Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-10, 01:50 PM   #1
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Not a good day fighing!

Well it wasn’t a god day fishing for me and it was the first time I have ever been scared at night.

I was fishing on the low side of Guntersville Damn and when I got there I backed the boat into the water and my tail lights shorted out on the trailer and one side of my truck. Last time this happened it cost me $1800 to fix. I parked the truck and got in the boat and started fishing but the bites were a little slow. Who cares right I am on the water.

It has now gotten dark so I turn on my lights and decide I was to change locations. I go to turn the head lights on and they would not come on at all. Not to worry I have been on this lake so many times I know where I am going. So I am easing down the river and almost hit a log in the water. Lucky I didn’t hit it but if I did it could have been bad.

Now I am where I want to fish and I start fishing. I have the back light on and all is good until I hear something snarling at me and making all kinds of noise. I couldn’t see what it was but it sounded LARGE and in charge. I got on the trolling motor and moved on down a little to get away from it but it moved right with me. Here is where I got scared. It jumped in the water and rocked the boat it made such large waves I just about fell out of the boat. I jerked up the trolling motor and hit the big engine and took off as fast as I could go. I don’t know what it was and don’t know if I want to know but that is the first time I have ever been scared fishing at night.

The worst part of the whole trip. I didn’t catch anything! LOL
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 01:59 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yet another reason to pack heat LOL.

Man, I can't say I've ever been attacked by a cougar (while fishing at least ). What the heck else could it have been? Bobcat? Rabid housecat?
Old 06-22-10, 02:10 PM   #3
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've heard some wild stuff night fisher, but never anything that growled. I think I would had started the big motor sooner, if it were me!!! Or at least backed out and turned on my spot light to see what the heck it was.

BTW, where you from?? (If I may ask?)
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 02:17 PM   #4
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

I hate it when I mistype the title. Oh well admin can you fix it for me?

@bassfisher I am from huntsville, AL
Old 06-22-10, 02:20 PM   #5
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Yet another reason to pack heat LOL.

Man, I can't say I've ever been attacked by a cougar (while fishing at least ). What the heck else could it have been? Bobcat? Rabid housecat?
At first I thought it was just a raccoon because I had heard them make that kind of noise before. However when it jumped in the water I knew it was way to big to be a raccoon. May have been a mountain lion or bob cat.

Last edited by Rolling Tide; 06-22-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 02:32 PM   #6
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Tide View Post
I hate it when I mistype the title. Oh well admin can you fix it for me?

@bassfisher I am from huntsville, AL
No tellen what it might be then. BTW, you can edite and go advance, you can fix it there, I'm sure. (I have)
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 02:51 PM   #7
geezer1

Wow, Rolling Tide. That was a good read! Wish you had able to identify the critter.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 03:25 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Things that go bump in the night lol. I have been uneasy before while night fishing. Had a copperhead try to climb in the boat with me one night and if it were'nt for the moon shining on the water I never would have seen it swimming right at me. I had a bat land on my leg one night and crawl up my shorts..........no joke! I was freaking out and kicking and screaming and my partner had no idea what was going on but when it was all said and done he was laying on the deck of my boat laughing with tears in his eyes, he still loves to tell that story too by the way lol. I have seen some strange stuff at night like a mysterious green light that was under water and lit up an acre or so of the lake and slowly moved around the cove we were fishing. I thought maybe it was a diver but there were no boats around at all so who knows. Anyways I have several more stories but none of them involve something jumping in the water or growling at me so I guess you win. Also if your lights are shorting out when you back the trailer into the water just unplug them before you get them wet and that should save you the trouble/money of getting them fixed.
Old 06-22-10, 04:07 PM   #9
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I have seen some strange stuff at night like a mysterious green light that was under water and lit up an acre or so of the lake and slowly moved around the cove we were fishing. I thought maybe it was a diver but there were no boats around at all so who knows.

It took me forever to remember the name of that movie, you should have jumped in and took a swim. You would have felt great.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 04:11 PM   #10
nofearengineer

LOL, C-rig. If a bat crawled up my pants leg in the dark, I'd be rolling around screaming too, HAHA. Thanks for the laugh, bud.

What lake was that with the glow? Were there any bubbles? Of course, it's possible that they were using a rebreather, but with a light on at night, it's not like they were being stealthy.
Old 06-22-10, 04:32 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
LOL, C-rig. If a bat crawled up my pants leg in the dark, I'd be rolling around screaming too, HAHA. Thanks for the laugh, bud.

What lake was that with the glow? Were there any bubbles? Of course, it's possible that they were using a rebreather, but with a light on at night, it's not like they were being stealthy.
That bat deal freaked me out big time lol.

