Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-09-10, 05:57 AM   #26
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The "new" Gary Loomis blank being used by Shimano/LOOMIS is the same or very similiar to the blank Trey Kistler is using for the "custom" Z-Bonz rod. That joint venture was announced last year, so Na-na-na-nahh-nahhhhh Kistler was FIRST (that's a funny fellas - ROFLMAO). Really, who cares? This either means Kistler will now have a blank that holds up as well as the Loomis, or Loomis is going to have a rod that breaks if you look at it funny (again, sarcasm as I haven't experienced this issue with my Kistler rods). Time will tell, but I'm not overly excited about it. As stated above it's got the "LOOMIS" name and it's NEW so that can only mean one thing - IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. Will it be worth $500 (average cost of a Kistler with the new blank)? To some probably, for me - NO WAY.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 08:19 AM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The "new" Gary Loomis blank being used by Shimano/LOOMIS is the same or very similiar to the blank Trey Kistler is using for the "custom" Z-Bonz rod. That joint venture was announced last year, so Na-na-na-nahh-nahhhhh Kistler was FIRST (that's a funny fellas - ROFLMAO). Really, who cares? This either means Kistler will now have a blank that holds up as well as the Loomis, or Loomis is going to have a rod that breaks if you look at it funny (again, sarcasm as I haven't experienced this issue with my Kistler rods). Time will tell, but I'm not overly excited about it. As stated above it's got the "LOOMIS" name and it's NEW so that can only mean one thing - IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. Will it be worth $500 (average cost of a Kistler with the new blank)? To some probably, for me - NO WAY.
Bassboogieman, I haven't heard that about them using the North Fork Composite blanks. Is this just speculation, or did you read this somewhere? I'm not saying it's not true, since I have no knowledge about the new loomis rods other than what was in the Tackle Tour article.

It would just seem odd to me for Shimano/G.Loomis to be using Gary Loomis's NFC blanks after their history. Gary sold G.Loomis to Shimano sometime in the late 90's I believe. Since then I know shimano has even sued him for using his name on other products claiming it belongs to them. Only recently did Gary get back into blank making, and with perfect timing IMO seeing as G.Loomis stopped selling blanks to rod builders about the same time. I would just think that G.Loomis would be using some proprietary formula. Also, they claimed that this rod was technology like 17 years in the making or something, so if that's true, that would also eliminate NFC as the supplier of the blanks.

BB
Old 04-09-10, 08:29 AM   #28
bassboogieman

I don't know anything about the "new Loomis Rod", I took from the initial posting that it's a new Loomis rod better than the GLX using a blank developed by G Loomis. I (likely mistakenly) assumed G. Loomis = GARY LOOMIS, the man not the Company. As he has recently resumed making rod blanks in Washington (State) my assumption (apparntly now, mistakenly) was his blank was being used to produce a new LOOMIS ROD. Hence my commrnts that it may not be the exact same blank but I'm betting it's the same material and very similiar if not identical. From the Kistler website about Z-Bone rods (I've edited out all but the reference to Gary's blank, as I don't want to post an advertisement for Kistler rods. If you want to read the entire description of the Z-bone go to the Kistler website):

Z-Bone Fishing Rods: .......Each Z bone will be built and tested from a blank that was specially designed by the legendary Gary Loomis and constructed by his North Fork Composites team in their new state-of-the-art blank factory in Woodland, Washington..........All Kistler Z bone blanks are finished in a beautiful "Raw Carbon." Our one of a kind "Raw Carbon" finished look is a sanding and polishing process that involves no added color, gloss or matte coating at all, just the pure beauty of graphite..........

And finially, as I noted in a couple areas most of my posting was a satirical somewhat sarcastic poke at the Loomis/all other brand (especially, in my case Kistler) rilvalry. I was obviously (now) incorrect in relating G. Loomis to Gary Loomis, which is where my commentary began. My appoligies for the confusion generated, I will now go stand in the corner for an appropriate TIME OUT.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-09-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 09:30 AM   #29
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
Might downgrade to an engineering job or something. More of the Gloomis snob sense of humor LOL

Quote:
I should also ad, I am not personally attacking anyone and I have never fly fished so could be a total different scenario on the repeat breaks.
Thanks for not attacking anyone while referring to my profession as a "downgrade". Obviously, you think my comments about "G. Loomis snobs" referred to you. They did not. The problem is, I seem to have struck a nerve; maybe you feel you are a "G. Loomis snob". I would be the last one to criticize someone over what income they earn, and how they choose to spend said income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
And finially, as I noted in a couple areas, while containing a factual base, most of my posting was a satirical somewhat sarcastic poke at the Loomis/all other brand (especially, in my case Kistler) rilvalry.
Totally agree...all of my comments weren't directed ant any G. Loomis fanboys in particular. Fanboys of other brands can be just as annoying.
Old 04-09-10, 10:00 AM   #30
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Joe, you are so right! I'm actually looking to get a little piece of two-sided Velcro to wrap around my C-rig weight when not in use. Beats re-rigging it all the time.

