Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-19-13, 01:14 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Gemini Bass Boats

I recently came across an '89 Gemini 179 DCX and decided to buy it; the current owner has installed two new finders a 3 bank on board charger a newer TM (2 years old) the engine has good compression and everything but the speedo and gas gauge work. This is the best photo I have right now. I'm going to put some new seats in it soon and wetsand the topcoat to see if I can bring it back; the oxidation isn't all too bad considering the age.

Old 06-19-13, 06:05 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sweet nice looking boat
Old 06-19-13, 10:39 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's a pretty rig you have there. Can't wait to see more pics! Maybe a few of before and after the wet sanding and topcoat.
Old 06-20-13, 07:57 AM   #4
lilmule

Nice,speedo isnt that important(as most inaccurate above 50mph) most likely pitot or tube related(uses 1/4 tubing),as for gas gauge most likely sending unit or gauge not expensive,use volt ohm meter to find out which if you read at gauge its that,if not sending unit,does however pay to check all fuses take them out and check and place back in even if they look good sometimes its the contact point corroded.
There are also many chemical fixes to that faded topcoat called restorers=Meyguirs for one,last several months at a time.
Assuming sound in both boat and motor should last you a few years,should run high sixties if it doesnt walk with a 24 p,four blade while slower will drive better.Most in that era tended to chine walk at around 62,63.
And even though it may have wood in it lighter than nowdays boats of same length.
That strap all the way across will mar the finish,buy a set of shorter boat tie downs for the rear.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-20-13 at 08:08 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 09:41 AM   #5
jasonfish320

I was actually surprised that there is very little wood in this boat; the floors are all glass. I'm starting to think that this company went under because they put too much into these rigs. I'm digging the huge livewell on the bow, I think it helps to balance the weight of the boat a lot better and just an overall different feel. It will suck if/when I need to replace any of those pumps under there tho. I will take a lot of before and afters. I'm hoping to keep this around for atleast 3-5 years. My mechanic looked it over and told me the engine appears to have been rebuilt within the last 5 years I'm going to have to get a more accurate read on the speed because the GPS finder that is on it had it reading 70mph at WOT..it did feel like 70, but I'm just finding that speed hard to believe. Overall this has been a great find. I'm hoping to send it to a friend this week to have the glass work done and possibly fabricate some windshields. I'm super stoked about this project and even more happy about not having a payment on a new boat as I was literally getting ready to order a 2014 Nitro for next year.
Old 06-20-13, 11:14 AM   #6
lilmule

A great many of those boats were composite,and a great many will run 70mph your gps isnt lying.That mariner should have a 1.75 gear ratio and ive seen 1.86 omc do it on say a 379 javelin,wound however.Front livewells I love myself however many have issues such as spillout if not sealed good or a lock,plugging the outlet on a long runs helps as well,just remember to unplug when you land.What seems common at least to me is on boats that have two,neither are quite large enough for two decent limits or even have a divider in the rear one.Yet am fond of the setup my 385v is same,yet do have few problems to solve as its a one pump system with to small an inlet,and spillover may have that temp cured.
Should be good for a long time and no payments like the new nitro for fifteen years.
Do go over it rubber etc will be questionable if so replace its cheaper than a breakdown of either motor or eq contained within.
I own currently a 1985 stratos 19 ft 1 in which does have wood in it and a 83 hydrosport 17 1/2 ft which does not.The sport is available to someone wanting a starter type cheap boat,even advertised here.But from looks and info you have a winner,as for them going out of business,many did mostly due to economy and cost of mfg.
PS the nitro at least those made in my day is roughly made run hand inside to run wiring and get fiberglass cuts,maybe new ones are better dunno.
And kings of the pocket rockets would be the 16 ft 10 in bumble bee rated for a 135-140 65mph or the bullet 17 cc doing 75 out of the box,with close to 80 later possible and the 17 cc was considered quite dangerous as many overrated them in hp so neither one available unless used.Both however would lack the storage and fishability of your current boat,you made a good choice.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-20-13 at 11:35 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 10:34 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Back in the mid-'80's, there was a Gemini dealer here in Paris. The late Billy Westmoreland ran one for a couple of years on his TV program. They were good looking boats.
Old 07-01-13, 09:31 AM   #8
jasonfish320

Wetsanded the rims with 1200; got rid of about 99% of the surface rust; finished with a polish/wax. Installed a 581i HD unit this weekend as well, can't wait to test it out.

Old 07-01-13, 01:24 PM   #9
nobass

Looking good lepts us know how she dose
Old 07-07-13, 11:34 PM   #10
Captmikestarrett

The only issue I ever heard about those boats was the glass under the seat cracking..

Other than that, they are sound boats. Nice find.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.