Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-14-10, 09:30 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Kistler Micro Magnesium

I was reading about these on Tackle Tour. While both the 7' MH Mg rods (micro guides and regular) weigh in less than a comparable G Loomis GLX, the Loomis balanced out at 5" above the reel seat, while the Micro and regular Mgs balance at 11 and 11.5", respectively.

A few things surprised me about this review. The switch from micro guides only reduced weight by .2oz, and only moved the balance point up .5". While this would be a lot for a rod that had a balance point within a couple inches of the reel seat, I don't see it making any difference in the case of the Kistler Mg rod. I was kind of disappointed to hear how far from the reel seat they balance though.

Another thing that surprised me was they never really talked about the hyped up casting distance of micros...

And one last thing. They claimed that the Micro Mg rod was quicker and more responsive and after fishing with it, the Fast action regular guide rod felt sluggish, almost like fishing with a MF action rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackle Tour
The standard rod was noticeably slower in response during a cast - almost akin to switching between a fast action blank to a moderate fast action blank. On the jerk-jerk-jerk-pause retrieve I was imparting to the Vision 110 bait at the end of the line, this standard rod was very noticeably slower in response to the point of feeling sloppy and non-precise.
Very interesting article if you're on the fence about trying micro guides like I am. Give it a read, it may help, or it make the decision even harder.

BB
Old 04-15-10, 09:17 AM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-10, 09:32 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Apples and oranges on the balance point issue. The Mg has a split cork handle of 9" and the GLX a full cork and I'm not certain, but probably a 10" - 11" which will affect the balance of the rod as well as overall weight. Which is more important? That's up to the angler. Most rods over 6'6" will have a tendancy to be "tip heavy" solely based on the length of the rod, the longer the rod the more it will be tip heavy - UNLESS, you add additional weight in the butt to compensate. NFE will probably be along and give us a formula to compute the effects of length, weight, leverage, folcrum, etc. to explain it all to us in uncomprehehdable terms (poking you NFE). Personally I prefer the lightest overall weight opposed to a perfectly balanced rod - the latter is much harder to obtain as other factors enter in to the rods balance, the least of which is the reel you put on it.
After reading the article - it says both rods were built on the same blank. I thought maybe they tested last year's Mg against the '10 Mg Micro, which has a different blank than the '09. That NOT being the case I can't fathom why the guides would make such a difference in the feel of the rod. Although having used the Kistler brand for 6 years and knowing first hand that (since '07) the rods are "tinkered" with annually and across the entire line, consistancy in Kistler rods is not something I've come to expect outside of a particular year of production. And that in, and of itself, isn't necessarilly a bad thing - UNLESS you like your rods to all be similiar in feel, all anglers do not. When you want to build a set of a dozen rods or so, at the price of these particuar rods, you usually do it over a period of years. With annual changes in the blank, reel seats, guides, etc. it is a bit problematic in building a set of rods when you want them to be of similiar construction. That's my issue with the "Kistler consistancy".

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-15-10 at 10:00 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 10:36 AM   #4
BigBassin144

I somewhat agree with the split vs full grip.

I weighed 20 cork rings, enough to build a 10" rod handle. Before being reamed out to fit a blank, they weighed it at .90 oz. A considerable amount more than the micro guides save. However, there are numerous other things we must account for. Metal trim and winding checks on split grips. Perhaps a fancy high density cork or cork composite butt cap. Even a plastic one.

I was actually surprised to see how much the cork rings weighed. I didn't think it would even be near .90 oz.

BB
Old 04-15-10, 11:29 AM   #5
Jrob78

I don't have good scales at work capable of weighing something so light but I do at home. I will weigh the few left over guides I have tonight and see what I come up with. A size 4 micro is easily 1/3 the physical size of a 6. How much weight savings that is though is hard to judge without a accurate weight.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 11:56 AM   #6
Bender

I wonder what guides were on the Loomis? My newest one has Recoil guides but it's a spinning rod. I don't know the weight difference between those and normal guides either.

Those findings are very interesting since I would have thought the opposite. One of the advantages I've heard of micros is the smaller foot which allows more uniform action of the blank. I would have thought that they would have made the blank more "free".
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 12:39 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I wonder what guides were on the Loomis? My newest one has Recoil guides but it's a spinning rod. I don't know the weight difference between those and normal guides either.

Those findings are very interesting since I would have thought the opposite. One of the advantages I've heard of micros is the smaller foot which allows more uniform action of the blank. I would have thought that they would have made the blank more "free".
That's exactly what I took that to mean. The micro guide rod was more "free" and more responsive, thus faster.
Old 04-15-10, 03:46 PM   #8
zooker

Having bought two rods with micro eyes. I do agree with the extended casting distance. Yes, the rod is more responsive. As for better feel it is a toss up really, compared to a compatable graphite stick. I prefur a bit heavier stick and the looks of high end cork appeal to me.

The split grip really has only 10-12 cork ring pieces in total.Two of which are partically sanded down, then they add a aluminum fret/bling piece to the end of the eva or cork. personally i think eva foam makes any rod it is on look cheap.

I feel that on my 7'6'' rod with the micro eyes. The eyes appear to be all the same excate size.-get out your spec's grampy before threaded these little suckers..

zooker
Old 04-15-10, 09:35 PM   #9
Jrob78

I tried to weigh a size 4 micro and it wouldn't even register on my scale. So one guide weighs less than 1/10 of a gram. I got a reading of 2/10th on a size 6 Fuji Alconite.
Old 04-18-10, 07:01 PM   #10
Jrob78

Here are a couple of pics of micro guides. The large guide is a size 6, this is the smallest size used on standard guide production rods, not considered a micro. The smallest is a size 4, the standard micro guide size. The one in the middle is a size 5, considered to be the largest micro guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0250.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	5021   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0253.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	5022  
Old 04-19-10, 06:04 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Joe, that's crazy how small those things are...

Oh, and check this out! I haven't heard anything about these rods until now, and I'm really excited. the new Falcon Cara Micros!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falco...cpage-FMC.html

BB
Old 04-19-10, 06:21 PM   #12
Jrob78

Wow, that came out of nowhere. I didn't know Falcon was working on micro rod either. Like we've talked about, everyone is going to offer a micro rod soon.

If they make that Cara in a 7'3" MHF I have a feeling your choice is going to get even tougher!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.