Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-10, 03:39 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default All around Rod/Reel rigs on a budget...

Here is a question for you guys. I am on a TIGHT budget and am fishing with very limited resources that I have been using for years. I fish all year so I fisha multitude of different baits and techniques. My question is what line should i put on these things to get the most use out of them since i dont have a rod for every different type of Bait. I have 4 Rods and currently only 3 reela but am working at getting another reel...

Three rods are graphite 6'6" pistol grip Medium/Fast Rods, and one is a 7'0" MH/Fast rod

Reels are all $50-$60 6.3:1 baitcasters all similar to a Black Max in quality (Not great but reliable)...

I want the use the longer rod for Jigs... what line is best there? Braid would be great for flippin, but overkill for most everything else...

Othere rods would do duty for everything from Deep cranks to shallow cranks, to surface baits, buzz baits, spinner baits...you name it it does it. What is the best all around line to get all these jobs done???

I wish I could afford a collection of 20 job specific setups, but that aint happening any time soon...so what do you recommend?

By the way, they are all spooled in 12lb Trilene XL Mono as we speak.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 04:19 PM   #2
WillTheThrill
BassFishin.Com Member

Something fairly cheap that I have found to be very reliable is Suffix mono, Id go with 14-17lb test
WillTheThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 04:35 PM   #3
MIbasser

You can't go wrong with mono. People have been using it for years (and I'm one of them).

As for size I agree with Will. But as for brand, that's totally up to you. You will hear 10 different brands for 8 different people and they all will tell you it's great. Go with what fits in YOUR budget and what you can easily find.

If Trilene works for you, don't change a thing. Fish with what you have confidence in.

Good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 04:40 PM   #4
walkeraviator

Is it worth switching to Flouro???
Old 04-06-10, 05:07 PM   #5
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Is it worth switching to Flouro???
Keep in mind Flourocarbon sinks. Does not work well for topwater applications. I use mono and am quite happy with it. 12 pound test is good for a lot of applications. You might go heavier for weedier or wood type applications. Of course you can go lighter for really clear open water.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 05:08 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It may be worth switching to fluoro for the rod you're going to use contact baits on. (jigs, texas rigged worms, things fished on the bottom. I'd definitely use your 7' MH rod for this.

Seaguar's Red Label fluorocarbon is not much more expensive than some monos. I've never used it, but it seems like a great, lower priced alternative to my favorite fluoro, Seaguar InvisX.

I'd stick with mono for the other applications if that's what works for you. I really like Sufix Elite mono. You may also want to try P-line Floroclear, which is a copolymer. I've found it to handle like mono, yet be a bit more sensitive. Another good all around line.

BB
Old 04-06-10, 05:50 PM   #7
Bassboss

Ok... so a pretty tight budget eh? And if I understand right, you already have you combo/combos?

I think the best line for them would be some 10lb p-line cxx!! Breaks at 14lb, if you fish a little thick stuff, than 12lb should do you good (breaks at 17lb).

The reason I recommend this stuff is because I'm in a very similar situation! I've pretty much got 1 combo I use for pretty much anything (other than a crankbait rod, and spinning rig). And this stuff is low stretch, and sensitive enough for worms, and buoyant enough for top waters and spinnerbaits. Casts pretty good too, not as good as XL or CX, but it does it's job good enough. It's also very abrasion resistant, and you don't have to retie ever time you hook a fish deep, or cast into some logs every other cast.

Hope you like it, good fishin'!

p.s. - if you look at kevins line guide, you'll see that if you average the middle recommended line lb tests, that the average will be around 16lb test.. so I recommend getting 14, or 15lb tests.

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-06-10 at 07:04 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 06:12 PM   #8
Cavs1123

I would try Berkley Big Game line. Its a 1300 yd spool for 8 bucks! Plus its VERY strong
Old 04-06-10, 06:24 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Here is a question for you guys. I am on a TIGHT budget and am fishing with very limited resources that I have been using for years. I fish all year so I fisha multitude of different baits and techniques. My question is what line should i put on these things to get the most use out of them since i dont have a rod for every different type of Bait. I have 4 Rods and currently only 3 reela but am working at getting another reel...

Three rods are graphite 6'6" pistol grip Medium/Fast Rods, and one is a 7'0" MH/Fast rod

Reels are all $50-$60 6.3:1 baitcasters all similar to a Black Max in quality (Not great but reliable)...

I want the use the longer rod for Jigs... what line is best there? Braid would be great for flippin, but overkill for most everything else...

Othere rods would do duty for everything from Deep cranks to shallow cranks, to surface baits, buzz baits, spinner baits...you name it it does it. What is the best all around line to get all these jobs done???

I wish I could afford a collection of 20 job specific setups, but that aint happening any time soon...so what do you recommend?

By the way, they are all spooled in 12lb Trilene XL Mono as we speak.

Not sure if that statement means you wanna stay away from braid or not, but if using braid on one of your set-ups, it could double as a froggin' rod. I use 30# Sufix Braid myself, but would probably go heavier the further South I went. I'm in Michigan
While Trilene XL isn't a real popular choice here, it's my go-to mono.
17# for spinnerbaits and 8# for finesse fishing
Old 04-06-10, 07:07 PM   #10
Jim80

I would go 50 to 65 pound braid on your frog/jig rod just cause it is a higher diameter and digs into the spool a bit less , for mono I have been using big game and for fluorocarbon Seaguar Invizx or triline 100% flurorcarbon .

