Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-10, 04:33 PM   #1
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Just wondering....

I don't want to tickle any feathers but lately we have been seeing a lot of:
What reel should I buy?
What rod should I buy?
What line should I buy?

And we see a lot of different answers, which is a good thing. My question is when you recommend a product are you doing so from first hand knowledge (i.e. - YOU OWN IT) or from what you have "read" from some tackle web page? It seems like some are recommending products they have never used, just played with at a store or saw on line.
Again, just wondering and I could be 100% wrong and everybody owns what they recommend. I've been wrong a few times in my life....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 05:15 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

VERY good question my friend. If i ever say i like something, it is because I USE it or OWN it. If i don't have it, i will say so. If i have a friend that uses or owns something and he or she likes it, i will say that as well. If i read something (rarely read anyway, mostly see it on the tube), i will say that as well. A lot of things are researched very well and sometimes things are well written to make a product look good, so beware and take a test drive i think is in order before one says he/she endorses a product.
Old 04-22-10, 05:18 PM   #3
cassidyta

Great question. I can tell you that I only reccomend products that I own or have owned.
Old 04-22-10, 07:04 PM   #4
bcklash

I agree 100%. Playing with it in a store and actually using it is 2 different things.
Old 04-22-10, 07:09 PM   #5
Jrob78

99% of the time if I recommend something it's because i have personal experience with it. On the rare occasion that I recommend something that i haven't used I always say, "it has the reputation," or "I have a friend," or something to that effect. I never recommend a product that I haven't used without some sort of disclaimer.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 08:43 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

Anything I recommend I have 1st hand experience with it either by owning it or by using it extensively.

I have stopped recommending things because it's becoming too much of brand biased subject. Not that that's a bad thing, but I feel there's no reason for me to recommend Abu Garcia's or St Croix when 20 other people are going to do the same thing.

I am however, more than happy to give my input if someone has a specific question about a piece of equipment.

Good question, and I doubt any feathers are ruffled on anyone here.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 04-22-10 at 10:25 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 09:14 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Great question! I will never recommend a product that I don't have first hand experience with. In fact I won't recommend a product that I haven't used several times. For example if a partner of mine has something that I think is a good product I still won't recommend it as a good product until I have used it enough times to be convinced of such, or if I have only used it a time or two I will be sure and tell you that my experience with it is limited but so far I like it. There are a lot of recommendations made on all forums where I find it hard to believe that the person has used the products enough to be recommending it and that type of stuff can lead someone to spend hard earned money on a product and be disapointed because it ends up being a lackluster product.
Old 04-22-10, 09:31 PM   #8
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I totally agree with whats been said, I only share my experiences with a product that I use regularly and try to give any pros or cons I have personally experienced.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 09:40 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Very good question, and I was actually just thinking about this today.

I have no problem giving my opinions about stuff that I have just held, but I ALWAYS state that they're just first impressions and that I've never used the gear. Now I don't give detailed info about how well a reel casts or something from just messin with it in the store, but I will comment on ergonomics, and stuff like that.

However, if I'm going to be going into any more details about something, I like to have used it myself. Or I'll state I've heard such and such about a rod or bait, etc.

But I don't think anyone should EVER recommend something if its not based on personal opinions and experience.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 04-22-10 at 10:21 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 10:23 PM   #10
tim4081

I think everyone should just be honest about recomendations. If you know someone who has used a product and shared their opinion with you than be sure to state that. If you read something about an item than state that. If you personally have used something than state that.

Perhaps just as important is to state a time frame where applicable for something you've used. If you just got a new reel for example and used it once than state that....don't just say "its a great reel" because you don't really know that.....you don't know how well it will hold up over time for example.

If everyone is just honest about their recomendations and includes the pertinent information we can all learn from each other and hopefully become better fishermen.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 10:29 PM   #11
Backwater Charlie

Hehe, you got me! I've recommended quite a few things that I don't own! I've played around with quite a few reels and used quite a few reels but don't own a portion of the stuff I recommend. I do use a lot of things such as "I'd love to own one of these" or blah, blah, blah which is a hint that I don't own it...

