Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-09, 04:49 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default i just thought this was neat..

i forgot to share this story.

so i snapped the tip on my all star rod last weekend,told my dad...he told me to swing on over to thier house and he'll replace the tip....so i did,and of course we spend 2 hours out in the garage talking fishing....everytime i go over there,he's got something new for me to try out.....he's the guy i can never surprise with knowledge.....if i start a ''fishing'' sentence....he'll finish it...lol

anyway...i knew he like the all star rods with his pfleugers.....but i didnt know what he had his daiwa's matched with...so i start looking and notice that the rods are blank....i ask him what they were,and he gave me a excited look...

''i've never told you?''
''no''

he went digging in a filing cabinet and handed me an old,worn business card

''Nelson custom fishing rods''

i looked confused and he laughed.....he said ''back in the 70's i was building custom rods as a side job ,until i got married and had you guys''
''after that,i slowed down and only made them for friends''

he then showed me several old rods he built back in the late 70's.....all were extremely heavy!!,but the thread wrapping/colors was beautiful....
hand shaped pistol grip handles on most of em

now the ones in the boat, he made less than ten years ago...he bought a couple of MH loomis blanks for about 80 a piece at barlow's tackle....and did everything else himself.....except they were just striaght cork handles..

i never knew

man,you talk about another 2 hours of me asking questions and picking his brain after that,lol......i just thought that was the coolest thing.
Old 08-28-09, 05:00 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey! Can you get him to build me a rod CHEAP!!?!?!

ROFL, just kidding. I just wanted to be the first to do it.

That's awesome, Waffle. You never knew the old guy had it in him, did ya?
Old 08-28-09, 05:03 PM   #3
brushhog

Cool Story!

There is a book somewhere entitled something like "Questions for my Father". It's all these questions you might never think to ask your Dad, but might generate an interesting story.

I'm really close to my Dad and still learn stuff about him about the time.
Old 08-28-09, 05:16 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

hahaha,no kidding right?

27 years old....and i never that..lol...he was a math teacher at a university as his full time job....i didnt know that either.

now he just manages a small music store and fishes....

i told him (with an excited voice) that we should build a split grip on a cheaper blank for fun.....he smile and said no problem.....if i can get one built,ill post pics for sure....he still has all the building materials except the blanks,guides,grips
how cool would it be to build your own custom rods?....
Old 08-28-09, 05:28 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Cool Story!

There is a book somewhere entitled something like "Questions for my Father". It's all these questions you might never think to ask your Dad, but might generate an interesting story.

I'm really close to my Dad and still learn stuff about him about the time.

man sounds like a good book.....yea weve always been pretty close....but after my brother passed away back in 08....weve all been alot closer..and im getting new stories all the time.....some of which is hard to believe that he and my mom did,lol
Old 08-28-09, 05:32 PM   #6
islandbass

Man, that is cool. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-28-09, 05:43 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Very cool! My birthday is in December and I need a frog rod and spinnerbait rod lol
Old 08-28-09, 05:51 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Very cool! My birthday is in December and I need a frog rod and spinnerbait rod lol
now mallen, you know im gonna require a non-refundable $100 deposit per rod...

(a 300% service charge will be applied to all new customers..wafflejaw custom rods have absolutely no gurantees because his rods will probably fail,and reserves the right to refuse business to anyone who is not awesome)
Old 08-28-09, 05:57 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
now mallen, you know im gonna require a non-refundable $100 deposit per rod...

(a 300% service charge will be applied to all new customers..wafflejaw custom rods have absolutely no gurantees because his rods will probably fail,and reserves the right to refuse business to anyone who is not awesome)

Curses! Foiled again!
Old 08-28-09, 07:35 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

wafflejaw, it really is a shame that Loomis is no longer selling blanks, but for an inexpensive blank, check out a brand called RainShadow. I get mine at www.jannsnetcraft.com

BB
Old 08-28-09, 07:38 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Also, here is my sort of build thread for my crankbait rod. I did all the cork work, but my dad wrapped the guides that I don't have pics of because the black thread bled into the yellow and ruined it... Anyways, it still gives you an idea about the split grip.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ght=split+grip

BB
Old 08-29-09, 06:58 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
wafflejaw, it really is a shame that Loomis is no longer selling blanks, but for an inexpensive blank, check out a brand called RainShadow. I get mine at www.jannsnetcraft.com

BB

actually loomis has thier blanks on thier website....they aint cheap....ill definitely check those out from jannsnetcraft.....barlows has some IM6 in the store...$24-40 each.....i talk to my dad,and he's really excited to show me how to make em.....he even has a motorized mount to turn the rod so the finish dries evenly.....im pretty pumped to give it a shot..

bigbassin,have you made some?

edit*

haha,i didnt see the other post.....man.that handle looks good....and is exactly what i will be aiming for.....it's funny cause the first color i was thinking for the thread was yellow.....but ill probably do purple.....will see

thanks again man,ill keep you posted
Old 08-29-09, 07:31 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Yeah, that rod was a crankbait rod (on a rainshadow blank) made to match my Skeet Reese Revo. It was also going to have a black, yellow, and pearl double chevron butt wrap, but after the black thread bled into the yellow, we didn't bother with the hours of work involved in the fancy butt wrap.

