Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-11, 09:27 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Bassmaster Classic

I appreciate what the new ownership of BASS is trying to do by editing the classic so it's more presentable on tv, but why is it they need to wait a week to put it on? Up until last night I had no idea who had won or what happened during the classic and I wanted it to stay that way so it would have a fresh feel when I watched it this weekend...well that obviously isn't gonna happen now since I ran into a fellow angler last night and the first words to come out of his pie hole were "can you believe that KVD notched another one"...

So what are your thoughts? Do you think this is the future of how the classic will be televised or do you like the old platform... on a side note, I do think the new ownership is doing right by working on better benefits for members and sponsors. In my area I see the future of fishing dwindling on a regular basis as families work multiple jobs just to support the basics and kids are stuck in front of tv or computer and the only way they get any outdoor time is with a "play date"..what the h3ll is that! I'm only 30 and when I was a kid we played outside from sun-up to sundown.
Old 02-25-11, 10:33 AM   #2
CamG

Honestly, I won't mind the coverage being a week late - as long as there is more of it, and it is of higher quality. When it's televised during the same weekend, it always seems thrown together to me.

I guess I watch it live really anyway online. Now that you can watch the entire weigh in in real time, I can't stay away.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 10:45 AM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Honestly, I won't mind the coverage being a week late - as long as there is more of it, and it is of higher quality. When it's televised during the same weekend, it always seems thrown together to me.

I guess I watch it live really anyway online. Now that you can watch the entire weigh in in real time, I can't stay away.
X2, it's all we get, I want the coverage to be as thorough and as much of it as possible. I don't mind waiting a week either.
Old 02-25-11, 11:05 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

I agree with Cam and Jrob. "Day-of" coverage is nice because it's almost live, but give them a week to edit and compose and streamline the hours and hours and hours of footage, and you'll have a much better show.
Old 02-25-11, 04:16 PM   #5
3dkicker

Whatever they do just add more fishing and less drama/fluff. I'm tired of watching guys with 4 fish and 11 lbs swing a 4 pound fish in the boat and then only have 13 lbs and be in an unofficial tie so that we can make things exciting at the weigh in.
I want to see repeated casts to cover. I want to see them work a bank. I want to see how they approach a piece of cover so that I can actually learn something from watching. Seeing guys swing fish in the boat doesn't do anything for me..... I learn more watching Bill Dance catch his pet fish over and over.
Old 02-26-11, 05:00 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I think if they would have known half the field of anglers would have been fishing on the area of a football field, it might have been a different story and possibly telelvised. They had the ability to be 100 miles apart from each other down there.
Old 02-26-11, 01:54 PM   #7
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

It doesn't really bother me that it's a week late ( I just watched it less than 2 hours ago),
but it is annoying to know who's gonna win ahead of time.
I found out several days ago, on the front page of Basspro.

But it has knocked shipping down to 4 bucks!

Btw.......WAY TO GO KVDam!!!
Old 02-26-11, 11:02 PM   #8
rrw4258

The only thing that bothers me is the times that they chose to put them on ESPN2... they couldn't find any better time slots than 5 and 6 am??? And then for day 3 is on at 10 pm? I would have rather seen a 3 hour block, so I can actually watch them.

Ryan
Old 02-27-11, 07:04 AM   #9
walkeraviator

Remember guys it is gettin close to March madness... college basketball trumps fishin every time
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 07:53 AM   #10
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Remember guys it is gettin close to March madness... college basketball trumps fishin every time
NAW - not even close. I didn't even watch the HOKIES knock off the #1 team in the country last night.
Old 02-27-11, 09:22 AM   #11
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
The only thing that bothers me is the times that they chose to put them on ESPN2... they couldn't find any better time slots than 5 and 6 am??? And then for day 3 is on at 10 pm? I would have rather seen a 3 hour block, so I can actually watch them.

Ryan

TIVO is your friend.....
Old 02-27-11, 07:47 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
NAW - not even close. I didn't even watch the HOKIES knock off the #1 team in the country last night.
Yeah... but when you grow up in wildcat country, you learn that Churches close for Kentucky Basketball games. Around here, B-Ball is king.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 08:03 PM   #13
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Yeah... but when you grow up in wildcat country, you learn that Churches close for Kentucky Basketball games. Around here, B-Ball is king.
The best thing about Kentucky basketball--ASHLEY JUDD
Just kidding they've had some great teams in the last 100 years or so.
Old 02-27-11, 09:23 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
The best thing about Kentucky basketball--ASHLEY JUDD
Just kidding they've had some great teams in the last 100 years or so.

