Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-08, 04:02 PM   #1
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New to fishing

I have bought all the tools, and even spent a summer on choke canyon, but have yet to learn very much about catching large mouth bass.
I fish alone, so that may be part of the problem.

Today I bought a bunch of lures on the final liquidation sale at Sportsman's warehouse. Many were $1 and others as high as $2.50
I had seen mentioned on this board that Zoom Trick-em floating worms in bubble gum were good in the spawn period, but they only had one pack left, and they were bright lime green! I bught them anyway, and wonder if they will work, rigged wacky.
Also bought 2 different brands and shaped things called "swim jigs" they looked like pig n jig, but had a plate welded on the front. How do you "swim" these jigs...that is work them. They look like they might bounce off snags, and that would be a help a choke canyon.

Thanks in advance for your comments
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 04:08 PM   #2
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well, i wouldnt hook a trick worm wacky style, but the lime green color works great. the swim jig youre talking about is like a chatterbait. you could work it like a jig or like a spinnerbait.
Old 01-31-08, 04:28 PM   #3
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

How should I rig a trick worm?
I should mention I bought only FLOATING worms .

Last edited by surfman; 01-31-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 04:52 PM   #4
basskicker

just like a normal worm. insert the point of the hook in the head, go in about an inch or so, slide the head to the top of the hook, insert the point into the worm so that it will be straight with maybe a little curve to give it more action.
Old 01-31-08, 04:57 PM   #5
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, BassKicker. I've already read the "Tips and Techniques" tread and seen how to fish it, and now with your help on how to rig it, I'm all set to go!
Old 01-31-08, 04:58 PM   #6
basskicker

glad i could help
Old 01-31-08, 06:52 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you might want to add a barrel swivel about 12 to 18 inches above your hook to help with line twist. and i do like to leave a little bend in the worm, it really gives it more action.
Old 02-01-08, 01:12 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, surfman!

If you spent a summer on Choke Canyon I'd bet you are in my neck of the woods.

Only one way to find out if something works: Try it. That lime green worm will work wacky or as a floating rig. The jigs you mention sound like a chatterbait. Just chunk and wind it around cover.

Choke is probably my favorite lake, I just don't get to fish it as often as I'd like.
Old 02-01-08, 08:15 AM   #9
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

I live on I-35, 35mi SW of San Antonio. I hope I get to fish with a real bass fisherman this year. Maybe I can learn a little.
I retired so I can fish, but I'm not very good at it.
I spend a lot of time trying though. I never learned to catch a fish on a plastic worm yet, but maybe this summer..I hope.
You may have seen me on the lakes, I stick out like a sore thumb in a 14ft 1956 alumicraft I've had for 40 years, but after I fell out of it at Masons Point one day,and couldn't get back in the boat, my wife made me get an 18ft Kenner. Probably not the best choice for bass, but safer on rough water days. I haven't got a trolling motor on it yet, and am chasing down navagational light electrical problems. but hope to have it fininshed by mid Feb..
Nice to have found a source of information to give me advice.
Thanks for all your kind help.
Old 02-01-08, 02:56 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

glad to have you here surfman.
Old 02-01-08, 09:26 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Surfman, one of my favorite baits is a soft plastic stickbait. They are sold under a number of names-Senko, Tiki Stick, or Yum Dinger. They work on Choke, for sure. I fish them either weedless and weightless or wacky. The rigging pictures show what they look like. I've probably caught more fish on those in the last few years than all others combined.

Colors-can you say rainbow? No need to buy every color-like I did. I throw watermelon, watermelon/pearl laminate-green on top and white on the bottom, smoke purple-the Yum Dinger is Ozark Smoke-and 2 colors of Tiki Sticks: Baby bass/pearl swirl and watermelon chartreuse swirl.

I fish them on a 3/0 Extra Wide Gap hook when fishing them weedless and weightless and a Gamakatsu EWG finesse hook when wacky. Just cast them out and let them sink. You don't always feel the hit-sometimes it just feels heavy, or your line moves off. These are great fish catchers!
Old 02-02-08, 10:50 AM   #12
keithdog

Surfman, the swim jigs your talking about are an excellent cold water bait. It gives you good action at slow speeds. When the water is really cold, I've had great luck with them. I want to caution you though. While they look like they will bounce off snags, that is not the case. I found out the hard way, loosing 3 - 4 of those baits on any brush it came in contact with. They do make these baits with fiber weed gaurds though which should eliminate that problem.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.