Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-27-11, 10:57 AM   #1
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Running to rich?

I have a 1995 Johnson outboard on my bass boat. When I put it in the water it usually takes a couple tries to get it started but after it fires it runs fine. The problem is after running for a while we will shut it off out on the lake to fish or so on. The engine is usually off for an hour or two. When we get ready to go back and I start it, it fires instantly, but will have a very difficult time idling. It seems to just not want to idle. You have to constantly give it some throttle. Then when I try to take off it bogs out. Usually takes several tries to open the throttle up before it will take off good.
Could it be running to rich? I have read several things on this and see where there is also idle mixture adjustments as well.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
amace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 11:11 AM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

carbed? could be a lot of things. bad float seats,low compression,plugs,fuel pump ,etc
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 12:07 PM   #3
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes it is carb. Sounds like I have a lot of things to check.
Old 06-27-11, 01:23 PM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When I had the same issue, it was the fuel pump diaphram. It was an easy fix in the end.
Old 06-27-11, 10:12 PM   #5
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Have you fixed the tachometer? Im still sure that the voltage regulator is bad i had the same problems with my motor. the same questions you are asking is what brought me to this sight in the first place. My Johnson acted exactly like yours if the voltage regulator is bad your motor will burn more oil than is needed, making it hard to start. check your spark plugs, Id put money on it that they are fouled. I bet it smokes like crazy until it warms up. you are right about the price of the regulator but if you have any mechanical ability you can change it yourself but id check to see if an air relief was installed before you run the new one. By the way the whole motor is not over heating, the block just traps air around the regulators cooling fins....... Lets see..... I rebuilt carbs, changed plugs, bought batteries, used alot more oil than i needed and all it needed was a voltage reg. and air relieved.
I haven't bought batteries in 2 years and my motor fires right up and idles smooth now.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 07:48 AM   #6
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

I was about to give up and take it in to the shop today until I read your post. I'll check it out again and see if that doesn't solve it. One other question though is how do I tell if the regulator is bad or not? I'm not very familiar with them. Thanks
Old 06-28-11, 07:38 PM   #7
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

some fish finders read the voltage out put to your battery. if you dont have one that does that use a voltage meter that you can hold directly on the battery while someone starts the motor when the motor is idling the meter should give you a reading close to 12v while the meter is still connected to the battery rev your engine up if the regulator is working the volts will go up to 13-14 if it doesnt go up its not allowing the stator to charge the battery.... if it goes way up then the regulator is allowing it to overcharge. Im not sure if what i said makes since but if you need me to explain it better IM me your phone # and ill try to call you.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 11:51 AM   #8
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the useful information. I will try this out when I take the boat out. One thing I remember is that the last time I had it out when I was running it WOT I looked at the battery meter on the dash and it was maxed out. I hadn't payed attention to this before but it didn't seem normal. When I brought it back to idle it dropped back to green. Could this be a sign as well?
Last night I changed the plugs and while doing so I looked in the cylinders and the pistons had what seemed to be abnormal carbon build-up. Also took off the airbox and clean the fuel filter. When I took the airbox off there was alot of fuel or oil in the holes which rest over the carbs. I didnt think this was normal either. After doing some cleaning, changing plugs, and also adding some seafoam to the fuel I took it for a run and it seemed a little better untill I shut it down for about an hour. When I restarted it, it would not idle, and when trying to give it throttle to take off it would bog and die. Same as its been doing. It seems as if its using a lot of oil. More and more pointing to regulator I think. Still learning though. I'll try what you said and see what I get.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-11, 04:14 PM   #9
Embrey

what model and hp is this motor?
Old 06-30-11, 12:33 PM   #10
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

It is a 1995 Johnson 175 Fast Strike
Old 07-02-11, 01:04 PM   #11
Embrey

check all the jets behind the drain plugs on the carbs. if theyre plastic, i guarantee theyre all loose or maybe even out if they dont have the new style drain plugs in them.may not help the problem,but needs to be checked anyway
Old 07-04-11, 07:43 AM   #12
Captmikestarrett

I had the same issue on the same engine and it was a grounding strap on the regulator.

Also there was power pack fix from Johnson that used thermo greese on the power pack to help cool the unit.

Also try to clean the carb each year and then replace the plugs..it helps..

Capt Mike
Old 07-04-11, 07:50 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Use the carb cleaner and remove any black residue on throttle body intake. And look in intake for the needle seat (brass small round thing) and hit that as well.

Then change plugs..

Capt Mike
Old 07-04-11, 10:02 AM   #14
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok guys I appreciate the help. I'll give these things a try and see what that does.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.