Mmmmmm....Ashley Judd.......
Old 02-28-11, 04:15 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
TIVO is your friend.....
I wouldn't get to watch much of anything without this handy dandy device. I am wondering when they will come out with the XM/Sirius version of one?
Old 02-28-11, 09:41 AM   #16
jasonfish320

Anyone watch it on ESP2 this wkend? I watched day1 and about half of day2 and DVR'd the rest.. and so far I can't tell much of a difference from any of the previous years. I think that the coverage of last year was better. They had a lot more background on the anglers and overall seemed to be more informative. This year is a lot different..everyone is throwing spinnerbaits, fishing shallow and trying to strike when the fish are coming in to spawn..I also find it interesting that there are so many fishing in one area, 4 guys all withing a 100yds of each other...The Delta is HUGE and 11 anglers are all within sight of each other. Although I'm only half way through day2, so far I don't see the coverage to be any better...just my opinion
Old 02-28-11, 01:42 PM   #17
Jrob78

What was with the opening on the day 2 coverage? It seemed to me like they didn't give the weigh in much time at all, they didn't build any suspense about who was going to win. I guess it was so much of a blow out they didn't need to. I watched it live online so my judgement might be a little skewed.
Old 02-28-11, 01:53 PM   #18
nofearengineer

Two observations...

Whoever dreamed up the intro to day two should be fired. That may be the single-most annoying 5 minutes of TV I have ever witnessed. Listening to Iaconelli scream "NEVER GIVE UP" about fifty times was ridiculous.

Aaron Martens needs to hire himself a public relations coach and LISTEN TO HIM. It's pretty sad when a guy catches 59 pounds of bass, yet continues to cry and whine the whole weekend about how KVD somehow catches more. He is really annoying to be so successful, and just ***** and moan about it, on camera no less.

Other than that....it was a pretty good event to watch. I loved seeing the Federation rookie take 4th. He would have done even better had he not lost that big one near the end. (although surely it wasn't a "ten pounder" like he said?) Watching the crazies go 70 mph in the fog was nuts.
Old 02-28-11, 02:05 PM   #19
Bob Smith

First off, Kudos to KVD! What a basscatching machine!
Secondly, it really doesn't matter to me about the television coverage when you can check the event anytime you want on the computer!
Thirdly, I think we will see Bassmaster on Versus or somewhere else before the year is out. If they sold the organization outright, they obviously don't think there is enough money in promoting them either. It's probably just a matter of time.
I also agree with the comment about cutting the drama/fluff and keep the focus on catching fish!
Old 02-28-11, 02:16 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Two observations...

Whoever dreamed up the intro to day two should be fired. That may be the single-most annoying 5 minutes of TV I have ever witnessed. Listening to Iaconelli scream "NEVER GIVE UP" about fifty times was ridiculous.

Aaron Martens needs to hire himself a public relations coach and LISTEN TO HIM. It's pretty sad when a guy catches 59 pounds of bass, yet continues to cry and whine the whole weekend about how KVD somehow catches more. He is really annoying to be so successful, and just ***** and moan about it, on camera no less.

Other than that....it was a pretty good event to watch. I loved seeing the Federation rookie take 4th. He would have done even better had he not lost that big one near the end. (although surely it wasn't a "ten pounder" like he said?) Watching the crazies go 70 mph in the fog was nuts.
Aaron Martens talked for a good 5 minutes at the weigh in. He was very gracious and didn't come off bitter or whiney at all. I thought he came off much worse on the edited coverage.

It was really cool seeing Brandon Palaniuk do so well. He is going on to fish the Elite Series this season.
Old 02-28-11, 02:29 PM   #21
cassidyta

I only got to watch day 3 coverage, but it is all on my DVR.
I thought it was decent coverage, but I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the fishing. I thought they did a good job of showing guys trying to find the stumps and deflecting the baits off of them. I thought the interaction with KVD and Martens was good. I liked the attitude that KVD had when he told Martens "I must have a magnet, you always move towards me"

I agree with Bryce that Martens came across as a cry baby, but not as much as Rook.

As far as when they show it. As much as we may not like it, I doubt we will ever see ESPN carry it as a Prime Time event. There is not enough of a market for it.
Old 02-28-11, 02:30 PM   #22
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Aaron Martens talked for a good 5 minutes at the weigh in. He was very gracious and didn't come off bitter or whiney at all. I thought he came off much worse on the edited coverage.
+1 on that. The perception ESPN built wasn't the reality at all.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 03:01 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I'm sure that was a lot of it. I'm just saying, as a professional, he has got to know they will use that footage against him like that. If he was gracious the whole day, they wouldn't have anything. And yeah, KVD's little digs at him were pretty funny too. You can tell there is a competition/cameraderie there.

And yeah, Rook was pretty bad too. Shut up and catch em!!!
Old 02-28-11, 03:02 PM   #24
CamG

Well, I was really hoping that with 5 hours of coverage I hadn't seen, it would be good. I must say that I am disappointed. All fluff, very little fish catching and even though I knew the results - I was lost on who was where on the leaderboard with their coverage.

However, I did watch the past events on ESPN classic they had on Friday night. This coverage is much, much better than what we had even 3 years ago.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 05:53 PM   #25
Jrob78

It sure felt like Beeswax Creek all over again.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.