to stretchy. I can't feel the crankbait wobbling it's so stretchy! Ande is really good, it's pretty low stretch, and it's a good price! Same with XL and XT.
Old 11-27-09, 06:07 PM   #7
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks folks, this is really helpful info and very welcoming. Bubba suggested that I check out older threads because, of course, opiniond as to which line to use, when must be pretty hotly debated. So I'll check those out. I'm looking forward to participating on these forums, it's a great resource and seems like a real nice community.
Old 11-27-09, 07:25 PM   #8
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I disagree, I hate big game! It's on my crankbait reel, and it's to stretchy. I can't feel the crankbait wobbling it's so stretchy! Ande is really good, it's pretty low stretch, and it's a good price! Same with XL and XT.

You must be using 50lb mono on your crankbait rod then, but then again to each person his own.
Old 11-28-09, 02:48 AM   #9
Rebbasser

Dr. G, first off, welcome to the forum! I have tried many, many lines over the years and on the suggestion of a good buddy tried P-Line Floroclear. It is mono line with a fluorocarbon coating. It is by far the softest, easiest handling line I have ever used. If I had to pick one that would be it.

Try some different lines. As you can see, everyone has their favorite. Try a few and find which one works for you.

That canoe trip sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 11-28-09, 08:55 AM   #10
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bass Pro Shops house brand line, (Excel) works well for me. A tough mono, even at the 6 lb test level. Nine dollars US for 1500 yards.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 09:28 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For what you're doing with it, I'd go with 8lb Sufix Elite. It's not expensive, but it performs very well.

As long as you don't horse in the bass or walleyes, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking off much, even with 8lb test, unless you hook into a pike. the tactics you're going to be employing for northern smallie and maybe a walleye or two don't need anything over 8lb test. If you want, you can use ten, but I think anything over ten is too much, especially for a normal bass sized spinning reel.

BB
Old 11-30-09, 03:17 PM   #12
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Boy it's hard to get my head around choosing between fluorocarbon and mono. Would I be correct in assuming that if I'm fishing deeper then fluoro would be the better choice whereas if I'm fishing cover mono would be better?
Old 11-30-09, 10:45 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
Boy it's hard to get my head around choosing between fluorocarbon and mono. Would I be correct in assuming that if I'm fishing deeper then fluoro would be the better choice whereas if I'm fishing cover mono would be better?
That's a good general idea, Dr. G, but there are always a few good exceptions. Like, for instance if you're using deep crankbaits. In that case, the added expense of fluorocarbon wouldn't really provide you much benefit. It might get you a couple of inches deeper.

And while much of the durability of fluorocarbon has been shown to be little more than hype, some of them really are more resistant to scratches and nicks...so if you're fishing hard cover, instead of soft weeds, maybe fluorocarbon is still your top choice.

Still, as a beginner, I would stick with a decent mono until I got very comfortable with my gear. It's just a lot cheaper for when you inevitably mangle some (it happens ).

By the way, I have found a fairly inexpensive fluorocarbon that I like a lot. It is Vicious brand, and it has caught me several big bass in a very slow presentation (crawling a jig), where the bass had plenty of time to see it (but didn't!).
Old 11-30-09, 11:07 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nofear, I have to disagree with you about FC's abrasion resistance being mostly hype. While fluoro and mono perform fairly equally when dry (and who fished with dry line? lol) FC far surpases mono once it's wet and especilly after it has been wet a while.

I do agree that as a beginner, mono is the best choice. I also think mono if better for spinning reels. (although both can be a pain is not properly maintained).

DrG, If you do end up going with FC, I'd recommend Seaguar InvisX. It's by far the best I've used.

BB
Old 12-02-09, 11:21 PM   #15
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Is KVD line conditioner worth using even with mono? Do you apply it before, after or while the line is being wound onto the reel?
Old 12-03-09, 08:41 AM   #16
bamabassman

Dr g....KVD line conditioner is the BOMB man. Apply it as you put it on the reel AND spray it on the spool afterwards. Then i spray it on the spool before each use. Usually after i am back home. Then it is soaking in overnight. Spray a little when i hit the lake...good to go. I love this stuff. It really makes a difference for the line. Smoothe casts everytime. I might over use it, but so far it is working for me.
Old 12-04-09, 08:36 AM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Hey brother, the dumb question, is the one some one doesn't ask or something like that. Myself, I am a fan of Berkley XL lines on my spinning reel. But I am sure you will get some Stren fans and so on down the line. I know a lot of guys are going with fluorocarbon lines, but I am not much of a fan of it on my spinning reels. I just don't get any distance out of the stuff. I am assuming the water you will be fishing will be clear as a bell. But I would go with mono for casting ease since you are just starting back out in the scene. You could always spool up with some braid and end out with a fluoro leader on a spare spool too though for ease of mind on breaking off fish. You could buy a few different kinds over the course of the next few months before the trip and try them out in the back yard. Put a little water on the line while casting around in the yard, because it doesn't stay dry on the lake.