Also, just some tips. I don't what guides you dad used, but get Fuji Alconite or SiC (silicon carbide) guides. The SiC are more expensive, but are much stronger, especially with braided line. As for colors, Green and metallic gold, blue and metallic silver, red and silver, red and gold, are all good color choices. So are color that are on opposites (Orange and blue, yellow and purple, green and red) they really accent the other colors.

BB
Old 08-29-09, 08:40 PM   #14
bamabassman

ain't it amazing the things ol dad knows? congrats on yur "new" rod man.
Old 08-31-09, 09:39 AM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Yeah, that rod was a crankbait rod (on a rainshadow blank) made to match my Skeet Reese Revo. It was also going to have a black, yellow, and pearl double chevron butt wrap, but after the black thread bled into the yellow, we didn't bother with the hours of work involved in the fancy butt wrap.

Also, just some tips. I don't what guides you dad used, but get Fuji Alconite or SiC (silicon carbide) guides. The SiC are more expensive, but are much stronger, especially with braided line. As for colors, Green and metallic gold, blue and metallic silver, red and silver, red and gold, are all good color choices. So are color that are on opposites (Orange and blue, yellow and purple, green and red) they really accent the other colors.

BB
thanks for the tips,BB

yea Im going with fuji for all the hardware.....barlow's is about a 15 minute drive from my work, so im gonna go look at those blanks on my lunch break...hopefully they''ll have a 7'...or a 6'6..probably go with thier cheaper blank they have for the first build....so im not out alot of money if it fails.lol

were also gonna try the chevron wrap as well infront of the reel seat....he's really big into that.
man, i didnt realize cork handles were that expensive.
it will end up costing me about $50-60 to build this thing,

question? what do you mean about the thread '''bleeding'' together?
I think i know what you mean,just not sure.
Old 08-31-09, 10:56 AM   #16
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

mudhole.com is also a great place to buy rod builing supplies. They have a bunch of different rod manufactures. They even have camo rod blanks and eva lol
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 02:34 PM   #17
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ain't it amazing the things ol dad knows? congrats on yur "new" rod man.
Thats exactly what I was thinkin.......Bout the time my kids think they know everything I do, i'll drop something new on them that they had no idea the ol'man was capable of......I just love doin that.

Like my ol'man told me...."Boy I taught you everything you know, but I didn't teach ya everything I know"!
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 03:21 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
thanks for the tips,BB

yea Im going with fuji for all the hardware.....barlow's is about a 15 minute drive from my work, so im gonna go look at those blanks on my lunch break...hopefully they''ll have a 7'...or a 6'6..probably go with thier cheaper blank they have for the first build....so im not out alot of money if it fails.lol

were also gonna try the chevron wrap as well infront of the reel seat....he's really big into that.
man, i didnt realize cork handles were that expensive.
it will end up costing me about $50-60 to build this thing
Cork is very expensive. That's why I made my handle out of cork my dad had from a when he used to build rods. We just bought some different colored decorative cork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw
question? what do you mean about the thread '''bleeding'' together?
I think i know what you mean,just not sure.
Well, I'd get you a picture but I'm cameraless for now... But prettu much, it looked like this originally

||||||||||||||||||||GUIDE||||||||||||||||||||

on double footed guides. and below on single footed.

||||||||||||||||||||GUIDE

But after the epoxy was applied, the black bled into the yellow turning an ugly greyish color... The old thread we used had was supposed to have color preserver in it like all the modern thread, but there is also a color preserver you can add. well we didn't add it. I think because the thread was old, the color preserver (meant to keep the colors from fading over time) also let the color bleed from the black into the epoxy and then into the yellow.

BB
Old 09-01-09, 03:43 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

bigbassin that sucks man........especially when your that close to the end..
i didnt think thread would bleed like that?....but then again,i dont know much about nylon thread.

i dig the pattern you had going.

well my fishing license just expired so i gotta re-new that first....so buying the blank and doing this will be on hold for another few weeks.....but Barlow's did have a 7' MH IM6 casting blank for $40......so at least i know it'll be there when im ready

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.