The double sided velcro works great!..I use it on my catfish rig which is bascially a c-rig.....Only thing is to cut the velcro bigger than the weight...They tend to slide off pretty easily no matter how tight.
That,and keeping up with the velcro when you take it off
Old 04-09-10, 10:21 AM   #31
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
The double sided velcro works great!..I use it on my catfish rig which is bascially a c-rig.....Only thing is to cut the velcro bigger than the weight...They tend to slide off pretty easily no matter how tight.
That,and keeping up with the velcro when you take it off
Glad to see my idea has already been tested and works!

I figure if you don't just shove it into your pocket, you could sew a piece of velcro onto your favorite fishing attire, and just stick it there until you're sick of...er, I mean, done C-rigging.
Old 04-09-10, 11:10 AM   #32
bassboogieman

Hi-Jackers: The velcro I haven't tried. I do use a "twist tie" to secure sinker and keep it from banging agains my precious rods (NFE sorry for being an obnoxious Kistler fan). I don't C-rig often but also use the twistie to secure a T-rig weight also. I hook one end over the line above the sinker with a twist & the other end I wrap a couple time around the hook shank. Unlike velcro though the twist ties don't last for ever. Someone needs to develop and market a small "lure wrap" to solve the problem. I think I've just solved my retirement income shortfall..................
Old 04-09-10, 01:08 PM   #33
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Easy

It's all in fun my brother all in fun. Don't take yourself so serious. I come from a family of engineers (Civil, structural, electrical) so I am somewhat qualified to poke fun. If that’s not enough, I am short fat and bald way on the ugly side……

Hey I have a law and biology degree work as a banker so have away with the atty jokes. I am not offended as long as it’s all in fun.

Nothing about fishing forums gets me up in arms any more. I so don’t take anything serious from forums anymore. It’s not worth it. We all know we don’t have these types of conversations in person.

Sorry if I offended you. <I am sure there is a formula model somewhere that would compose my chemical makeup that makes me a smart ***.

Quote:

Thanks for not attacking anyone while referring to my profession as a "downgrade". Obviously, you think my comments about "G. Loomis snobs" referred to you. They did not. The problem is, I seem to have struck a nerve; maybe you feel you are a "G. Loomis snob". I would be the last one to criticize someone over what income they earn, and how they choose to spend said income.

Totally agree...all of my comments weren't directed ant any G. Loomis fanboys in particular. Fanboys of other brands can be just as annoying.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 01:09 PM   #34
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Wahts a fanboy?

BTW whats a fanboy? I hope it's not a new lure cuz the wife will kill me if I buy another new thing that everyone else has and I only bought it cuz they have one and I don't. You know with my unlimited budget and all.

Quote:

Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 01:17 PM   #35
nofearengineer

A "fanboy" is a term that originated in the comic book industry.

It basically describes someone who does these things:

1) Loves a particular item, brand, or celebrity/character.
2) Defends/pushes that item baselessly and relentlessly and against all perceived threats or challenges as to its superiority.
3) Refuses to even consider the possibility that they are doing 2)

You've seen them in arguments over Mac/PC, Ford/Chevy/Dodge, Evinrude/Mercury, Abu/Daiwa/Shimano, etc.
Old 04-10-10, 10:43 PM   #36
Bender

I've never broken a GLX either but I don't hammer on them like some other rods.

NFE: These might work for the C-Rig keeper: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
If the link doesn't work go to BPS and search for "keeper". It's the little velcro tab that holds drop shot rigs.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 11:16 PM   #37
nofearengineer

I think I'm just gonna hit the local Hobby Lobby and see if they have any Velcro....I've got a lot of other project stuff I need to find there too.
Old 04-21-10, 07:59 PM   #38
Bassboss

OK, lemme add this:

I'm thinking it'll have micro guides, and very good ones!.. and look a little different then the "classical" look Loomis is know for! That should bump the price up 50 bucks from the GLX I'm guessing. Now if the blank is as "revolutionary" as it's being made out to be, and with 17 years in the making (longer than I've been alive ), than it HAS to be a better blank then the GLX weather it's being made from graphite or not! I also think this is gonna be a SICK looking rod, still not flashy colors like JDM rods (couldn't imagine a JDM looking Loomis), but more like rattle snake skin on the split grip, and awesome looking thread wraps. Or something along those lines anyways!

Just my opinion on the new rod!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.