Jim
Old 04-06-10, 07:09 PM   #11
Jrob78

Braid would work well on your froggin, jigging and t-rig/c-rig, and topwater rod, assuming you chose to make them all the same rod. Braid floats so it's great for top water baits and slop baits, it is also super sensitive so it works well on bottom, feel type baits. I would use anywhere from 30-50 lb. Enough Power Pro to fill a reel costs about $12.

If you want to keep things simple and use the same line for every setup I would recommend mono or a copoly. I would probably go with 14lb for mono and 12lb for copoly. In mono I like Sufix Elite, it is strong and has about the lowest memory of any mono out there. For copoly I like Pline CX but I think Fluoroclear would be a good choice as well. Copoly lines have less stretch and more strength than mono and are more sensitive, they also have less memory than most fluoros. Copoly is also middle of the road in buoyancy, it doesn't sink as fast a fluoro but it doesn't float quite as well as mono.

Last edited by Jrob78; 04-06-10 at 09:57 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 09:54 PM   #12
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd set up one rod with braid for jiggin etc. Set up another with mono for top water, spinner baits and cranks. Another with Pline floroclear....a great lower priced line that is a copoly with a floro coating....good for plastics such as senkos, grubs etc.....this will give you alot of versatility. Many people make mistake thinking braid, because of its high strength is overkill but its really all about diameter so don't shy away just because of that.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 12:00 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Walker and Tim, welcome to the forum!

If you rig a MH with braid you can use it for a wide variety of baits-jigs, worms, frogs, etc. as well a pitch/flip with it.

I'm with Tim on the P-Line Floroclear. It is by far the best line I have used-tough yet handles like a dream. I use it for every mono application except topwater since the fluorocarbon coating makes it sink, but even that really isn't that big of a deal since you are limited.
Old 04-07-10, 04:42 AM   #14
walkeraviator

Have never known Frogs to work great in my common fishin areas.
I like the following

Crankbaits
Lipless Crankbaits
Spinners
Buzzbaits
Torpedoes
Pop-Rs
Zara Spooks
Hard Jerkbaits
Texas Rig
ShakeyHead

My new techniques that I am just starting to learn...
Cast and retrieve Jigging
Flippin
Soft Swim baits
and hopefully buying a spinning combo for drop shot soon.
Old 04-07-10, 08:25 AM   #15
PaulT
BassFishin.Com Member

When you get your new reel, get one you like that comes with 2 spools. Load different lines and make it a dual purpose setup.
Old 04-07-10, 08:37 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Have never known Frogs to work great in my common fishin areas.
I like the following

Crankbaits
Lipless Crankbaits
Spinners
Buzzbaits
Torpedoes
Pop-Rs
Zara Spooks
Hard Jerkbaits
Texas Rig
ShakeyHead

My new techniques that I am just starting to learn...
Cast and retrieve Jigging
Flippin
Soft Swim baits
and hopefully buying a spinning combo for drop shot soon.
Here's a quick rundown of what I would use for the techniques you mentioned.

Crankbaits and Topwaters - Mono. 12lb should work fine for all of these things.

Spinnerbaits and jerkbaits - Mono will work ok, but I'd lean more towards a copolymer like P-line Floroclear. 12lb should also work fine for these.

Shaky Head - I like fishing shaky heads on a spinning combo. I use 8lb Fluorocarbon line, but Floroclear will work as well.

Texas Rigs - I'd normally use 12lb Fluorocarbon, but if your situation with limited tackle, I'd throw them on the 7' MH. I'd also throw jigs, flip/pitch, and throw frogs if you try them on here. I'd go with 30lb Sufix Performance braid for this setup. And when fishing clear water away from heavy cover using the t-rig or even jig, I'd add a 12lb Floroclear (or fluorocarbon if you have some) leader.

Anglers on a budget have more choices in rods now than they ever did. There's are numerous rods in the under $100 class that perform over their price point. Dick's Sporting Goods has their new Tech Spec rods, that are only like $60 or so. If you can spend a little more, you get into Abu Garcia Vendetta, W&W Skeet Reese Tessera, Falcon Bucoo, Shimano Compre, and Lamiglas Excel territory. All of which are good rods for their lower price points.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 11:22 AM   #17
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have switched almost completely to Pline CX and CXX for almost everything. It is light enough to let topwaters stay on top or shallow, and clear enough to not be seen in clear water, and strong enough to handle deep presentations where fluoro may be used.

Another option may be to jump into a decent spinning reel, something like the Pflueger Trion GX-7 or President. I got the GX-7 with 7' 1 piece MH rod (or was it Med, I forget) in a combo for $70 from BPS. the Presidents tend to run a little shy of $100 by themselves but may be able to find some on sale or a bit cheaper online.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 04:13 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Actually presidents runs around $60. And it's a great reel for the price.

BB
Old 04-07-10, 05:13 PM   #19
Bassboss

I've gotta agree with some'a these guys! Braid would probably do ya very well! That or the cxx like I said earlier! The reason I don't like braid all that much anymore is because it's so rough, makes my reels feel rougher than I'd like. Pick your poison, just depends on which characteristics you prefer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.