Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-26-10, 02:33 AM   #1
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod Advice??

Ok so I have been fishing with the traditional ugly sticks for a while now. I recently have been spending a lot more time on the water usually 3-5 days on my 7 days off(work 7 on 7off). Anyways after fishing for 6-8 hours a day I find that my wrist are killing me. So I'm looking for a lighter rod. This will be mainly used for worm or jig fishing. Lookin to spend anywhere from $50-100. So whats everyone's suggestions?
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 08:18 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bass pro shops CarbonLite rod! I've handled these in the stores only, but they're very light and balance well with a reel on them (I don't remember which ones, probably Revo's, and an Daiwa HSTA). I've read reviews on other forums as well, saying that they're more sensitive and light next to the comparable Abu Garcia Vendetta. How ever the Vendetta's are better balanced (with a reel >= 8oz) Thus making them feel lighter.

Thoughts would the two rods I would go with right now, but if you wanna said 'till September, than check out the Abu Garcia Veritas rods. They're suppose to 20% lighter than the vendetta, but that a long ways way!
Old 04-26-10, 08:21 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Are you using a baitcasting or spinning reel for fishing these? I'll assume you're using a baitcaster for my recomendations. If you're not, I find them more versatile for fishing jigs and worms than spinning gear, so you may want to look into using one.

Anyone looking for a rod in that price range is in luck. Over the past year, almost every rod company has come out with a "value market rod". These rods are aimed at anglers who want good gear, but don't want to spend a small fortune.

But first let's cover rods specs for worms and jigs. The following are just guidelines designed to help angler get a starting point.

Jigs – 6’10”-7’3”; MH-H; F-XF – Casting jigs is easily accomplished with a 7’ rod, or one close to it. Depending on the size of the jig and the cover you’ll be fishing, a MH or H rod is perfect. For jigs, a F or XF action is also ideal.

Texas Rig – 6’6”-7’4”; M-MH; F-XF – When it comes to length, there is a large selection when it comes to t-rig rods. Some prefer a 6’6”, some prefer a long 7’ or even 7’2”-7’4”. This is mainly personal preference here. A M power is good for lighter t-rig, and a MH is good for heavier ones. Always use a F or XF action for t-rigs. I may go with the F for lighter t-rigs and the XF for heavier ones.

Rods you'll want to check out include: Abu Garcia Vendetta ($80-90), Falcon Bucoo (100-110), Lamiglass Excel (110-120), Shimano Compre (100-110), W&M Skeet Reese Tessera (90), Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite (90-120).

I can guarantee all of these rods will be more sensitive than the ugly sticks if that's what you're used to. Of all of these rods, I've only used the Abu Garcia Vendetta, and only for a very short time, so I can't comment on it's performance. The Vendetta's build quality seems to be very good for a rod in this price range. All the guides are straight and secure. The reel seat is secure. I've had to issues with it in the short time I've had it.

BB
Old 04-26-10, 06:14 PM   #4
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

Well if i get somewhat of a double post sorry Internet on phone sometimes sucks. But yes baitcasters is about all I fish with. I am using a revo s, sx, and a winch. I had been leaning towards the Skeet Reese rods. I was just unsure if They were of good quality or just overpriced with his name on it. Guess I need to make the hour trip to bass pro and see what the rest of the Rods feel like in my hands.
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:13 PM   #5
WTL

Triglet, google aqua superstore. They had fishing gear and vendetta rods for $50 something, which is a rod that abu makes with the Revos in mind. Thats a great deal for $50 bucks.

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/outdoo...tion~4319.html
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:02 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falco...page-FOGC.html

I would start with these!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:15 AM   #7
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Abu garcia vendetta, stm croix mojo bass.
Old 04-27-10, 12:20 PM   #8
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Best deal right now - Kistler Argon 7'1" Heavy/fast from Simmon's Sporting Goods Ebay store. ROD IS $99.00 NEW, FREE SHIPPING. List was $209.00. No better deal ANYWHERE.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item483a3ccb14

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-27-10 at 12:25 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 04:20 PM   #9
fish4adream
BassFishin.Com Member

Another option would be looking at the cheaper versions of carrotstix. Very light, yet sensitive.
fish4adream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 11:42 PM   #10
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In that price range there are a tremendous number of offerings. I have a carbonlite spin rod but while I like it, I haven't used it to the point of recommending it yet.

BPS has several other rod lines which you might want to look at including the bionic blades and extremes. I've used both of these and while both are decent rods I'd go with the extreme especially when they're on sale.

I would also recommend Falcon Low Riders, while they are in the 130 price range, they are well worth the extra dollars.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 11:45 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Best deal right now - Kistler Argon 7'1" Heavy/fast from Simmon's Sporting Goods Ebay store. ROD IS $99.00 NEW, FREE SHIPPING. List was $209.00. No better deal ANYWHERE.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item483a3ccb14

Thats not one of the rods that had a broken tip, is it? They used to sell unintentionally shortened kistlers on ebay all the time.
Old 04-28-10, 06:02 AM   #12
bassboogieman

NOT DAMAGED, as I said in original post they are NEW W/TAGS. This line has been discontinued by Kister (possible may be re-introduced in 2011). They are being heavily discounted by several sellers, and this is the best deal yet! However - it is KILLING the secondary market, very difficult to sell a used Kistler now with the new rods being sold off at clearance prices. There is ONE AUTHORIZED seller of "reconditioned" Kistler rods (which means repaired due to broken tips) on Ebay, these rods are not from that seller.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 12:20 PM   #13
WTL

OK, just wanted to see. Wouldnt have asked if it werent 7'1"....
Old 04-28-10, 01:41 PM   #14
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check out B&R Outlaw rods,they are super light and they $140 with a lifetime warranty,thats the only brand rod I use now,I'v got 11 of them.
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 12:32 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Triglet, as you can see you will get as many different opinions as there are fishermen. Rather than recommend another brand/type of rod here is the advice I give anyone asking this question:

Go someplace that sells rods and handle a few. See which ones feel right to you and go from there. That way you will get what works for you.
Old 05-01-10, 05:57 PM   #16
Captmikestarrett

A 16 foot cane pool and a 4 inch shinner. Works great and folds up to store safely in the back of your truck. OH nobody would ever steal a pole that costs 1 US dollar a foot.

But if you want to cast farther then 16 feet I suggest a St Croix. Can not go wrong with a St Croix.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.