I'm with Bubba on the Berkley XL. I use XL Smooth Casting and really don't see that changing unless they stop making it.
As far as braid goes, I really like Sufix Elite
Old 12-04-09, 10:28 AM   #18
rodnreel

I second the P-Line brand. I've been using the Floroclear and and the CX Premium lines for about the past 2 years and love it. They are both copolymer lines, but the CX Premium seem to be a little less stiff than the Floroclear which is why I prefer it.
Old 12-04-09, 01:35 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Welcome,
I been using the Trilene XT in 8lb,10lb,14lb,and Suffix Siege in 17lb...I got no compliants with em.....Trilene XT in heavier weight seemed to kink alot....Thats why I switched to the Suffix,much better...But,I do plan on trying other brands just for $hits and giggles
Old 12-05-09, 12:06 AM   #20
g_rigor
BassFishin.Com Member

I have tried lots of different lines and my 2 favorites are Yozuri hybrid which is mono coated with flourocarbon, very tough and a large spool goes for around 13.00. I also like Suffix Seige, I think the Yozuri is more sensitive as far as feeling bites, but they are both good lines. If you use pure flourocarbon it tends to jump off of your spool on spinning reels. Since you're new to fishing, this could get frustrating. You can't go wrong with the Yozuri. Good luck.
g_rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 02:26 AM   #21
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Whew, every time somebody makes a suggestion and I check it out I think, "Yeah, that's the line for me." And then, you know, that was Monday, on Tuesday it's, "Wait a minute what about this stuff." Right now (and that will probably change) I'm thinking of trying Sufix Elite as a mono and PLine Premium CX as a poly/fluoro mix. Obviously I'll have to find out for myself what works for me but these seem to be two lines that have garnered a lot of respect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input - that's a lot of fishing years and experience talking.

Okay so here I go again. What's the difference between Sufix Seige and Sufix Elite?

Last edited by Dr G; 12-05-09 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 08:20 PM   #22
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
Whew, every time somebody makes a suggestion and I check it out I think, "Yeah, that's the line for me." And then, you know, that was Monday, on Tuesday it's, "Wait a minute what about this stuff." Right now (and that will probably change) I'm thinking of trying Sufix Elite as a mono and PLine Premium CX as a poly/fluoro mix. Obviously I'll have to find out for myself what works for me but these seem to be two lines that have garnered a lot of respect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input - that's a lot of fishing years and experience talking.

Okay so here I go again. What's the difference between Sufix Seige and Sufix Elite?

Dr. G, I just read the original post and I'm thinking, "What a lucky guy! He gets to go to Quetico, married to a woman who likes to rough it, catch fish fresh and eat shore lunches" What a life, I am envious!
You have been saturated with suggestions about line, many of them affordable so try a few of them. I don't know how often you will be fishing, but some of those lines (Suffix) don't last very long after they have been used a few times. If you are going infrequently and have only a couple of reels to deal with, buy new line each time you go and spool about 1/2 the spool with the new line (leaving the old line on as backing, you'll never have to worry about most of the fish you're after spooling your reel). Assuming you will be fishing Quetico after ice out there are a variety of baits that you should have with you and they could be collected into a fanny pack weighing less than a couple of pounds. I would look at the original Rapala Balsa jerkbaits in the silver and in the gold colors (with black backs), the #5 Rapala Shad raps in the same colors, 2/0, 3/0 Grub jig heads (ball headed jigs), 3" curl tail grubs in Watermelon, Pumpkin, Green Pumpkin, and Smoke, In-line spinners such as the Blue Fox and Rooster tail spinners in Chrome, Gold, White, yellow, colors. You can more complex with experience and start throwing soft jerkbaits, safety pin spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, Soft tube baits, drop shots, shakey heads, but for now, just keep it simple. Wht I first listed will catch smallies and put a meal on the fire.
Old 12-07-09, 01:22 AM   #23
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

"Dr. G, I just read the original post and I'm thinking, "What a lucky guy! He gets to go to Quetico, married to a woman who likes to rough it, catch fish fresh and eat shore lunches" What a life, I am envious!"

No kidding, Bob, not a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars for this relationship that I have been blessed with. Not only does she paddle and hump a portage like a courier de bois but, my god, she cooks, bakes and runs her own business. If I'm dreamin, don't wake me up!

As for the rest, thanks for the practical advice. I'm starting to really look at baits and how to fish them and what they can do. (I was lookin at some of those Lucky Craft lures and thinkin I'd be afraid to fish with them. They're so perfect, what if they got scratched! Naturally I've got to have one.) This fishin thing takes a lot more skill and experience than I ever gave it credit for. But I'm havin a ball gettin into it. This should keep me busy until the snow melts (seein as it hasn't even started fallin here yet.) This week my reel should arrive and I'll be winding some line and practicing knots.
Old 12-13-09, 10:18 PM   #24
Backwater Charlie

8lb Trilene XL Smooth Casting will do the trick.
Old 12-14-09, 06:37 PM   #25
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Another question then. I'm going to be using one set up for everything so on one spool I'll probably have 10 lb mono (say Suffix Elite) but then if I want to be able to work weeds, lily pads and other cover could I use a 12 lb hybrid (say P-Line Premium CX) given the smaller diameter of the hybrid line? Again, the line will be on a Shimano Saros 2500 the line capacity of which is 6-10 lb. So what I'm asking is whether the concern is the lb test or the diameter when winding line?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.