Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-09, 08:41 PM   #1
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Berkley

Anyone care to express there opinion on the Berkley Lightning Rods. Ive never purchased one but Im looking for a new reel and ill be needing a new rod and I've looked at this one a few times.
Badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:10 PM   #2
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Got 2, like them both. Decent rods for a low $.
Old 09-08-09, 09:17 PM   #3
AfterLife
BassFishin.Com Member

lightning rods are nice

i fish crankbaits with amp rod, like it

just got in a lightning shock rod today, customer picking it up tomarrow and will give me review and i will let you know on that one

best thing is the price on any of them
AfterLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:29 PM   #4
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, I really liked the Price of the Lightning Rod alot also. Let me know how the guy likes it. And if anyone else has an opinion I still want to hear them.
Old 09-08-09, 10:36 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

got 4 of em, lmao. and yes i like them VERY much for the money.
Old 09-08-09, 10:45 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have 2 of them and like them. I have them in the 5 1/2' for fishing creeks when you don't have much room. The only problem I ever had out of one is the line guide inserts popping out. Snap it back in and a little super glue does the trick.
Old 09-09-09, 12:16 AM   #7
66KingFisher

I've got one, and i'm very happy with it.....As pointed out, they are a decent rod for the money..
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 05:54 AM   #8
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you might as well fish with a telephone pole.
Old 09-09-09, 07:38 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For a great, nicely priced rod:

Shimano Clarus.

BB
Old 09-09-09, 09:19 AM   #10
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

I payed 9 buck each for 2 if I could get more I also have a shock and love it too and i have seen a amp brake in half with a 3 lb smallie on it lifting it into the boat 9 the expression on my co fishers face was priceless for every thing else theirs mater card lol
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 03:39 PM   #11
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default berkley rods

I own three I just bought one last week 6'6" med Lightning rod custom it has the same split grip as the shock rod. It came with an Abu silver max that is gonna be tossed in the garbage. Every time iv set the hook on a good fish it goes into like free spool it's weird. But the rod itself is great so far been using it as a top water set up.

I also have a 7' med/Hvy that Iv been using as a cranking stick paired with a Quantum Tour Pt. I know its an odd pairing but bought it in a pinch after I broke my Tour PT rod ( out for service). I have nothing terrable to say about the rod it's been working great.

I also had a 6'6" ML spinning that I was using as a Tube Dragger/Drop shot rod. Which I snapped setting the hook on a close to 4lb Smalley got the fish in but broke the rod I was so po'd but yet happy haha. Plus I got it as a gift so sending it back to them would just be a hassel being I don't have the reciept.

All in all I have to say the Berkley rods are great. And now that I have kids and can't justify buying the high end stuff anymore they fit the nitch.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 09:29 PM   #12
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For a great, nicely priced rod:

Shimano Clarus.

BB
At 2-3x the price BigBass... remember that "gear trap" we were talking about? LOL

Lightning rods can be had commonly for $25-$35, while the least expensive Clarus I have seen was $59.99 and run up to about $89.99. While the Clarus is an excellent lower priced rod, it isn't really in the same class as the lightning rods...
Old 09-09-09, 09:54 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While it is twice as much, you ARE going to get a MUCH better rod. Now, maybe this would be that "gear trap" if I suggested a Shimano Cumara rod. But I didn't, and honestly, I don't think saving up an extra 35-50 bucks is a big deal, especial compared to the 175-200 for a rod like a Cumara.

BB
Old 09-09-09, 09:56 PM   #14
nofearengineer

My philosophy...fill up your arsenal with decent, sturdy tackle. Then start upgrading. I like the Lightning Rods.
Old 09-09-09, 10:49 PM   #15
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
I own three I just bought one last week 6'6" med Lightning rod custom it has the same split grip as the shock rod. It came with an Abu silver max that is gonna be tossed in the garbage. Every time iv set the hook on a good fish it goes into like free spool it's weird. But the rod itself is great so far been using it as a top water set up.

I also have a 7' med/Hvy that Iv been using as a cranking stick paired with a Quantum Tour Pt. I know its an odd pairing but bought it in a pinch after I broke my Tour PT rod ( out for service). I have nothing terrable to say about the rod it's been working great.

I also had a 6'6" ML spinning that I was using as a Tube Dragger/Drop shot rod. Which I snapped setting the hook on a close to 4lb Smalley got the fish in but broke the rod I was so po'd but yet happy haha. Plus I got it as a gift so sending it back to them would just be a hassel being I don't have the reciept.

All in all I have to say the Berkley rods are great. And now that I have kids and can't justify buying the high end stuff anymore they fit the nitch.
You could mail me that silver max man .

Jim
Old 09-09-09, 11:46 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Real good rod for the $. I've got a couple I still use even thought I've upgraded to other rods.
Old 09-10-09, 12:50 AM   #17
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Im still looking into other rods but the two rods I have now are alot cheaper. Graphite Series BPS rod $29.99 and a Browning Gold series I bought for $19.99 clerance at cabelas. And as much as id love to buy a $150-$200 rod. I cant afford that right now. Maybe after the turn-around next month!! But for now $49-$69 is what i'd like to spend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.