The green underwater light was on Stockton lake which is a Corp of Engineers lake about 4 hours north of Table Rock.
Old 06-22-10, 04:52 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
That bat deal freaked me out big time lol.

The green underwater light was on Stockton lake which is a Corp of Engineers lake about 4 hours north of Table Rock.
I think I would've been swimming if if a bat landed on me like that. Probably screamed like a girl, too...

And I swear I would've thrown a crankbait at the light, just for informational purposes...
Old 06-22-10, 06:21 PM   #13
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Tide View Post
on and all is good until I hear something snarling at me and making all kinds of noise. I couldn’t see what it was but it sounded LARGE and in charge. I got on the trolling motor and moved on down a little to get away from it but it moved right with me. Here is where I got scared. It jumped in the water and rocked the boat it made such large waves I just about fell out of the boat. I jerked up the trolling motor and hit the big engine and took off as fast as I could go. I don’t know what it was and don’t know if I want to know but that is the first time I have ever been scared fishing at night.

The worst part of the whole trip. I didn’t catch anything! LOL
I'll bet it was Bamabassman thinking you might have a big bass In your livewell and HE WAS GOING TO SEE WHAT ONE LOOKED LIKE.
Old 06-22-10, 06:46 PM   #14
bamabassman

DADGUMIT LASH! now ya done gone a done did it.............AGAIN!
truth is that was my pet GATOR. see after BAMA blew out florida in the S E C championship game, i got their mascot gator. he is real friendly, cept when i want him to NOT be friendly. hahahahaha!

named him ELVIS.
Old 06-22-10, 07:54 PM   #15
WTL

I asked my old man cause he fishes often down there below the dam and he said it could have been a bobcat or mountain lion. I'm from h'ville too and never seen one myself. Thats a pretty wild, rural area down there.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 08:41 PM   #16
1/4 stick

Quote:
Things that go bump in the night lol. I have been uneasy before while night fishing. Had a copperhead try to climb in the boat with me one night and if it were'nt for the moon shining on the water I never would have seen it swimming right at me. I had a bat land on my leg one night and crawl up my shorts..........no joke! I was freaking out and kicking and screaming and my partner had no idea what was going on but when it was all said and done he was laying on the deck of my boat laughing with tears in his eyes, he still loves to tell that story too by the way lol. I have seen some strange stuff at night like a mysterious green light that was under water and lit up an acre or so of the lake and slowly moved around the cove we were fishing. I thought maybe it was a diver but there were no boats around at all so who knows. Anyways I have several more stories but none of them involve something jumping in the water or growling at me so I guess you win. Also if your lights are shorting out when you back the trailer into the water just unplug them before you get them wet and that should save you the trouble/money of getting them fixed.
"Ma.... Ma!!! MA!!!!!!!!!! I GOT A BAT IN MUH BRITCHES!!!!!!"

hahahahahaha.......
Old 06-22-10, 10:16 PM   #17
tim4081

One word for you....BIGFOOT....
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 11:44 PM   #18
bamabassman

hey.......ya'll do know that ZOOKER is getting better. might have been him, hahahahahaha! kidding of course. just so happy he is better. but i know it was ELVIS my pet GATOR. ROFLMAO!
Old 06-23-10, 12:50 AM   #19
cassidyta

One night a buddy of mine and I were night fishing out at Lake Jenning's. It was just starting to get really dark. I was tossing 6 inch swimbaits. I made a big two handed cast and waited for the splash. Well the splash never came. A hawk, osprey, or eagle grabbed it out of the air. Had it been any other setup of mine the story would have probably ended with a broken line and a lost lure. Nope, this rig had 25lbs Andre on it. Once stopped the line from going out, I managed to hook the bird through the leg. In case you were curious, they don't like that.
My body and I get the bright idea to reel it into the boat to "do the right thing" and unhook. BTW, once a hawk knows that it can't get away, i then turns and flys towards you. He and I were yellingn like crazy as this think darted back and forth. The line ended up cutting his ear pretty good. (he ended up with stitches) Once we accepted that this was a no win situation, we cut the line. The bird took two more swipes at us before flying off.
While it is not the loud splash, it scared the hell out of both of us.
Old 06-23-10, 08:40 AM   #20
Bassboss

LOL nofear! Rabid House cat!? LOL

Sounds like a big 'ol cat, and a big *** dog?

Good to know you didn't get hurt at least!
Old 06-23-10, 01:03 PM   #21
dave

Will big cats go into the water? My experience with cats say they hate the water.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 02:00 PM   #22
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Will big cats go into the water? My experience with cats say they hate the water.
I dont think that works with big cats. Tabbys maybe.

You can imagine some of the habits of the modern housecat might be liabilities for a predator. If a lion is chasing down a gazelle, I dont think he will become deterred if the gazelle runs and stands in a puddle.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.