IMO, I think it's okay for someone to recommend something they haven't neccesairly "owned" but more than less "played with" or used. But, of course, 1st hand experience is always best for a recommendation.
Old 04-22-10, 10:38 PM   #12
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
If i ever say i like something, it is because I USE it or OWN it. If i don't have it, i will say so. If i have a friend that uses or owns something and he or she likes it, i will say that as well. If i read something (rarely read anyway, mostly see it on the tube), i will say that as well. A lot of things are researched very well and sometimes things are well written to make a product look good, so beware and take a test drive i think is in order before one says he/she endorses a product.
Same here also.
Old 04-23-10, 11:00 AM   #13
brokentip
BassFishin.Com Member

What a great question: I frequently ask questions about bass products and have had some very good help. But if a person gathers all the helpful info. and then does their homework. They can come up with a pretty good idea about a product. Oh! I have been stung a few times sure but I still use this approach when buying an unknown product. Everyone I have met in the bass world, both on the water and the net have always been very helpful. Thank you all for helping Me and the many other Newbes.
brokentip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 01:45 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
VERY good question my friend. If i ever say i like something, it is because I USE it or OWN it. If i don't have it, i will say so. If i have a friend that uses or owns something and he or she likes it, i will say that as well. If i read something (rarely read anyway, mostly see it on the tube), i will say that as well. A lot of things are researched very well and sometimes things are well written to make a product look good, so beware and take a test drive i think is in order before one says he/she endorses a product.
What Bama said. If I recommend something it is because I have actually used it or state if I haven't used it but know firsthand someone that has used and recommend it. Along those same lines, there are several folks here that if they recommend something you can take it to the bank it is worth using.
Old 04-24-10, 04:37 AM   #15
islandbass

I agree and subsribce to the philosphy of recommending what you use but I can think of at least two cases in which you can validly make a recommendation without using tackle in question:

Case 1: The Post Starter asks a question giving choices. For example, he or she might ask, "Which would you buy, Reel A or Reel B?

If I felt like giving a recommendation, I just might but I might not. This question gives a choice and does not recommend nor require previous use of tackle or gear. For these questions, I believe that every given recommendation is valid and worthy.

Now if the poster qualifies the question and says something along the lines of, if you've both, which do you prefer and why, that's a different ball game. If I haven't used article in question I will not answer the question because there is nothing I can contribute to the discussion.

Case #2: Giving a recommendation based on previous models.

This is a special case for me and for an example, I will use the curado. I have a few curados, the Curado BSF (old greenie) and a couple of Curado Ds. My experience with them is extensive and I am familiar with the quality and goodness packed in everyone of those reels. Enter the Curado E and the Citica E. The latter in many ways is superior to the Curado BSF and might have an edge or two over the Curado D.

Given the level of improvements the Es have over the BSF and the Es, I am comfortable saying or telling folks that the Citica or Curado E would be fine choices. The is a history from which I can give a fair recommendation of something that I have not used. Many times, and more often than not, this case is very much linked to the first in which a question is asked in the form, "Which do you like, Reel A or Reel B?" without further qualification or clarification.
Old 04-25-10, 02:40 AM   #16
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Pretty much the same here...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 09:13 AM   #17
Cavs1123

I always reccommend my rod/reel/bait beacuse if you just felt it in the store how do you know how well its gonna perform?
Old 04-25-10, 09:31 AM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
What Bama said. If I recommend something it is because I have actually used it or state if I haven't used it but know firsthand someone that has used and recommend it. Along those same lines, there are several folks here that if they recommend something you can take it to the bank it is worth using.
Exactly!!! And another thing that bothers me is often reading comments online about products, I'll often read, "I've only used this product once but"...There is no way to know after just one usage how a product is going to perform. "So far so good" is an ok comment for that situation but not for a long term recommendation.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 12:39 PM   #19
lilmule

Same here own it and use it
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:58 PM   #20
Jim80

i'll only recommend stuff that i own .

jim
Old 04-25-10, 10:21 PM   #21
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
i'll only recommend stuff that i own .

jim
Im with Jim...If I recommend it , I have it.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.